Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are WNY drivers unable to merge in traffic?

Question Why are WNY drivers unable to merge in traffic?

Most times when I am on the 190 or 290, I encounter drivers entering the freeway who do not bother to slow down or speed up with respect to the automobiles all ready on the freeway. Even when there is only one car in the right lane (and any other car is at least 200 feet away), and there is plenty of time to adjust ones speed in entering the highway, many drivers decide not to do so. Why is this such a common occurance in WNY?

Quote Originally Posted by lewiston9
    Most times when I am on the 190 or 290, I encounter drivers entering the freeway who do not bother to slow down or speed up with respect to the automobiles all ready on the freeway. Even when there is only one car in the right lane (and any other car is at least 200 feet away), and there is plenty of time to adjust ones speed in entering the highway, many drivers decide not to do so. Why is this such a common occurance in WNY?
    To use the phrase from Buffalo Beast, "...proof of our failure as a species".

It's not limited to WNY, by a longshot. Go to MD, RI, or MA sometime and you'll think WNY has the most courteous drivers in the world.

Or, for that matter, go within a quarter-mile of a Wal-Mart anywhere in America.

"Most times when I am on the 190 or 290, I encounter drivers entering the freeway who do not bother to slow down or speed up with respect to the automobiles all ready on the freeway. Even when there is only one car in the right lane (and any other car is at least 200 feet away), and there is plenty of time to adjust ones speed in entering the highway, many drivers decide not to do so. Why is this such a common occurance in WNY?"

"To use the phrase from Buffalo Beast, "...proof of our failure as a species".
    It's not limited to WNY, by a longshot. Go to MD, RI, or MA sometime and you'll think WNY has the most courteous drivers in the world.
    Or, for that matter, go within a quarter-mile of a Wal-Mart anywhere in America."

It isn't just on the highways & byways, happens in any store in the country as well. It's called 'ignorance' & poor upbrining. They are telling you, "you don't matter, I am more important & your in my way."
    "God's grace and mercy have brought you through. Quit acting as if you made it on your own." ~ T. D. Jakes

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a dilusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ~ Unknown

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. ~ Walt Disney

12/21/2012

They drive with the following creed, "as long as I'M not inconvenienced, I can do anything I want".
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Good post. What is the traffic law dealing with this? I remember back in H.S. Driver's Ed., we were taught to obey any yield signs when entering a expressway but were also taught to get up to posted speed or current expressway condition speed when entering the expressway and merge into traffic as in a safe lane change(no, I'm not whipping around the ramp at 55MPH, lol). Most on ramps have enough road merge and road markings to get up to expressway speed before actually entering an expressway lane. With that said, I always adjust my speed when on an expressway and switch lanes if there is merging traffic coming onto the expressway.

Not to switch subjects here, but it bugs the heck out of me. Why do people insist on crossing a double yellow line and sit in the on coming traffic lanes just so they can make their left turn? I frigging hate that. Most double yellows are there for a reason and it's not to give you a left turn lane, it is there to divide the traffic coming in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisco Kid
    It isn't just on the highways & byways, happens in any store in the country as well. It's called 'ignorance' & poor upbrining. They are telling you, "you don't matter, I am more important & your in my way."
    No. Wal-Mart is worse. Go there on a Saturday evening sometime.

I swear, that place has parking-lot beacons that lower the IQ of anybody in a car by at least 50 points.

I usually park as far away from the door as possible. This way I don't need to drive around the 450-pound diabetic in the powered cart toting three shopping bags full of Doritos to her car.

I know I am not the best driver, my wife wll tell you that. But even I have noticed this in the last few months. I car pool from Buffalo to Niagara Falls for work and I can't believe what I see. I mean, people don't even look to there "blind spot" when they merge lanes.

There was an accident right in front of us on the 190, on Grand Island, northbound, where someone slammed into the car in the left lane. I don't see how the drive could of miss the car right next to them. It's INSANE.

I also saw this on my morning commute...
    check out this link...

www.todaysthv.com/news/KitchenSink/story.aspx?storyid=20076

I just drove through Missouri. They have their own technique: once you get in the left lane, stay there. Even if there's no other cars in sight.

An especially irritating variant is to stay in the left lane next to someone going exactly your speed.

For extra credit, have both of you drive at 56 mph and watch the backup behind you grow.

Another interesting technique is to have a funeral procession on the interstate. Lights flashing, doing 45 mph. Use at least 30 cars. If you're coming out of either KC or St. Louis, this has the potential to snarl four lanes of traffic.

See, we don't sound so bad, do we?
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Some of my pet peeves...

1. The driver in the first car at a red light who is always the last to notice the light turned green.

2. Drivers who need to be half way unto the shoulder of the road to make a left hand turn and drivers that need to drift into the left hand lane to make a right.

3. Drivers talking on cell phones who invariably drive 5 to 10 miles under the speed limit because the multitasking is overloading their one good brain cell.

4. Drivers who make 15 attempts to parallel park and up 3 feet from curb anyway.

5. Drivers who think the approach to a toll booth is a slalom course.

6. Drivers who brake when approaching an intersection that has a green light.

Unregistered
    Try driving in any MAJOR Metropolitan area. You'll be happy driving in the Buffalo area.

OK, I'll shoot. Not just limited to drivers, but roads in general.

1) People that cannot grasp the first-in-first-out logic of a stopsign-based intersection. An added note is the 'waver' that insists you go first. Put your f'ing foot down and go already.

2) While I'm on the subject of Aurora and Como, here's another. THERE IS ONLY ONE LANE. THIS MEANS IF YOU'RE TURNING RIGHT AND I'M TURNING LEFT, STAY THE F BEHIND ME. Cripes that's irritating...not to mention absurdly dangerous. What if one of the two waves another on and the other punches it?

3) Speed kills. Yeah, right. Speed generates revenue. Gieco "donates" radar guns to police departments to make roads safer...of course, the 'dangerous' driver pays more for insurance, doesn't he?

And while I'm at it, when is the last time a cop paid a higher insurance premium for a speeding ticket? Just curious.

4) The lack of a nationally mandated minimum for yellow-light duration. Blow through a fast yellow? Too bad, you maniac. Pay up.

5) Cars with red directionals. Oftentimes, the idiot-driver doesn't brush the snow from their directionals while driving...pump the brakes and watch the fun begin. Amazing how this country can mandate ABS and airbags but miss this obvious thing.

you sound like the only bad drivers are at wal-mart. try driving through a williamsville neighborhood or eagleheights in orchard park. our well to do neighbors own the road and will pull out in front off anyone including large trucks that could run over the fancy cars without harming the truck
    I found out many years ago that my blinker was on some day I will change to the other side for a while.wife wants me to turn it off but what fun would that be.
    I also learned that I can really piss people off by obeying the law.at or below the speed limit. if I change lanes to let you pass I"m guilty of aiding and abetting a crime so if you want to pass me that is your problem. the closer some one gets to my back bumper the loader my music gets and slower my car goes.
    if you see a yellow ducky on the antenna in front of you the car is probably on cruise control right at or below the speed limit. my speed control does not know you are following.
    for the safety of everyone in my car I slow down at all intersections. to go through a green light with out slowing down is nuts. I see people run red lights every time I drive I don't want to meet one of them going full speed.
    I come to a complete stop at stop signs.
    I leave home early enough to take my time when I drive. If your late don't get mad at me it only gives me more joy.
    I love it when other drivers realize I"m number one
    I must have many friends every time I drive some one beeps to say hello to me.
    people beep at me at traffic lights all the time and then get mad when I wait to find out what they want to say. figuire they must know me and want to say hello or something. but they just tell me I'm number one and drive off
    If I am driving at 55 and come on a slower I will let my cruise controll take as much time as it wants to pass the other car. I will not become a criminal just because some one else has no reguard for the law. they can wait until I have passed the slower car and then break the law I will not help them.
    Its fun being an old fart it realy pisses people off
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    I just drove through Missouri. They have their own technique: once you get in the left lane, stay there. Even if there's no other cars in sight.
    A lot of drivers from PA stop at yield signs controlling empty intersections.

My pet peeve occurs when parallel parking downtown. I'll slow down while approaching a parking space and use my right turn signal to indicate I'm about to park. Invariably I will stop at the point to start backing up for the parallel park but will be unable to proceed because the idiot driving behind me has stopped right at my rear bumper instead of going around me. The person is either clearly brain dead because I've more than adequately signaled my intention to park, or, they think they can get me to move ahead and steal the spot. HA! Only fools fall for that one.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information