Thread: Grand Island BOE facebook?

Question Grand Island BOE facebook?

What happened to the grand island board of education facebook page? In the dispatch it says the board decided to stop the use of it. They said if people wanted they can use the school internet site. This is outrageous. The previous board member Emily C started facebook for the BOE and thought it was great for parents and islanders to see school issues and post their comments. The school internet site has no place for islanders to see each others concerns or comments. I see the problem was the school facebook page had some criticisms of the new superintendent T Lawrence and she did not like this. 2nd amendment advocates residents voiced their differences and others did some criticism of her on facebook. So she eliminated this facebook forum. She eliminated a form of freedom of speech. This is such a joke for a school system.This new super is turning into a dictator. I thought the new school board would protect residents but it seems they are going to be another rubber stamp. They should restart their facebook page.

She's a doctor. She knows what's best for everyone
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    What happened to the grand island board of education facebook page? In the dispatch it says the board decided to stop the use of it. They said if people wanted they can use the school internet site. This is outrageous. The previous board member Emily C started facebook for the BOE and thought it was great for parents and islanders to see school issues and post their comments. The school internet site has no place for islanders to see each others concerns or comments. I see the problem was the school facebook page had some criticisms of the new superintendent T Lawrence and she did not like this. 2nd amendment advocates residents voiced their differences and others did some criticism of her on facebook. So she eliminated this facebook forum. She eliminated a form of freedom of speech. This is such a joke for a school system.This new super is turning into a dictator. I thought the new school board would protect residents but it seems they are going to be another rubber stamp. They should restart their facebook page.
    You are kidding right? Facebook is a right of the people now? You want to criticize the BOE, start your own FB page.

Sheesh

b.b.

Not saying a right per say.but the BOE started the facebook page to get residents to vote for the 52 million school bond.They said facebook is the modern way to communicate. They said it not me. Now that the bond passed due to a bunch of lies they get rid of facebook for some residents criticized the system. So no I am not kidding, the people of grand island were used by the BOE and their superintendent. If it was a good way to communicate then why not now. Because they can't take a little criticism? Such a bunch of soccer moms not getting their way. Modern day school boards are a bad joke.

I agree with Twain. If it was ok for the school district to use the facebook to pass their agenda then it should not be discontinued due to a few criticisms. Seems school boards are getting more and more out of touch with the community till they need a budget passed.

Has anyone on the Island noticed some important people leaving the school district. First it was Emily Ciracola who decided not to run again for the BOE, now this week it is Joe Girazzo asst super just quit . I can't help but wonder if the new superintendent teresa lawrence is the reason. She seems to be very thin skinned. She is responsible for closing the facebook page for too many people were beginning to criticize her. The capital project is way behind schedule. Joe Girazzo was the man keeping the project going even though way behind schedule. The quality of academics is nosediving under teresa lawrence as we recently seen with the results of the standard tests. Grand Island was way down on the list. Be alert residents of the Island for when schools start failing so does property values. I have no proof she was the reason 2 big names just quit, but she is in charge and the buck stops with her.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What type of issues were coming up on the Facebook page?

I can easily see quite a bit of mistruths popping up on a Facebook page just because the way items get distorted.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What type of issues were coming up on the Facebook page?

I can easily see quite a bit of mistruths popping up on a Facebook page just because the way items get distorted.
    Before it was removed I seen things like, someone said at a joint school board meeting a few months ago there were many 2nd amend residents there to voice their opinion on that issue. The super lawrence said no one allowed to speak for it was a joint meeting only. When the 2nd amend people left ms lawrence did indeed let a girl speak on forming a gay club at the high school. then another issue was critical of the new capital project and seemed to criticize ms lawrence. She never answered any of these criticisms.Another criticism was how come the standard scores were falling on the Island. There were more but cannot remember. So she convinced the BOE to just eliminate the facebook page. This page was the only means for residents to communicate with each others.other than go to board meetings , then u could be told nope no speakers tonite. I could be totally wrong but just seems weird that she eliminated it right after a few criticisms. I thought the new BOE would not be a rubber stamp for the admin but I think they are now.

Thread Information