Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Courtesy Promotes Safety Program

Thumbs up Courtesy Promotes Safety Program

I feel Western New York needs a Courtesy Promotes Safety Program to help increasing motorist awareness of
    yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks and reducing conflicts between motorists and pedestrians. They need to utilize the people who are qualified to could enforce this awareness in the engineering, education,
    and enforcement efforts. The Courtesy Promotes Safety program increased motorists' willing to stop for pedestrians at crosswalks from 33 to 73 percent and reduced crashes in crosswalks by 50 percent.
    I live very close to a corner Avery Ave and Delaware Ave. that I called hit-and-run alley. In the last 10 years has been a very busy area for pedestrians being hit by motorists because their discourtesy to pedestrians. At that time I brought this problem to the attention of the Council members of the City of Buffalo. In all this time they have done very little to help people for the City of Buffalo. The federal government provides grants for cities to help to promotes safety within the city. Personally I don't think it would cost City of Buffalo or Western New York to have Courtesy Promotes Safety Program for this area. The biggest problem in this area that we do not have traffic engineering working with community groups to make the neighborhood safer. If the City of Buffalo really was enforcing the law would not have people going through red lights and not even hitting their breaks. The reason you have discourtesy in the city is because no one is paying the price of being ill responsible to willing to stop for pedestrians at crosswalks.
    If the Street Engineering is were doing their job they would not put stoplights in sequence with a particular speed in the City of Buffalo. They were taken out of sequence so that motorist would have to slow down their speed going through the City of Buffalo. If the Police Department for the City of Buffalo was writing more tickets and enforcing the law concerting traffic within the City of Buffalo you would have less problems of discourtesy drivers. If the State of New York with the Engineering department with the City of Buffalo were working together they could solve many problems concerning yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks and reducing conflicts between motorists and pedestrians. If the community groups in junction with the educational department were working together they could solve many problems relating to safety in the City of Buffalo streets.
    If Western New York had more courtesy drivers this would be a better neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon-7
    If the Street Engineering is were doing their job they would not put stoplights in sequence with a particular speed in the City of Buffalo. They were taken out of sequence so that motorist would have to slow down their speed going through the City of Buffalo.

So, it is your contention that, by making it more difficult to drive thru the city, it will be safer? Do we even want to address the added fuel usage? Relaese of brake materials? The increased cost of wear and tear on uncounted cars? Timed stoplights benefit all users, automotive and pedistrian alike. Motorists can move in an orderly fashon at a safe speed and pedistrians who do their part by observing signals and traffic conditions have a clear path. Of course, limiting the number of crosswalks would also contribute to safety. Not every intersection is a good place to cross the street. Of course, if we could just get people to cross at intersections, it would be a major victory.

Look both ways. Don't expect the city to do it for you.

Discourtesy Driver

[QUOTE=Northshore]So, it is your contention that, by making it more difficult to drive thru the city, it will be safer? Do we even want to address the added fuel usage? Relaese of brake materials? The increased cost of wear and tear on uncounted cars? Timed stoplights benefit all users, automotive and pedistrian alike. Motorists can move in an orderly fashon at a safe speed and pedistrians who do their part by observing signals and traffic conditions have a clear path. Of course, limiting the number of crosswalks would also contribute to safety. Not every intersection is a good place to cross the street.
    Look both ways. QUOTE]

You were able to do something that I was not able to do. That was to describe the attitude of the discourtesy driver about highway safety.
    I rest my case.

It is not just the driver that does not have safety in mind. Let us not forget the responsibility of the pedestrian. Courtesy goes both ways. It's not just 'road rage' but also 'walking rage' and more common sense by all that would make a safer journey. #1 thought to keep in mind: it is far easier to stop walking then to stop a motor vehicle.
    "God's grace and mercy have brought you through. Quit acting as if you made it on your own." ~ T. D. Jakes

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a dilusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ~ Unknown

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. ~ Walt Disney

12/21/2012

I don't know how many times I've tried to make a left or a right turn at an intersection only to find a pedestrian in the cross walk...defying the cross walk sign indicating they shouldn’t be crossing the street in that direction at that time (you know, the little hand, palm out, which replaced the "Don't Walk" words because the streets and sign people realized to many pedestrians are illiterate and thy needed to use icons instead of words).

That and allot of pedestrians in Buffalo refuse to use the sidewalk and walk in the street instead.

We should have the Flagstaff local law which states that a motorist must give way to a pedestrian who is crossing within the crosswalk lines--no stop signs or traffic lights required.
    I wonder if that's still enforceable considering the city's recent growth.
    Try this in Buffalo.

And why do so many people walk in the street when there's a perfectly good sidewalk?

I would suggest checking the crosswalk BEFORE trying to make a turn, and not looking at the walk signals when driving. Whether a person should or shouldn't be in the street at any given moment really wouldn't make me feel any better if I hit them with my car. It takes only a couple of seconds to step on the brake & let someone pass, and most motorists will make up the time by breaking the speed limit, anyway.

I used to visit friends in Erie, where the limit was 25 & enforced; people around here would go bananas, I bet. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Edisonic
    "I would suggest checking the crosswalk BEFORE trying to make a turn, and not looking at the walk signals when driving. Whether a person should or shouldn't be in the street at any given moment really wouldn't make me feel any better if I hit them with my car. It takes only a couple of seconds to step on the brake & let someone pass..."
    Now you're talking gibberish.

If the pedestrian is crossing against the crosswalk sign and I'm making my turn, then they're history, plain and simple.

I'm gotten used to the loud bump of the front wheels running over their heads, but it's that damn screaming they do as I'm dragging their body under my car that starts to get on my nerves after awhile. I can't hear my music over that incessant din.

The little old lady's are the worst, man can they make a racket with their constant, "HELP...I'M UNDER YOUR CAR, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST STOP AND GET ME OUT...YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!"

The other bad part is once I get home trying to hose off the body parts and blood stains from the undercarriage of my car. What a royal pain in the ass it is trying to get kidney and spleen juice off my leaf springs. Man that crap stains.

Anyway, I figure by hitting a few jaywalkers I'm keeping the other lawbreakers on the curb and doing the rest of society a public service.
    Last edited by NoCtUrNaL; May 7th, 2006 at 06:46 PM.

Thumbs down

"Noctural" is proof that a great many people aren't smart enough to drive an automobile. That attitude is exactly what tells me I have gotten past Rochester, when driving back home from farther East ... "here they are, driving like idiots, trying to pass on the wrong side, cut everyone off, just to be first! I must be near home!"

How many "r"s are in Forest?
    Last edited by ForestBird; May 7th, 2006 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForestBird
    "Noctural" is proof that a great many people aren't smart enough to drive an automobile. That attitude is exactly what tells me I have gotten past Rochester, when driving back home from farther East ... "here they are, driving like idiots, trying to pass on the wrong side, cut everyone off, just to be first! I must be near home!"

"ForestBird" is his/her own proof that he/she is a hypocrite and perhaps he/she shouldn't throw stones.

What exactly are "spead" wings?

Regarding my driving habits, I drive about 50,000 a miles a year. My last moving violation was in "95" (illegal U-turn on Sheridan). Before that, my last ticket was in "81". Never been in an accident, never hit anyone.

Given your proclivity to call in to question others behaviors of which yours is obviously suspect, I'd be willing to bet your driving record isn't without its blemishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ForestBird

In regards to the first sentence of your post, ForestBird, I am hoping you didn't take Nocturnal's wit literally--I hope!

And Nocturnal--do you travel at night? And sleep all day? Don't see a lot of pedestrians that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore
    Look both ways. Don't expect the city to do it for you.
    Perfect! You've succinctly summarized the problem. In this day and age of "nanny government" and entitlement programs, people don't take responsibility for themselves and expect the government to take care of them.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

New law

I do believe they passed a new law within the past year stateing that you have to stay stopped while a pedestrian is still in the crosswalk. So even if the wise ass punk is purposely walking slow and he passes the front of your car and he is still in the crosswalk it's a violation to procede. Even if the light has turned green and he is not in your lane. I wonder how many people even obay this one.

Y'know, bflo, I don't think that's so new--just being newly enforced? If I'm wrong, please tell me.

If pedestrians have the right of way in all circumstances, then why are spending millions, buying, installing, powering, and maintaining pedestrian crossing signals?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information