Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the Elmwood Village Association thinking?

What is the Elmwood Village Association thinking?

Why in the world would the EVA draw attention to vacant store fronts on Elmwood Ave? On the front page of the News no less. Unbelievable. It is counter productive to all the marketing efforts that have had a positive effect on the area.

Do you want people driving or walking down Elmwood noticing the OPEN storefronts or call their attention to the vacant ones?

Is a property owner supposed to rent to everyone that comes along with a dollar and a dream or show due diligence and wait for someone with a viable business plan?

The single largest factor in a new business going under is under capitalization. Who gets stiffed when it goes under.....the landlord and vendors.

If you are in the business of marketing an area it must be 100% positive all the time. To quote Justin Azzarella, ED of EVA, "the message that sends to people is that, well, this commercial district isn't as strong as the hype." We Justin, that is the message YOU just sent to WNY. He should be lucky I'm not on his board or I'd be all for filling a vacancy in the ED position.

Wake Up EVA, nothing but positive issues coming from you....POSITIVE!!!!

Did EVA ask the News to write the article?

Anyway, it could also be viewed as free advertising. Maybe some businesses will consider opening a shop on Elmwood if they know there is space available.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCitizen View Post
    Why in the world would the EVA draw attention to vacant store fronts on Elmwood Ave? On the front page of the News no less. Unbelievable. It is counter productive to all the marketing efforts that have had a positive effect on the area.
    So....when the Buffalo News called them about the story, what do you think they should have said? Should they have just given a "no comment," and pretended that vacancies don't exist?

Anyway, Roger Chain is a man who with an ego comparable to Jim Ostrowski. I doubt his claim of owning 49 units is factual. Unless he's including apartments, as well.

Still, he shouldn't be a scapegoat here. Retail vacancies throughout the world are up. Elwmood is no different.

People don't want to be over charged for things anymore. Which some of the stores on elmwood are a rip off.

That is pretty stupid for marketing to show vacant buildings.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    That is pretty stupid for marketing to show vacant buildings.
    keeping vacant buildings a secret isn't going to get them leased either.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Did EVA ask the News to write the article?

Anyway, it could also be viewed as free advertising. Maybe some businesses will consider opening a shop on Elmwood if they know there is space available.
    Why would anyone want free NEGATIVE advertising. You market an area with POSITIVE attributes not negative. You market by putting a positive spin on things. For example:

The Elmwood Village is alive and vibrant with an surrounding neighborhood with income levels to support new businesses. There are opportunities to open a new business if people are interested.

The EVA mishandled this situation

It was a News article, not a marketing brochure.
    Why are you assuming EVA had anything to do with it?

The EVA mishandled this situation
    So, how should they have handled it? The News calls them, and, asks them to comment on vacancies - what do you think they should have said?

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    So, how should they have handled it? The News calls them, and, asks them to comment on vacancies - what do you think they should have said?
    The Elmwood Village is alive and vibrant with a surrounding neighborhood with income levels to support new businesses. There are opportunities to open a new business if people are interested. Elmwood Ave. is a destination for shoppers and those looking for a fine dining experience. While we may have a few vacancies on the street we are no different than any of the suburban shopping plazas.

If anyone has ever had a conversation with any of the marketing people from Benderson they will tell you they only focus on the positive aspects of the area.

Would you buy a car from a salesman that told you why you should not buy it? Its the same as marketing a business district....Positive...Positive...Positive.

If you want to fill the vacancies do an inventory of what the spaces have to offer (some of Chain's offer a fully equipped kitchen), how much the rent's are and even work with the banks, the City & BERC for a loan package for prospective businesses. If they can invest in One Sunset they certainly can invest in Elmwood Ave.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If they can invest in One Sunset they certainly can invest in Elmwood Ave.
    You invest with people who follow the rules and actually know what they are doing. You do not do what they did handling One Sunset.

I don't think JoeCitizen understands what a newspaper is...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    You invest with people who follow the rules and actually know what they are doing. You do not do what they did handling One Sunset.
    I wasn't suggesting to do another One Sunset but if they have money for those type of endeavors then they should have the funds to invest in a viable business district like Elmwood.

The Elmwood Village is alive and vibrant with a surrounding neighborhood with income levels to support new businesses. There are opportunities to open a new business if people are interested. Elmwood Ave. is a destination for shoppers and those looking for a fine dining experience. While we may have a few vacancies on the street we are no different than any of the suburban shopping plazas.

If anyone has ever had a conversation with any of the marketing people from Benderson they will tell you they only focus on the positive aspects of the area.

Would you buy a car from a salesman that told you why you should not buy it? Its the same as marketing a business district....Positive...Positive...Positive.

If you want to fill the vacancies do an inventory of what the spaces have to offer (some of Chain's offer a fully equipped kitchen), how much the rent's are and even work with the banks, the City & BERC for a loan package for prospective businesses. If they can invest in One Sunset they certainly can invest in Elmwood Ave.
    The fact that you are able to type four paragraphs, all the while ignoring my question, makes me think that you are an elected official.

Regardless of whether or not that's true, you've proven that your inability to follow the conversation makes you not worth talking to.

The article in the paper was very interesting.

the biggest take home message for me was that rent is one of the largest expenditures for a small business in that area, and that profit margin may be very low depending on the good or service provided,,

mainly,, not very many people are willing or able to start a business in Buffalo in this economy.

It would be nice if Roger would be a little flexible in pricing his rental property.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    I don't think JoeCitizen understands what a newspaper is...
    I understand that that a lot of times a reporter has the story written before they make the phone calls to have some fill in quotes.

I also understand that some people like to cooperate just to see their name or picture in the paper to make them feel important.

I also understand that this can be counter productive to the your own goals.

The latter being my point.

You counter the negative article with the opening of Captain Jack's, the Farmer's Market, the concerts in the Parkway, the Arts Festival.......

I understand that you don't have to fall into the trap the reporter is setting. Too bad the EVA didn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information