Thread: Drive Throughs

Drive Throughs

Okay, so my life is always chaotic and now with my new job it is even more chaotic... I'm always in a rush and don't often have time to cook. As a result I have been going through drive throughs a lot lately. Tim Horton's has finally sucked me in with their crack coffee, Burger King and McDonald's have taken over my arteries and when I'm not hitting the drive throughs I'm buying either takeout pizza or Chinese.

Does anyone else find themselves falling victim to drive through dining? How do you wean yourself off? What are the healthier alternatives?

Oh, by the way... Here's a little trick I learned. You want to make your coffee at home taste like Timmy Ho's? PUT A PINCH OF SALT IN YOUR COFFEE. I'm serious! It works. I read that the salt takes away the bitterness of the coffee and gives it more of a pungent flavor.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Actually, I have not fallen prey to drive thrus. I don't eat BK or Mickey D's, i do get the occasional Tim horton's cup of coffee or a muffin. What has hooked me is the damn Wokery at Wegmans. I could eat that stuff 5 times a week. I don't, but, boy, could I..
    Chaos, Panic, Disorder, my work here is done!

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta13
    Actually, I have not fallen prey to drive thrus. I don't eat BK or Mickey D's, i do get the occasional Tim horton's cup of coffee or a muffin. What has hooked me is the damn Wokery at Wegmans. I could eat that stuff 5 times a week. I don't, but, boy, could I..
    Yeah, the Wegmans Wokery stuff is great. Too bad it's about 8 bucks a pound though! I loaded up one time and ended up spending way too much money.

Speaking of Wegmans delicacies... Did you ever try the famed Wegmans cheese bread? Mmmmm... Strangely enough, back in high school my friends and I would stop at Wegmans and buy a loaf of cheese bread and pass it around and eat it in the car during our "joy rides."

Yes, strange teenagers we were
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

ACtually, it is $6.79 lb . Anyways, what I do to keep the price down, is to skip stuff with rice. Cooked rice is heavy, and I can surely cook some at home if I want it to go along with the other stuff. i also keep some jars of sweet and sour and orange sauces on hand, so I don't have to get that stuff at the Wokery. I tend to go more for the meat and shrimp items, as well as the egg rolls. ANd, yes, I love their cheese bread...

Wegman's sushi is pretty good too. I'm somewhat convinced that the Drive-Thru issue is no-win. It's all pretty bad. I took my daughter to BK once when she was very young, because all her friends raved, she felt sick almost immediately and hasn't wanted fast food since

Welcome to PJ Land, may I take your order?

Achbek,
    Make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I like the extra crunchy peanut butter and the raspberry jelly with the seeds.
    Infact, I have a great idea. I hope no one steals it and gets rich off it before I do.
    Drive thru Peanut Butter and Jelly Land! Just imagine.
    The overhead wouldn't be bad because you wouldn't need any cooking equipment.
    It would be healthier and less expensive than BK or McDonald's
    Now if you had five types of bread to choose from, five peanut butters and ten jellies; that's 250 different choices/combinations!!

I could see you now driving thru, " Hmmmm. .....let's see.. .....um....okay. I'll have the creamy PB with grape jam on pumpernickel, today ."

Cool idea. "Stick & Slide Express"..

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta13
    Cool idea. "Stick & Slide Express"..
    hehehe ....

I bet that go over well with the soccer Moms!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    hehehe ....

I bet that go over well with the soccer Moms!!

I'd go too. This calls for a poll
    It's not a silly idea for a poll, either.
    I need a demographic check to see how it would fly.

California Had drive thru traffic courts. menus were posted stating what each type of ticket cost and when you reached the window you showed the your license and paid the ticket. I don't know if they still have then but back during the late 60"s I used these windows quite often.
    Micky D's and b king still get my business sometimes but I always need a roll of charmen afterwards.
    now its Timmy's place or Noco if I need gas got to have my coffee all the time
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

In regard to the idea of having healthier food options for drive throughs, one coiuld argue that Boston Market may seem like a compromise. They at least serve cooked chicken and vegetables. (I think I worked at a Boston Market for about a week back in college... I blocked most of it out of my mind. But that is where I learned the trick about using salsa as meat loaf sauce.)

A friend of mine is a funky, metrosexual, New Age type of vegetarian guy. I asked him what kinds of quick meals he brings to work or for eating on the run... He says he likes to consume a lot of vegetarian chili and... He says his main source of protein is beans. He also complains of frequent stomach troubles.

How come Buffalo doesn't have any drive-through Motels?

I've heard they exist elsewhere.

here's a grown-up version to P B & Jelly - P B & Grapes! Yes, fresh grapes instead of jelly, I cut mine in half and squish them into the P B and eat the sandwich open-face- yummy!

Great! Now you got me smashin' up strawberries and raspberries. Both worked out nicely, btw.

Strange yes, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    Yeah, the Wegmans Wokery stuff is great. Too bad it's about 8 bucks a pound though! I loaded up one time and ended up spending way too much money.

Speaking of Wegmans delicacies... Did you ever try the famed Wegmans cheese bread? Mmmmm... Strangely enough, back in high school my friends and I would stop at Wegmans and buy a loaf of cheese bread and pass it around and eat it in the car during our "joy rides."

Yes, strange teenagers we were

I once stopped at tops just to buy a tube of chocolate chip cookie dough.....
    Ate a bunch of it in the car...MMMMMMMM,
    followed by extreme upset stomach!!
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Thread Information