Thread: Amherst Officials Want To Make Their Community "A Text Free Driving Zone"

Amherst Officials Want To Make Their Community "A Text Free Driving Zone"

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/53517762.html

WKBW - TV Buffalo, New York

Originally printed at http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/53517762.html

(Amherst, NY ) Amherst officials stated that texting is banned in the Town Of Amherst, to provide safe roads for residents and the people that use roads throughout the town. The 5-1 vote taken Monday night at Amherst Town Hall.
    Guy Marlette is one of the five councilmembers who voted for the ban. He says it will make the roads safer, stating, "...our hope is that while it's very tough to enforce, its not a primary function for the police department. It will make people aware that texting while driving is unsafe."
    Under the new law, police would be able to pull over drivers caught texting behind the wheel. Drivers could face a fine of up to $150.
    Councilmember Daniel Ward, who voted against the ban, thinks it is a waste of police officer's time and should be left to the state to regulate.
    "I think this is needless meddling with state law by local officials who have enough to do in terms of what we have with local government. I won't support it," said Ward.
    There have been deadly crashes linked to texting behind the wheel. Five teenage girls killed outside Rochester two years ago, the accident blamed on texting. There was also a bizarre crash last month in Lockport, where police say a tow truck driver was allegedly texting, while also on a cell phone, when it crash landed in a pool.

Thumbs up

IMHO Dan Ward is totally wrong. Why wait for the state to pass a law? Texting while driving is killing people now.

Quote Originally Posted by shipdadip View Post
    http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/53517762.html

WKBW - TV Buffalo, New York

Originally printed at http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/53517762.html

(Amherst, NY ) Amherst officials stated that texting is banned in the Town Of Amherst, to provide safe roads for residents and the people that use roads throughout the town. The 5-1 vote taken Monday night at Amherst Town Hall.
    Guy Marlette is one of the five councilmembers who voted for the ban. He says it will make the roads safer, stating, "...our hope is that while it's very tough to enforce, its not a primary function for the police department. It will make people aware that texting while driving is unsafe."
    Under the new law, police would be able to pull over drivers caught texting behind the wheel. Drivers could face a fine of up to $150.
    Councilmember Daniel Ward, who voted against the ban, thinks it is a waste of police officer's time and should be left to the state to regulate.
    "I think this is needless meddling with state law by local officials who have enough to do in terms of what we have with local government. I won't support it," said Ward.
    There have been deadly crashes linked to texting behind the wheel. Five teenage girls killed outside Rochester two years ago, the accident blamed on texting. There was also a bizarre crash last month in Lockport, where police say a tow truck driver was allegedly texting, while also on a cell phone, when it crash landed in a pool.
    Texting should be banned in all towns. How many people have to die before laws are put in place?

Unregistered
    Texting while driving is already against the law. So is drinking and driving. But people still do it..... The Town board should keep to worrying about what video games are at Chucky Cheese.....

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthdetector View Post
    Texting while driving is already against the law....
    I believe the law doesn't go into effect until November.

Unregistered
    ...our hope is that while it's very tough to enforce, its not a primary function for the police department.
    Didn't they say something similar about the seat belt law?

Quote Originally Posted by shipdadip View Post
    IMHO Dan Ward is totally wrong. Why wait for the state to pass a law? Texting while driving is killing people now.
    Really? you think a law will stop people? Look how many people still talk on their cell phones!

Hell look how many people still drive without a SEATBELT!!

Requiring you to have a gun permit was ment to keep guns out of criminals hands, look how well that's doing in buffalo!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    I believe the law doesn't go into effect until November.
    Surfin' is right. November 1st.

Also, the State law will state that "Any state text-messaging ban would overrule city and country bans, which have spread throughout the state due to inaction in Albany."

Guess the Amherst Town Board likes to make a publicity stunt out of anything popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Really? you think a law will stop people? Look how many people still talk on their cell phones!

Hell look how many people still drive without a SEATBELT!!

Requiring you to have a gun permit was ment to keep guns out of criminals hands, look how well that's doing in buffalo!
    Yes I am for people not texting while they are driving. No I don't think a law will stop a lot of idiots. Seat belt laws are a violation of a persons right to be secure in their person. Gun permits are unconstitutional imho.

Really? you think a law will stop people?
    The sad part is I don't

Unregistered
    What I'd like to know is, how is law enforcement going to be able to prove the person was "texting while driving"?

Will they have the "right" to view your text messages and/or subpoena your cell phone records? Will it be up to you to prove the officer wrong by furnishing your cell phone records? What if you were texting five minutes prior to driving and the officer's watch is five minutes slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    What I'd like to know is, how is law enforcement going to be able to prove the person was "texting while driving"?

Will they have the "right" to view your text messages and/or subpoena your cell phone records? Will it be up to you to prove the officer wrong by furnishing your cell phone records? What if you were texting five minutes prior to driving and the officer's watch is five minutes slow?
    Also, will they make a difference between say txt and reading an e-mail? Or browsing the web? or say posting on speakupwny.com with my crackberry?
    What if i was just checking my txt and not responding?

What's next, no radios? no cd players? no dvd players?
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Unregistered
    Also, will they make a difference between say txt and reading an e-mail? Or browsing the web? or say posting on speakupwny.com with my crackberry?
    What if i was just checking my txt and not responding?

What's next, no radios? no cd players? no dvd players?
    No food, no smoking.......

Thread Information