Thread: For anyone who doubts NYC doesn't live off of Upstate

For anyone who doubts NYC doesn't live off of Upstate

Case count is the number of eligible households.
    NYC figure is 275,584 cases, $99,773,200.
    Upstate figure is 157,585 cases, $60,155,600
    Total children for NYC = 498,866.
    Total children for Upstate = 314,979.
    Total children eligible = 813,845.

These ae the figures for people who are on assistance and are receving the $200 credit.

Upstate has about 9 Million people while NYC and LI have around 8 MIllion people but is receiving about 63% of the funds for this program. Talk about screwing us even more!

Now i wonder how many of these 800K kids are illegals?
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

1) your own copy/pasted stats show that NYC has 61.3% of the children and are getting 63.6% of the money

2) Defining NYC/LI as Bronx, New York, Richmond, Kings, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk counties (see http://www.censusfinder.com/mapny.htm) and using the census's 2008 estimates by county (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/36001.html) shows that NYC has 11.2 million people, and 'upstate' has 8.3M, which gives NYC 57% of the people.

3) Using the same websites as above shows that when you define a child as anyone between 5 and 18 years old, NYC has 57% of the children.

4) So I accept that your number of 'eligible' households and children is correct as per the stipulations of the actual bill - definitions are obviously different, but there's no way to slice this that shows NYC/LI are getting an unfair share of the $ if you use published numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by dave338 View Post
    1) your own copy/pasted stats show that NYC has 61.3% of the children and are getting 63.6% of the money

2) Defining NYC/LI as Bronx, New York, Richmond, Kings, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk counties (see http://www.censusfinder.com/mapny.htm) and using the census's 2008 estimates by county (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/36001.html) shows that NYC has 11.2 million people, and 'upstate' has 8.3M, which gives NYC 57% of the people.

3) Using the same websites as above shows that when you define a child as anyone between 5 and 18 years old, NYC has 57% of the children.

4) So I accept that your number of 'eligible' households and children is correct as per the stipulations of the actual bill - definitions are obviously different, but there's no way to slice this that shows NYC/LI are getting an unfair share of the $ if you use published numbers.
    The numbers are right form the Governors web site, it's for people who are getting the $200, so as you see NYC is getting a larger proportion that upstate. My point was to show those who think Upstate has a larger portion of the welfare pie, they are wrong.

And my point was that their share was almost exactly consistent with the amount of people they have, because your numbers about the population of NYC/LI were entirely incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by dave338 View Post
    And my point was that their share was almost exactly consistent with the amount of people they have, because your numbers about the population of NYC/LI were entirely incorrect.

63% and 57% aren't the same numbers! That's 10.8 MILLION dollars extra!

Your number was 47%. Because I have no idea what counties the gov's website was including I used my best guess. If you add in Rockland and Westchester county ( I don't know enough about NYC geography to know whether they're 'downstate' or not) the number jumps from 57% to 64%.

I know 63% and 57% aren't the same number. At least my 57% is a real number - unlike the ones you posted (8 NYC/LI, 9 upstate) in the first post.

Well, according to this site:

http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...ncome+families

The upstate numbers include Rockland, Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk counties (so NYC doesn't include LI).

That gives NYC 8 million people, and the rest of the state 11.1M. So my argument is shot to hell! Haven't been that wrong in a while...

41% of the people, 63% of the $200 cash recipients - I'll agree that it's ridiculous. I had no idea the spread was so large.

to get accurate figures, don't you need to know how many children per HOUSEHOLD, not just how many households?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    to get accurate figures, don't you need to know how many children per HOUSEHOLD, not just how many households?
    Patterson mis labled it, it's not "households" it's childern that qualify.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I read yesterday the credit is applied to children between the ages of 3-17.

Can someone explain to me what school supplies a 3-4 year old needs? Or how a 5-7 year old needs to spend the same amount as a kid in High School?

Or why they would just give this money to the parents? After all, I think it is safe to say those on welfare are not the best with managing money.

leftWNY - I had the same question, but I think it might be for new clothes/shoes, etc., not just school supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Patterson mis labled it, it's not "households" it's childern that qualify.
    Yes, it is children that qualify, but the figures were for how many households received the benefits, not how many children. Let's look at this entry:
    YATES .... 441 .... $178,200
    if that were children instead of household, the total would be 88,200, not 178,200.

There is an election coming up folks. It is all a payoff. We should be used to this by now.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Thread Information