Thread: new data shows school taxes up -- pupils down...

new data shows school taxes up -- pupils down...

The New York State Property Tax report cards -- which tell you how much school districts want to spend, tax and what their enrollment is -- are out now.

Find out how much districts want to increase spending and taxes for the coming year, and whether districts are growing or not.

A quick glance shows Holland, Cheektowaga-Sloan and Grand Island (sorry ragin) have the largest tax increases -- but, surprise, hardly any growth.

You can see the stuff at:

http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/mgtserv/20...condpage.shtml

Unregistered
    I believe the proposed school tax increase for Grand Island stands at 6.8%.
    Last year they proposed an 8% increase. That budget was defeated by the voters (the only school budget defeat in Erie County, I believe). I suspect the same outcome this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    Last year they proposed an 8% increase. That budget was defeated by the voters (the only school budget defeat in Erie County, I believe). I suspect the same outcome this year.
    Check the numbers at the site I gave you. Grand Island's proposed tax levy is closer to 10 percent.....

Unregistered
    10% was the first proposal .. the GI School Board wish list. It was originally proposed to replace the cuts that the school district was forced to make when the budget was defeated last year. When that proposal didn't appear it would pass, they came up with a second one.

I got this info from the GI School Board website:

"The Grand Island Board of Education at its regular meeting on April 10 formally adopted the 2006-07 Proposed District Budget. The budget plan totals $45,601,005 and represents a spending increase over 2005-06 of $2,836,710 or 6.63% percent. The 2006-07 budget maintains the current program and adds three teaching positions to address class size and core courses offerings."
    Of course, if this one doesn't pass .. there's always the contingency budget, or should I say "The Doomsday Scenario"

"Should the district move to a contingent budget, an additional $1,230,138 will have to be removed from the school budget. This reduction would impact staff, programs and other services that are non-mandated by New York State. Items that are at risk are teaching positions not needed to meet contractual class size requirements, non-mandated programs such as, High School Home and Careers, Instrumental Music, Vocal Music, Elementary Art and Music and Kindergarten. Support staff positions such as: cafeteria monitors, library clerks, hall monitors, clerical, a maintenance mechanic, and a nurse could be cut. All after school bus runs, all sports, all clubs and after school activities are at risk of not being funded. Summer School would not be offered. In addition, the District would be required to charge for any building usage outside of the normal school day."

10% was the first proposal .. the GI School Board wish list. It was originally proposed to replace the cuts that the school district was forced to make when the budget was defeated last year. When that proposal didn't appear it would pass, they came up with a second one.

I got this info from the GI School Board website:

Of course, if this one doesn't pass .. there's always the contingency budget, or should I say "The Doomsday Scenario"
    I should have been clearer. The almost 10 percent increase I was talking about is in the tax levy -- not in total spending. The 6 percent increase you're citing is the increase in spending, not taxes.

The numbers at the web site should be correct. They are submitted by school districts after they have voted on a proposed budget.

Here are the increases in spending and taxes and increases/decreases in enrollment for the upcoming school year, as proposed by the districts. It's only Erie County right now that I have here....

Don't know if I did this right, but what I'm trying to do is attach a pdf file.....if it didn't work, sorry. I'll keep trying!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    I should have been clearer. The almost 10 percent increase I was talking about is in the tax levy -- not in total spending. The 6 percent increase you're citing is the increase in spending, not taxes.

The numbers at the web site should be correct. They are submitted by school districts after they have voted on a proposed budget.
    I stand corrected, TTF

Any good news to offer tonight? I'm all ears

Lancaster voted theirs down too but they still went up something like 7.8%

Of course, with the reassessment, it went up much more for a lot of people.

Despite Lancaster's school board insisting on a new building, enrollment this year went up from 6323 to a whopping 6380, while the budget increased $1,341,387.
    Last edited by colossus27; April 27th, 2006 at 10:58 AM.

What amazes me is that half of the 27 districts (not including Buffalo) lost students, including all these places that are supposedly growing, like Lancaster, Williamsville and Orchard Park.

The rest of the districts showed enrollment growth, generally, of less a single percent. Only Clarence was higher, with 2 percent.

Wow. What's happening here?

Thread Information