Thread: Politicians are killing this area

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Politicians are killing this area

This opinion is from the Buffalo News

Politicians are killing this area

5/15/2006 It seems like all the efforts to rid Western New York of the politicians who got us in the mess we're in was just folly. In the words of W.C. Fields, there is a sucker born every minute. What Fields did not know is that they all live in Western New York.
    First, Assembly Majority Leader Paul Tokasz threatened county legislators with a decrease in state funding if they did not share county sales tax funds with the local governments. Of course, the new legislators folded like cards.
    Tokasz then told them that he could offset the loss of revenue with the help of state funding. Unfortunately for us, the state budget does not have any extra funding for Erie County. Oh my. I guess we will have to have another tax increase next year to offset the $50 million that we will be short.
    Next, Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown gave extra money to the Police Department for overtime pay, circumventing the control board. Nice move. That is obviously pay-back for the union's election support. The last hope I had for the area was the new mayor, but I guess he is all talk and little action. I thought he would bring in people outside of the usual politics. But after four months, it appears that it is politics as usual.
    The News has published articles about why people leave the area. There can be no better explanation than our politicians. They are the cancer that is killing the area.
    Camille Zephro
    Lackawanna

I can't agree entirely with that letter. The voters put each and every one of those politicians in office.

And why the writer would have put so much faith in Mayor Brown to begin with is beyond me. Was there ever any reason to think he'd be something other than the status quo?

I Kinda agree, people in NY/WNY vote 1 of 2

1. for the status quo
    2. With their feet

As ye sow so shall ye reap

TimeOut Chair
    this is just one person's opinion who obvious reads the Buffalo News like the bible; takes the BN as religious w/o even knowing the city's recommended budget.

ask him what the total police dept is recommended?

answer: $66,792,204 is the recommended amount for the Buffalo Police Department.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Next, Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown gave extra money to the Police Department for overtime pay, circumventing the control board. Nice move.
    Where's Spitzer if this is the case. Sort of takening advantage of the system to give the unions what they want at the expense of the consumer? How does one make overtime that basically isn't needed? When does the amount of overtime warrant an invesigation for fraud? If it's really not needed but created to just raise compensation over all isn't that fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    this is just one person's opinion who obvious reads the Buffalo News like the bible; takes the BN as religious w/o even knowing the city's recommended budget.

ask him what the total police dept is recommended?

answer: $66,792,204 is the recommended amount for the Buffalo Police Department.
    Recommended by....?

TimeOut Chair
    recommended by the Buffalo's Mayor Byron Brown.

TimeOut Chair
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Where's Spitzer if this is the case. Sort of takening advantage of the system to give the unions what they want at the expense of the consumer? How does one make overtime that basically isn't needed? When does the amount of overtime warrant an invesigation for fraud? If it's really not needed but created to just raise compensation over all isn't that fraud?
    nice post, you didnt know what the recommended total for the police was until i posted it. the most spitzer could say is that it isnt enacted as a buffalo budget.

How does one make overtime that basically isn't needed?
    How does one make assumptions w/o being a city of buffalo copper, or one in buffalo govt?

When does the amount of overtime warrant an invesigation for fraud?
    call spitzer.

TimeOut Chair
    if facts arent enough for you, the railroad tax exempt is recommended at a million more than the police.

Thread Information