Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the new sidewalks?

Where's the new sidewalks?

Back at the end of May 2014 I posted that the town of Cheektowaga was forcing us to fix our sidewalks by June 16th if we do it ourselves or hire someone.....at that time I was told by The company I had give me an estimate that the deadline was impossible with all the rain we were getting. SO, Myself and many other neighbors decided to have the town repair them and bill us with the payment due in full by Sept 2, 2014.....well it I Sept 2nd and the sidewalks have not yet been torn up....had I known that the town was going take this long in spite of the tone of the certified letters they sent to approx. 28 homes on my street..... I would have gotten many more estimates or possibly did it myself. F'in more government hurry up and wait.....if the town does it now the damage to the lawns will probably not get fixed until next spring!

Town Board meeting tonight, started at 6:45, run (or drive) over there and ask the people in charge.

You're saying that the town took your money and didn't do the work? Hmmm I see Al Vaughters, the BBB and the Attorney General blasting scammer contractors all the time for stuff like that. Sometimes it ends with jail time.

The problem is trying to believe that there's not enough money in the town to fix the sidewalks. Pretty sad they are forcing residents to fix them on their own. Maybe we should send certified letters to the town ordering them TO FIX THE ROADS!
    Last edited by NY The Vampire State; September 2nd, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    The problem is trying to believe that there's not enough money in the town to fix the sidewalks. Pretty sad they are forcing residents to fix them on their own. Maybe we should send certified letters to the town ordering them TO FIX THE ROADS!

Should ask for the 6 inch slab, at what cost was that? 10 cents a square foot?

You're saying that the town took your money and didn't do the work? Hmmm I see Al Vaughters, the BBB and the Attorney General blasting scammer contractors all the time for stuff like that. Sometimes it ends with jail time.

I did not say they Billed us and did not do the work.....they actually ordered us via certified return receipt signature required mail to have the sidewalks replaced at our expense by 6/16/2014 (approx. 2.5 weeks from receiving the letter) or the town would do it and bill us at x amount or y amount per 5 ft block (no exact price was given, but it was much more then the 10 cents/ft for the 6in concrete) payment in FULL due 9/2/2014 or it will be added to your tax bill with interest....this upset many of the older single people in the neighborhood and they were asking me yesterday about it. Money was also spent for people to come around and mark the sidewalk blocks in need of replacing and another team to photograph the front yards of the houses....this was back in June....and nothing has happened since....We will see if we get billed!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So a group of people were demanding the property owners fix their side walks while infrastructure around our town seems neglected by the people who work for us?

If they charge you in your tax bill you have a valid complaint. Go to the Town Judge and demand action !

OH wait there's nothing he can do !

So go to the Board Meeting and demand they fix it !

OH wait there's nothing you can make them do.

They'll say they didn't want to raise taxes again so they are waiting for next year or similar statement. Maybe they under estimated the number of people that would chose to have the Town do it and they don't have the money!

Bottom line government can attach these type costs to you - force you to comply - but taxpayers cant force or compel them to do anything.

OH wait - you can vote them out or talk to your neighbors and ask them to quit voting straight Party line.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I'd be very suspicious of any contractor that quotes a replacement price lower that what it will cost you out of pocket. First, the town rate is generally lower because of the economy of scale. Second, the town is paying 40% of the cost. I can't imagine where another contractor would be able to reduce his cost to cover that 40%. As for the delay, the town's contractor's are subject to the same weather delay's as the contractors you spoke to.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'd be very suspicious of any contractor that quotes a replacement price lower that what it will cost you out of pocket. First, the town rate is generally lower because of the economy of scale. Second, the town is paying 40% of the cost. I can't imagine where another contractor would be able to reduce his cost to cover that 40%. As for the delay, the town's contractor's are subject to the same weather delay's as the contractors you spoke to.
    No doubt...but was the town's contractor subject to the same short June 16th deadline the taxpayers were?....absolutely not!....were they given more then the 2.5 weeks the tax payers were given?.....yes they were....and it still is not done! The town pressured us taxpayers by giving us a short time frame to get it done which forced us into having the town do the work (that is yet to be done) and agreeing to terms that have now past.

Does the passing of the Sept 2nd deadline for payment in full of which the work was never done and we were never billed mean we can now tell the town we no longer want them to do the work?

First and foremost - notice how pro-dem nogods only responded with a wide angle defense for the Town.

He didn't for one second mention a remedy or course of action for taxpayers - that's because he has a sweet spot for local Dem Government.

The Town had plenty of time to preplan there actions - think about it ! They had to start discussing this months before notices went out - they had to have the Towns Attorney agree with the threatening letters. No one person acted alone - no one person just a week or so before hand said, "I'm gonna send out these letters - all by myself" -

It was a collective action - they had to have enough time to visually inspect each property - take picures - document address where work was need and then have people process all that info. - That takes months folks !

Also - your tax dollars were used to pay for all that - who got paid.

Tax dollars would have been also used to pay what Nogods acts like is the "Town Portion" - he stated the "Town would pay 40%" - that forty percent came from your pocket - your property taxes paid that 40%.

He would and they would prefer you let them do it - this way - like their new landscape deal - they could farm the work out to "Party Supporters" -

You know like the ones that screwed people last time with the 4 for 6 deal -

These people think you don't - people like nogods supports this system. To him anything that they can use as a "Tax Funded Party Favor"(like the work contract) - is just part of the "Winner take all Party game" - he's a Party Faithful Lawyer -

This is why one party control is wrong - Voting Party line supports patronage and log rolling contracts.

You pay - they play and they know they will just keep getting reelected. - Its your tax money !

PS - They probably didn't bill you because there's most likely a legal question about how they were trying to ad it to your taxes -

But don't forget to Vote!
    Last edited by 4248; September 3rd, 2014 at 12:27 AM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I can't imagine where another contractor would be able to reduce his cost to cover that 40%.
    I can... they're not going to pour 6" for a sidewalk. That's way overkill.

I can... they're not going to pour 6" for a sidewalk. That's way overkill.
    6" is cheaper to install according to the town's contract with its vendor. 4" - $5 per square; 6" - $.10 per square.

Why not take advantage of the pricing? You may want 6" where the sidewalk crosses the driveway

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    6" is cheaper to install according to the town's contract with its vendor. 4" - $5 per square; 6" - $.10 per square.

Why not take advantage of the pricing? You may want 6" where the sidewalk crosses the driveway
    Does that make any sense at all?

The difference between 4 and 6 inches on a 100 foot side walk is about 2 yds.
    Last edited by NY The Vampire State; September 3rd, 2014 at 08:30 AM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Nothing wrong with going a little over kill on your sidewalk. You want it to last as long as possible.

It's the town decision makers that don't make sense. http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/...heektowaga.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information