Thread: Universal healthcare: Two opposite sides: Which do you agree with?

Universal healthcare: Two opposite sides: Which do you agree with?

Not too much to read and VERY INTERESTING OPPOSING VIEWPOINTS ON THE HEALTH CARE DEBATE

From 'The Buffalo News'

August 24, 2009, 6:59 AM

Opinion section:

THE GOOD:

A healthy population is beneficial to society

I am a registered nurse who has had quality health insurance and care my entire life. I’m writing to advocate for those who have not been as fortunate.

I believe that health care is a human right and as much a government responsibility as protecting and educating its people. A healthy population benefits all.

Our current system is a hodgepodge of privately or investor-owned insurance, pharmaceutical, hospital and home care industries that have profit, rather than patient health and quality care, as the top priority. Too often they attempt to avoid unprofitable patients and shift costs back to patients by denying coverage. We are all a catastrophic injury or illness away from bankruptcy even with health insurance, unless you are extremely wealthy or one of our elected representatives.

I am disheartened that President Obama seems ready to waste this precious opportunity and cave in to special interests and Republican fear-mongering by abandoning the public option in health reform. Other industrialized nations provide for the care of their citizens.

Our government spends billions of dollars on a variety of programs, many of which have dubious benefits for our citizens. Where are our priorities? Where is our moral compass? I cannot think of a single government expenditure, other than the protection and education of our people, that would be more beneficial to society.

Patricia Ford

Hamburg

THE BAD:

Abolish all government funding of health care

The American people are coming to the realization that universal health care is about as likely as universal wealth. Not everyone can have the same level of care. Capable people have to start taking responsibility for themselves and their families. Hard choices must be made. But that doesn’t mean the government should be in this.

Let’s abolish all government funding of health care. Allow the people to keep the tax dollars that would otherwise be spent on this. Put the responsibility of paying for one’s health care entirely back on the individual.

What about children, the elderly and the disabled, you ask? The American people are charitable and compassionate. It would be difficult at first, but existing charitable groups would step up, new ones would take root and the people would give.

Through their own voluntary giving to the charities of their choice, the people would finally be deciding how to allot our finite health care resources, not some political special interest group or government bureaucrat. Imagine the savings we would see by cutting out the government and its paperwork. When health care is not subsidized by the government and the people pay what they can afford, prices would return to reality.

Joe Isom

East Amherst

AND THE UGLY:

Last edited by Dumbfounded; August 24th, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

I agree with the good
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Unregistered
    I'm going with, "the ugly."

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded View Post
    We are all a catastrophic injury or illness away from bankruptcy even with health insurance, unless you are extremely wealthy or one of our elected representatives.
    Doesnt have to be catastrophic... break a bone. doenst matter which, and your looking at tens of thousands of dollars if medical bills.

Personally I believe this was all 'planned' Make healthcare too expensive for the masses. Then jack up the fees for medical insurance till people cant afford that either. Then, the govt can come in and 'save' the day with their 'plan'

In the end however, we get shafted regardless.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Doesnt have to be catastrophic... break a bone. doenst matter which, and your looking at tens of thousands of dollars if medical bills.

Personally I believe this was all 'planned' Make healthcare too expensive for the masses. Then jack up the fees for medical insurance till people cant afford that either. Then, the govt can come in and 'save' the day with their 'plan'

In the end however, we get shafted regardless.

Joe Lieberman has joined the "let's stall healthcare" debate
    by stating that "President Obama should wait until the economy is better" BEFORE starting up a universal health care program (paraphrased).

Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Here's an interesting take on the health care issue: http://washingtoninformer.com/wi-web...ped&Itemid=154

Thread Information