Thread: The best solution to right size Albany?

Actually.......

Dougles has it right, maybe unwittingly. Bankruptcy would sure be a quick and dirty way of getting everything right sized again.
    Gene Chaas
    Coordinator, NY Modern Whig Party
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org
    With the power of soul, anything is possible. - JMH

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    SO as the budget gaps increase... and NYS government across the board (local/county/state) continues to just take more and more from the NON-government worker and NON-government business owner when does it stop?

There are some people I know that just can't make more revenue because of the crappy business environment NYS/county/local fiefdoms have created.

As long as there is not consequences for continually picking our pockets they will never stop. You do all realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by FREEDOM ONE View Post
    Dougles has it right, maybe unwittingly. Bankruptcy would sure be a quick and dirty way of getting everything right sized again.
    We need an artillary strike on our position,

We have been overrun.

Wow, this wasnt supposed to be an entirely new thread, just a reply to someone else. Res , you messin' with me!?

And I am one of those people Res. Man, moving to NC, FL, TN would GUARANTEE a 35% min jump in salary. And I can still buy a nice home for almost the same as here outside Nashville.
    Gene Chaas
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I've been watching people for the last 5 years beating their head into a brick wall.

You don't accomplish anything by doing so.

Gotta get people elected or knock the legs from under the ones screwing us. Or lets say it this way. We need to get people elected who believe in what most non-government labor/non-government business owners believe in.

A bankrupt New York State is a chance at a better New York State. No kidding!!!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I've been watching people for the last 5 years beating their head into a brick wall.

You don't accomplish anything by doing so.

Gotta get people elected or knock the legs from under the ones screwing us. Or lets say it this way. We need to get people elected who believe in what most non-government labor/non-government business owners believe in.
    Yup, that is our mission. Even more to the point, the modern Whig philosophy is NO negative campainging, talk ONLY about issues and solutions, never about peronalities.

We'll try to empower the public to beat the pols heads against the wall!

Long odds though, not only recruiting volunteers, but a fresh new crop of leadership from the citizens of NY.

The good news is, even newbies couldn't muck it up as much as the professional politicians have.
    Gene Chaas
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    NO negative campainging
    Just educate people on what the group of people who are elected are doing. Your really not against "our" government. Your against the people who are taking our money and giving it to others. A lot of the programs are not even noble causes.. Just grants for people who bribe.. I mean support current people in elected seats.

In fact, in internal discussions with other state chairs on national issues, I beleive we are truly more "consitutional" than even the CP party. Oh, and you dont need to take communion with Whigs. Its totally cool if you do, but totally cool if you dont. No religion required. Even being a good little altar boy ( I LOVED ringing the chimes during the Blessing of the Host), I realize that religion and power ( politics) are like gas and matches. You KNOW what is going to end up happenin! Aint no good.
    Gene Chaas
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org

As long as the DEM's control the country, NYS will never be allowed to go bankrupt. However if Tx ever ran into the same problem and i doubt it would, Obama Pelosi and Reid would never bail them out.

Bankruptcy has as good a chance happening in NYS as does NYC being kicked out of the state. Upstate should push for two budgets one that controls north of westchester and another south of it. Upstates chould CHARGE downstate for each prisoner we have, we could charge them more for the water and power we send to them.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Truth, as most of us already know, the best solutions are typically the hardest solutions. The best solution here is not bankrupcy, but a change of the guard.

Historically Whigs have formed to oppose tyranny. U.S. Whigs agaisnt the tyranny of Andy Jackson, Scottish Whiggamores against the tyranny of the British crown, and modern Whigs agaisnt the tyranny of the political class.

In NY the final years of the Whigs were tainted by scandal, i.e., Myron Clark selling Coast Guard commissions for one. So, we start anew with a pledge, a code of ethics we will maintain, which the citizens will require us to maintain. Which members of the political class simply cannot adhere to.

And remember, here is an organization that is open all citizens, but being reborn by veterans, young and old, so you'll have to agree to this, " I shall not lie, cheat or steal , nor tolerate those who do."

And we live "outside the box", in a tent , down by the river. So expect well thought out, and completley unique solutions.

Only need about 100,000 souls to pull it off.

Can we count you in?
    Gene Chaas
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org

Quote Originally Posted by FREEDOM ONE View Post
    Truth, as most of us already know, the best solutions are typically the hardest solutions. The best solution here is not bankrupcy, but a change of the guard.

Historically Whigs have formed to oppose tyranny. U.S. Whigs agaisnt the tyranny of Andy Jackson, Scottish Whiggamores against the tyranny of the British crown, and modern Whigs agaisnt the tyranny of the political class.

In NY the final years of the Whigs were tainted by scandal, i.e., Myron Clark selling Coast Guard commissions for one. So, we start anew with a pledge, a code of ethics we will maintain, which the citizens will require us to maintain. Which members of the political class simply cannot adhere to.

And remember, here is an organization that is open all citizens, but being reborn by veterans, young and old, so you'll have to agree to this, " I shall not lie, cheat or steal , nor tolerate those who do."

And we live "outside the box", in a tent , down by the river. So expect well thought out, and completley unique solutions.

Only need about 100,000 souls to pull it off.

Can we count you in?
    I'm in, but I doubt it can happen without bankruptcy to destroy the parasites.

Devil is in the details....

So when the GM bankruptcy came around, the term "functional bankruptcy" came into play. Quite sure that wasnt the route pursued, but it was an intriguing concept. Here's why.....

When any municipality goes bankrupt, or has a precitpitous downgrade in credit quality, its borrowing costs go way up. At the same time, all its outstanding public debt is put in question. Its not Wall Street elites that get hurt by a massive downgrade in NYS debt, its Ma and Pa Kettle, literally, in that bond fund or in the individual issues of NYS bonds they hold. So a NYS bankrputcy would hurt many, many souls, and in a precipitous fashion against their net worth and particularly against their income.

This is not the same effect as a renegotiation of future cash flows from the NYS pension fund to participants, which is a long term cash flow question, meaning that individuals, and the overall economy, has time to incorproate the changes into the mix.

Very much unlike Ma and Pa Kettle who may have $500-1000 a month taken away from their income. NOW.

It would, therefore, be ideal to segregate out expenditures, including the current funding of the pension scheme. Here I'm out of my field of expertise but, can a entity like NYS operate in a "functional bankrputcy", whereas all current payments to vendors and creditors are made, subject to strategic review, while personnel costs are frozen, employment contracts are held null and void until further review???

Ideally, we would like to "view the forest" by looking simply at the numbers regarding the NYS pension scheme, and run some scenarios showing the impact of curtailing current funding. This way we can model how the fund will look in the future, and have an intelligent, non-politically tainted, discussion as to what needs to be done to maintain decent retiree benefits, but with some cut backs.

Devil 1: GM only had one ( maybe two) unions to deal with. How many does NYS have wading near the feeding trough? So here , we'd prefer to make them one entity for purposes of renegotiation, leaving it up to a "intra-union collective bargaining group" to dole out the slices of this new, smaller, yet vastly more durable, pie.

Now, you can argue that its all contractural and they deserve it. This is underastood, but the point is, after a careful review of the pension scheme, we will inevitable see that we cannot afford all that has been promised. Therefore we have two options: 1.) deal with it upfront in a intelligent, non-political way, and provide more accurate future projections of cash flows for both NYS citizens AND NYS retirees, or 2.) keep our heads buried in the sand, as is the current stance, until NYS citizens AND NYS pensioners finally get their arses shot off one day.

So you can plan your retirement accordingly, or you can pray ( aint gonna work) you never get that letter saying your $2800 a month pension will be $1500 with no survivor benefit AND you have to pick up medical on your own as the pension is near bankrupt.

Me, I don't much like getting my arse shot off when I've got a blind fold on. Would rather have a fighting chance.

So, lets get out and fight.
    Gene Chaas
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org

hehehe, yeah that's the trouble with doing stuff right, it usually inst a one liner.....
    Gene Chaas
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org

Thread Information