Thread: Wendt grant will help MLK pool project

Wendt grant will help MLK pool project

The Margaret L. Wendt Foundation has agreed to provide a major source of funding for the ongoing restoration project at Martin Luther King Park in Buffalo.

The Wendt Foundation will provide $500,000 for the second phase of the overall project that will cost $2.9 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...l?surround=lfn
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

so then, I guess the first phase took care of the computer operated lighting & sprinkler system and repairs to the wading pool, which I remember the News reported wasn't working properly (the computer)...I wonder what the second phase will do...the journal doesn't disclose much info...

Gawd save us from this stupid wading pool! It is an idea from 1915, and is a DEAD IDEA!! Jackhammer the whole pavement away, plant a nice big bunch of trees and grasses and flowering shrubs, and be done with it.

Its history: it was designed to keep teamsters from bringing their wagons across Humboldt Park as a shortcut, because Fillmore ended at each side of the park. Greenery and maybe a skateboard course would be much more appropriate, today .

Quote Originally Posted by Edisonic
    Gawd save us from this stupid wading pool! It is an idea from 1915, and is a DEAD IDEA!! Jackhammer the whole pavement away, plant a nice big bunch of trees and grasses and flowering shrubs, and be done with it.

Its history: it was designed to keep teamsters from bringing their wagons across Humboldt Park as a shortcut, because Fillmore ended at each side of the park. Greenery and maybe a skateboard course would be much more appropriate, today .
    If I remember correctly, Olmsted designed that park for military processions and concerts. He didn't care much for the loud, rowdy German immigrants whom he tried to discourage from using the park. He was somewhat of an elitist prick who had a distaste for riff-raff. Needless to say, those rambunctious Germans ended up using the park as their neighborhood beer garden.

True, although I wouldn't go so far as to say "elitist prick" ... He just wanted his parks to be perfect, which made it difficult for people to actually USE them. hehe. He did complain (in letters, available at the Buff State library) that the people of Buffalo were the most difficult he'd worked with ... I wonder how he'd deal with our current population.

Anyway, that wading pool is too immense and a nightmare to maintain. The hordes of immigrant kiddies who might flock to it are long gone.

Another 1915 mistake, which should be undone: turning The Meadow of Delaware Park into a (crummy) golf course.

Quote Originally Posted by Edisonic

Another 1915 mistake, which should be undone: turning The Meadow of Delaware Park into a (crummy) golf course.
    It's ugly, but gives that section of the park a purpose, along with the baseball diamonds and running/bike/rollerblade track around the perimiter.

The "looks pretty" part is the area around the lake.

I think the urban renewal era things that happened to the parks would really make Olmsted roll in his grave. Like cutting an expressway though Delware park, turning Humbolt Parkway into a sunken speedway, destroying half of Front Park, ect.

I agree with getting rid of the golf course. The size of that park is huge, yet much of it is off-limits to the majority of people that don't golf.

Is the course a 9-hole or 18-hole? If it's 18, maybe they could keep half and open up the rest? Just a thought.

Yes, it is 18 holes .. and I've seen a plan to make it a much better 9 hole course, which would allow returning some of the land to public (nongolfers) use.

By the way, at one time, BOTH sides of the park were "pretty"! The Meadow area once had ponds, lots of shrubbery ... and sheep nibbling on the grass instead of lawnmowers.

skateboard park

Hey! That is a great idea, It will bring people to the park as I do not believe there is 1 in Buffalo that you dont have to pay an admission fee, i also like the ponds and greenspace idea
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michele J
    Hey! That is a great idea, It will bring people to the park as I do not believe there is 1 in Buffalo that you dont have to pay an admission fee, i also like the ponds and greenspace idea
    I think we're onto something here.

There is already the science museum right next door which is already a regional draw.

With a no-admission skatepark, one thing i'm worried about is the legal liabilities in the event of injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    I think we're onto something here.

There is already the science museum right next door which is already a regional draw.

With a no-admission skatepark, one thing i'm worried about is the legal liabilities in the event of injuries.
    Just about every city here has a skateboard park, and this is the land of attorneys!

Thread Information