Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collins Lancaster Airport grant disturbs Safe Aviation Coalition of Lancaster

Collins Lancaster Airport grant disturbs Safe Aviation Coalition of Lancaster

Congressman Chris Collins (NY-27) recently announced $675,699 in federal funding from the Federal Aviation Administration for three local airports. Akron Airport received $222,402 for runway repairs. Buffalo-Lancaster Regional Airport received $150,726 for removal of existing on-airport obstructions to a runway. And Le Roy Airport received $302,571 to upgrade its lighting and beacon systems.

“Supporting local governments by maintaining, repairing and building critical infrastructure is a beneficial use of federal tax dollars,” Congressman Collins said. “Providing these local airports the necessary funding for a variety of improvements will allow for more efficient and safer airport operations. Continued investment in local infrastructure is necessary to ensure that valuable economic assets like local airports can continue to grow and successfully operate.”

The Safe Aviation Coalition of Lancaster (SACL) disagrees with Collins’s claim that the Buffalo-Lancaster Regional Airport is deserving of $150,726 to remove existing on-airport obstructions to a runway; the present runway. SACL co-founder Kevin Lemaster submitted the following response to Congressman Collins.

Dear Congressman Collins:

I am deeply concerned and disappointed by your press release regarding grant money released for the Buffalo Lancaster Airport. For years, the FAA has been handing out taxpayer funding to privately owned airports without regard to municipality zoning laws.

The latest grant money totaling $150,000 covers demolition of a residence that is NOT located on airport property. The airport claims that the house needs to be removed for part of the runway protection zone. In reality, BQR is an ARC B1 airport. Removal of this home is required for their expansion plans to become an ARC B2 facility. Buffalo Lancaster Airport Inc. became a regional airport and reliever for Buffalo International Airport in 1991. The Lancaster town code prior to this date to the present, states “non-conforming use”.

The FAA gave this airport access to funds they were never entitled to. Lancaster residents have been fighting against FAA funding and expansion for approximately 6 years. BQR has never met the criteria required to become a regional or reliever airport. Please see the FAA report dated March 2014, “ASSET 2: In-depth Review of the 497 Unclassified Airports”.

At this time, I request that your office direct the GAO (Government Accountability Office) to investigate all applications for this airport. Based on documentation, it is our opinion that The Buffalo Lancaster Airport and Passero Associates used a blueprint requesting funding that was not within the proper guidelines. On one of the grant applications, BQR requested sponsor fees of $5000.00. On the same application, they requested another $60,000.00 plus for legal fees to cover a zoning challenge.

Buffalo Lancaster Airport Inc. is a “private” airport that has already received more than $14 million dollars in grant funds. This airport has created zero job opportunities, has received state funding, county, town and school tax breaks. I have complete documentation that the owners of BQR do not have any of their own monies invested.

The FAA was made aware years ago that “Gees Five Inc.” and the Buffalo Lancaster Airport Inc. are the same owners. Land transactions that should have never been funded were made between these two entities and as a result, the owners personally walked away with grant money from above transactions.

I appreciate your timely attention to this matter. Please keep in mind that this airport is only one of the many 497 that have yet to be classified.

In closing, I have documentation as mentioned to back up my claims. I would be happy to share documents with your office upon request.

Kevin Lemaster

This is from Chris Collins's Congressional web page:

Tom Geles, President of the Buffalo-Lancaster Regional Airport, made the following comment about the grant, “The safety project will permit removal of existing on-airport obstructions to the approaches of Runway 8-26 at Buffalo-Lancaster Airport. Removing the obstructions will also enable future implementation of safer instrument approach procedures for all users at the public use airport.”

One has to ask,

• What obstructions need removing that will cost $150,000; the home on Pavement Road, a shed and what else Mr. Geles?

• If the airport is not safe in its current operating condition Mr. Geles, just fine for single and twin engine aircraft, why is it still operating and why was this change not made with the $14 million the Buffalo-Lancaster Airport (BLA) has already received in federal and state grants?

• What does removing these ‘obstructions’ have to do with ‘enabling future implementation of safer instrument approach procedures for all users at the public use airport’ unless this is another backdoor approach to further expand the airport to allow for use of larger aircraft and jets and a ‘safer instrument approach’?.

The Safe Aviation Coalition of Lancaster (SACL) has every right to show concern regarding the purpose of this grant and to ask for an open investigation by the GAO – especially before a demolition permit is requested by BLA and granted by the Town of Lancaster Building Department. In fact, before a permit of any sort is granted the matter should go before the Town of Lancaster Zoning Board of Appeals to determine eligibility.

This looks like another veiled attempt by Lancaster Airport Inc. to circumvent the language of the town code and to proceed with its expansion plans.

Town code:

On April 2, 2014, by a 6-1 vote the Town of Lancaster Planning Board (PB) denied recommending code text change to the Lancaster Town Board (TB); as requested by said TB.

The PB was charged with ‘clarifying’ use in a Light Industrial District and in making a determination whether the current code language in Section 50-24(B) (1) (f) of the Town of Lancaster Town Code instated in 1997 and reads: “Any commercial recreation activity [Special Use Permit Required], should be amended to read “Any commercial recreation activity including, but not limited to, private commercial airports (Special Use Permit required).

This text change would make the Buffalo- Lancaster Airport (BLA), a conforming use where it is now a nonconforming use and open the airport operation to further expansion.

While Republican Supervisor Dino Fudoli has openly expressed his disfavor with the airport expansion, the four Democratic council members have yet to the take action on the planning board recommendation and/or express opinion on the Planning Board recommendation to deny code language change.

From public hearings held on the matter and written correspondences submitted to the town and planning boards, Lancaster resident public opinion is overwhelmingly not in favor of further BLA expansion, but allowing the private/public airport to exist and operate as it currently does – despite its non-conformance status and having already expanded multiple times over its legal code limit.

Good letter and good points. Either someone's lining their pockets or the politicians are too stupid to realize what they are doing when they hand out our money. I wonder if a thought of absurdity even crossed Collins mind when he handed over 150k to demo a house?
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

"One has to ask,

• What obstructions need removing that will cost $150,000; the home on Pavement Road, a shed and what else Mr. Geles?

• If the airport is not safe in its current operating condition Mr. Geles, just fine for single and twin engine aircraft, why is it still operating and why was this change not made with the $14 million the Buffalo-Lancaster Airport (BLA) has already received in federal and state grants?

• What does removing these ‘obstructions’ have to do with ‘enabling future implementation of safer instrument approach procedures for all users at the public use airport’ unless this is another backdoor approach to further expand the airport to allow for use of larger aircraft and jets and a ‘safer instrument approach’?.

The Safe Aviation Coalition of Lancaster (SACL) has every right to show concern regarding the purpose of this grant and to ask for an open investigation by the GAO – especially before a demolition permit is requested by BLA and granted by the Town of Lancaster Building Department. In fact, before a permit of any sort is granted the matter should go before the Town of Lancaster Zoning Board of Appeals to determine eligibility.

This looks like another veiled attempt by Lancaster Airport Inc. to circumvent the language of the town code and to proceed with its expansion plans."

Once again, Mr. Geles is tipping his hand. As this airport now stands, this is a visual approach airport only. They do not have the equipment for instrument landings. Their intent is clear. They have every intention of upgrading to allow for larger aircraft (jets) EX: ARC B1 to ARC B2.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
    Once again, Mr. Geles is tipping his hand. As this airport now stands, this is a visual approach airport only. They do not have the equipment for instrument landings. Their intent is clear. They have every intention of upgrading to allow for larger aircraft (jets) EX: ARC B1 to ARC B2.
    Yea a business is Western NY wants to expand. The NIMBY folks boo as the overall area cheers!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

$150,000.00 for what? Demolition of a home NOT located on actual aviation property? Since this home is located on private property, why is the taxpayer footing the bill at all? The airport and/or Gees Five Inc. (same owners) should pay for demolition or put the house back on the tax rolls. A friend of mine just paid to take down a home on Lake Ontario and paid $15,000. Whose palms are getting greased this time around?

Do they have to specify in detail the use of the grant money on their application for the grant?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Yea a business is Western NY wants to expand. The NIMBY folks boo as the overall area cheers!
    They have already expanded beyond what they are legally able to expand per town law not NIMBY law.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    That’s it Frank, that’s all ya got?

This coming from an individual who accuses other of wanting bigger government and rails against government intrusion now favors a business expansion that gets 95% of the cost funded ($14 million of taxpayer money so far) from federal and state grants and pays only 5% out of pocket for the expansion costs (if that, when examining some of the land swapping transactions). The same operation that had its property assessment reduced from near $4 million to $1.8 million (on 141 acres of property) and pays around $50,000 in total property taxes. This is the business enterprise you are cheering for?

And just forget about the support the town had been giving the airport through the years – especially with permit issuances – when if fact by their own town code the airport became a non conforming use and no longer entitled to expand beyond 25%. Never mind the legal stuff, right Frank?

Lastly, your reference to only NIMBYS being opposed to an airport expansion that would bring in aircraft with 79 foot wide wing spans and micro jets is both ludicrous and laughable at the same time. The town is already overburdened with traffic on the ground so let’s fill up the sky as well. But of course they will not be flying over your house, right Frank. In fact Frank, if I remember correctly, you don’t live in Lancaster – so screw all the town residents who would be impacted by the expansion.

In fact, the town could shut that airport down today if they wanted for legal reasons. But neither they nor SACL want to see the current operation cease to exist. It is Mr. Geles who continues to push the envelope and in doing so jeopardizes the current operation

Excellent letter

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Congressman Chris Collins (NY-27) recently announced $675,699 in federal funding from the Federal Aviation Administration for three local airports. Akron Airport received $222,402 for runway repairs. Buffalo-Lancaster Regional Airport received $150,726 for removal of existing on-airport obstructions to a runway. And Le Roy Airport received $302,571 to upgrade its lighting and beacon systems.

“Supporting local governments by maintaining, repairing and building critical infrastructure is a beneficial use of federal tax dollars,” Congressman Collins said. “Providing these local airports the necessary funding for a variety of improvements will allow for more efficient and safer airport operations. Continued investment in local infrastructure is necessary to ensure that valuable economic assets like local airports can continue to grow and successfully operate.”

The Safe Aviation Coalition of Lancaster (SACL) disagrees with Collins’s claim that the Buffalo-Lancaster Regional Airport is deserving of $150,726 to remove existing on-airport obstructions to a runway; the present runway. SACL co-founder Kevin Lemaster submitted the following response to Congressman Collins.

Dear Congressman Collins:

I am deeply concerned and disappointed by your press release regarding grant money released for the Buffalo Lancaster Airport. For years, the FAA has been handing out taxpayer funding to privately owned airports without regard to municipality zoning laws.

The latest grant money totaling $150,000 covers demolition of a residence that is NOT located on airport property. The airport claims that the house needs to be removed for part of the runway protection zone. In reality, BQR is an ARC B1 airport. Removal of this home is required for their expansion plans to become an ARC B2 facility. Buffalo Lancaster Airport Inc. became a regional airport and reliever for Buffalo International Airport in 1991. The Lancaster town code prior to this date to the present, states “non-conforming use”.

The FAA gave this airport access to funds they were never entitled to. Lancaster residents have been fighting against FAA funding and expansion for approximately 6 years. BQR has never met the criteria required to become a regional or reliever airport. Please see the FAA report dated March 2014, “ASSET 2: In-depth Review of the 497 Unclassified Airports”.

At this time, I request that your office direct the GAO (Government Accountability Office) to investigate all applications for this airport. Based on documentation, it is our opinion that The Buffalo Lancaster Airport and Passero Associates used a blueprint requesting funding that was not within the proper guidelines. On one of the grant applications, BQR requested sponsor fees of $5000.00. On the same application, they requested another $60,000.00 plus for legal fees to cover a zoning challenge.

Buffalo Lancaster Airport Inc. is a “private” airport that has already received more than $14 million dollars in grant funds. This airport has created zero job opportunities, has received state funding, county, town and school tax breaks. I have complete documentation that the owners of BQR do not have any of their own monies invested.

The FAA was made aware years ago that “Gees Five Inc.” and the Buffalo Lancaster Airport Inc. are the same owners. Land transactions that should have never been funded were made between these two entities and as a result, the owners personally walked away with grant money from above transactions.

I appreciate your timely attention to this matter. Please keep in mind that this airport is only one of the many 497 that have yet to be classified.

In closing, I have documentation as mentioned to back up my claims. I would be happy to share documents with your office upon request.

Kevin Lemaster

This letter from Kevin Lemaster is *spot on.* More letters need to be sent to our Congressmen Chris Collins to stop the wasteful spending in these fiscally challenging times.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    They have already expanded beyond what they are legally able to expand per town law not NIMBY law.
    Perfect gorja---LOL

I thought the time had expired on the BLA's IDA exemptions but apparently, I'm wrong. 3 of their 4 properties show $0.00 for their school tax bills. When do their exemptions expire?

Georgia L Schlager

Just stirring up the nest Lee...... Lancaster country is no longer - it is Lancaster city expansion, get used to it, it ain't stopping.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

The FAA should stop throwing taxpayer money at unworthy recipient airports! Wouldn't it have been better to put the $14 million taxpayer dollars that were dumped into the Lancaster airport into the Genesee Country airport instead? That Genesee County (aka Batavia) airport is about halfway between Buffalo and Rochester, and hence can serve both areas. The Genesee County airport is also far from significant residential areas and low flying commercial aircraft (i.e. safer for hobby pilots, training pilots, and others) and additional expansions would be welcomed there. You have to wonder who makes these bad funding decisions at the FAA....

gorja: Don't quote me but I believe School IDA's end in 2018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information