Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Blind Spot Theory

The Blind Spot Theory

Anyone who has ever taken Introduction to Psychology in college learned about the senses. In the part about vision, we were taught about how where the optic nerve attaches to the retina, we have a blind spot in our field of vision. The existence of this blind spot is demonstrated to the student with a diagram. One such diagram I saw had an X on one side of the page and a circular ink spot a few inches away to the right. If you hold the diagram flush to your face and focus on the X, the ink spot on the right will seemingly disappear from your peripheral vision and is replaced with a field of white. A more interesting diagram has the ink spot replaced with a grid. In the grid, there is a spot where there are no grid lines and only a field of white. When you hold the diagram up to your face, the grid-free area disappears and is replaced with grid lines.

Psychologists believe that in order to facilitate a continuous field of vision, the brain fills in the blanks with the surrounding colors or lines so that the blind spot will not be noticeable. To demonstrate the existence of the blind spot, try it out yourself at
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep.../blindspot.htm.

Several years back, it occurred to me that this phenomenon could be extrapolated into a general theory of why people believe silly things. I believe that this theory is particularly appropriate as an explanation for conspiracy theories. It is my contention that many people, usually, though not exclusively the less educated, unconsciously fill in the blanks with their imagination to explain that which they don’t understand. The most recent example of this is a number of online essays I have read concerning the destruction of the World Trade Center. The conspiracy goes, the planes that crashed into the WTC did not have the capacity to take down the buildings themselves, and that there must have been some kind of explosives placed throughout the structures that caused the implosions. An example of this argument can be found at LewRockwell.com (http://www.lewrockwell.com/reynolds/reynolds12.html)

According to Morgan Reynolds, Professor of Criminal Justice at Texas A&M, there was a cable upgrade going on at the Trade Center just a few days prior to 9/11, which could have provided ample opportunity to plant large amounts of explosives throughout the structures. Contrary to the conventional wisdom, Reynolds claims that 19 Arabs acting at the behest of OBL in Afghanistan is the real conspiracy theory. Or at least the theory that the government is peddling as an explanation.

After reading this article, I sent Professor Reynolds a sardonic email that read as follows:

Dear Professor:

Since you posit another conspiracy theory concerning the collapse of the WTC, I submit to you the following: The Council on Foreign Relations, the Trilateral Commission, and Halliburton are all involved in a conspiracy to make all things appear to be a conspiracy. And since you support this appearance of a conspiracy regarding the WTC, I must conclude that you are part of this grand conspiracy to make everything look like a conspiracy. According to your bio, you reside in Texas, which is, after all, conspiracy central.

Battalion Chief Joseph P. Fahey

Professor Reynolds replied:

Chief Fahey:
    Here is an excerpt from an essay of mine which constitutes my reply:
    Skepticism about conspiracy, small or large, is somewhat beside the point in the case of 9/11 because the official Osama-and-Nineteen-Young-Arabs (ONYA) conspiracy tale is so farcical and impossible.
    Please read:
    http://nomoregames.net/index.php?pag...d_minds_on_911
    or (same thing):
    http://www.physics911.net/morganreynolds.htm

Best regards,
    Morgan Reynolds

A few hours later, Professor Reynolds replied with another email part of which was forwarded from a like-minded colleague.

Date: April 18, 2006 3:34:36 PM CDT
    To: “Morgan Reynolds”
    Cc: “Lone Eagle” , “Nila Sagadevan” , “AK Dewdney”
    Subject: Re: WTC

My thoughts for Chief Fahey. Approximately 343 of his FDNY colleagues died on September 11. 2001, apparently due to demolition charges placed in the North and South Towers. They did not falter in their attempts to help others. He may want to view the videos Loose Change and 9/11 In Plane Site before being dismissive about credible charges that his colleagues were murdered by powerful traitors. This thought should be weighed very carefully. Feel free to forward my reply to the good Battalion Chief.

Gregory M. Zeigler, Ph.D
    former Captain, US Army, Military Intelligence

I kid you not readers. These are actual emails I received. They can’t or won’t understand what really happened, so they made it up. A perfect example of my Blind Spot Theory in action.

Another psychology analogy (besides the blind spot) is the mind's constant attempt to find recognizable patterns in unfamiliar situations... like a man's face on a martian mountain, or a rabbit in a cloud formation, or leadership in city hall.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman
    Anyone who has ever taken Introduction to Psychology in college learned about the senses. In the part about vision, we were taught about how where the optic nerve attaches to the retina, we have a blind spot in our field of vision. Psychologists believe...

.... Feel free to forward my reply to the good Battalion Chief.

Gregory M. Zeigler, Ph.D
    former Captain, US Army, Military Intelligence

I kid you not readers. These are actual emails I received. They can’t or won’t understand what really happened, so they made it up. A perfect example of my Blind Spot Theory in action.
    So, what the Fireman is saying is: Psychologists should not be trying to explain optics so don't try deciphering military intelligence that you don't have access to. Which just goes back full circle to the administration trying to explain psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    So, what the Fireman is saying is: Psychologists should not be trying to explain optics so don't try deciphering military intelligence that you don't have access to. Which just goes back full circle to the administration trying to explain psychology.
    No, I am not saying that. I don't even understand what you are saying.

I like your theory, Fireman.

There are conspiracies surrounding seemingly every significant tragedy I can think of off the top of my head.

Hurricane Katrina's George Bush's fault.
    British and French Governments murdered Princess Di.
    Martin Luther King.
    JFK
    RFK
    San Francisco earthquake of 1906
    Abraham Lincoln
    Boston Massacre
    And now the World Trade Center

Some people just cannot accept that twenty arab scumbags could plan and carry out the events of 9/11 without us knowing. Did we bomb the USS Cole? Our embassies?
    I'm no fan of the war in Iraq or the Bush administration, but to suggest they were responsible for the destruction of the World Trade Center is just plain nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino330
    Some people just cannot accept that twenty arab scumbags could plan and carry out the events of 9/11 without us knowing.
    But, we DID know, remember Condoleza Rice's recollection of a memo circulated two weeks b4 the attack? She was asked to recall what it was titled...
    "I believe the title was "Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States."
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...11.commission/

I think conspiracy theories would have a lot less traction if our leaders weren't constantly setting new standards for dishonesty, incompetence, greed, arrogance, cronyism and the like. Look at the seemingly-implausible actions of our past few presidents: Iran/Contra, Cigar-Gate, the deliberate release of sensitive information during wartime for political gain, etc... Perhaps we'd be less likely to believe our leaders are capable of doing horrible things if they'd stop doing horrible things.

Treachery made a monster out of me

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideJohn
    I think conspiracy theories would have a lot less traction if our leaders weren't constantly setting new standards for dishonesty, incompetence, greed, arrogance, cronyism and the like. Look at the seemingly-implausible actions of our past few presidents: Iran/Contra, Cigar-Gate, the deliberate release of sensitive information during wartime for political gain, etc... Perhaps we'd be less likely to believe our leaders are capable of doing horrible things if they'd stop doing horrible things.
    I don't know- I think people are just more aware of the corruption. I suppose 24 hour news is responsible- in their desperation to get something on TV, well, when there's not a plane trying to land with a stuck nosewheel, or some mid/upper class Euro-american is killed in Aruba, they might actually find something. Not sure about that though- the mass media has failed us on so many things I'm not confortable giving them credit for anything.

Enough eructation already. People that are obsessed with something will see it everywhere. We've all done it. If you think the feds played a role in 9/11, you will see the slightest thing filtered through those blinders....adding more gas to the fire. Tough to refute human nature.

Do any of you know how hard it would be to fly a heavy jet at 500+ kts into something as small as the WTC? And it would be pretty tough to program the flight computer to do it because of the speeds involved. Especially trying to load the info into the system while fighting to keep control of the aircraft. An aircraft that novice pilots had NO actual experience on, only sim time.

Sorry kids, doesn't pass the smell test.

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore
    Do any of you know how hard it would be to fly a heavy jet at 500+ kts into something as small as the WTC? And it would be pretty tough to program the flight computer to do it because of the speeds involved. Especially trying to load the info into the system while fighting to keep control of the aircraft. An aircraft that novice pilots had NO actual experience on, only sim time.

Since two planes actually did crash into the WTC, not were hard.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Northshore

So are you acutally saying that yo udon't believe airplane hit hte towers?

There are a surprisingly number of people who are saying that the attacks were staged. Some say that the planes had no windows. Others are saying that the Flight 175 had a pod underneath. Many think that the subsequent explosions mean that there were explosives in the buildings. Hundreds of millions of people saw the planes crash into the towers but their blind spot causes them to see something more.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman
    There are a surprisingly number of people who are saying that the attacks were staged. Some say that the planes had no windows. Others are saying that the Flight 175 had a pod underneath. Many think that the subsequent explosions mean that there were explosives in the buildings. Hundreds of millions of people saw the planes crash into the towers but their blind spot causes them to see something more.
    You gotta be joking. I knew people who were there when it happened. That would of been one hell of a staged event.

The part that was staged was not the physical events of this day. The "what happended" was not staged.
    The why and how and who part was staged.
    They're very good at confusing you.
    They will make themselves look inept (overlooking evidence of impending doom etc..) to distract you from making themselves look guilty.
    Someday you'll see and this admin.'s legacy will be infamy and shame.

Interesting theory. With all of my total revulsion with the Bush administration and the destruction it's brought to the US and the world, I have never thought, and probably never will think, that it conspired to stage the 9/11 tragedy.
    I do think that this administration is opportunist, and the 9/11 event fell on fertile ground.
    That day was carefully planned for at least a year, by at least 30 or more determined individuals, IMO, and backed by a huge sum of money and inpired by hate. Money can come from anywhere, donated, stolen. This kind of perpretator love ironic and particularly cruel twists incorporated into his plans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information