Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Metro Rail Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    Light rail is the most nimble and versatile of all the train types. It can run on railroad ROWs, at-grade on streets, on elevated structures, or in underground tunnels. The possiblilites are endless. Oh yeah, and no third rail that zaps people to death if they touch it like most heavy-rail subway/el systems.
    nice work Gabe, the airport run from downtown is a natural. But it could include the Central Terminal and Galleria Mall, as the right of ways are already there for nearly a clean run from downtown, according to the late great modib, and it appears he's right.

The east side would be a huge benificiary too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boost Buffalo; April 19th, 2006 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Does the subway have enough riders to cover the operational cost?
    I don't have exact data, but I highly doubt it does. No mass transit systems in this country do. I believe the only system that actually turn a profit are in Japan. Trains are so successful there that many of the lines are owned and operating by private operators.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost Buffalo
    Does it include the Central Terminal in its path? I think the right of ways are already there.
    The Terminal would be the big red dot in that photo.

nice work Gabe, the airport run is a natural. Does it include the Central Terminal in its path? I think the right of ways are already there.
    Yes, the tracks do run right past the central terminal, but it's a quite a complicated sitation there. On BR, Mike Miller, a voulnteer at the CT restoration group basically says there are huge logistical problems:

The idea of having a stop at the Central Terminal will come after the complex is restored and once again an economic asset (ie. offices, retail stores, etc.). That is a long term, piece meal project that will take years to complete. The Metro Rail station there would probably be a small satellite one, at best.

There is also a logistical problem that must be solved: getting passengers from the tracks to the terminal (the passenger bridge was severed from the concourse in the '80's to allow for double decker trains) past the active Amtrak and CSX lines. The CSX line runs so close to the back of the building that it would be hard to raise the bridge high enough to clear the tracks. Plus, the existing passenger loading platforms would most likely have to be torn down in favor of a new, smaller passenger loading platform design. All problems not insurmountable, just not impossible, but not likely in the near future.
    So yeah, this will certainly be possible well after the line is built, at a time when the CT finally finds a worthwile use and the money can be found to do the massive platform re-configuration required to allow a stop to be built there.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    That mono rail is cool...

NO gas or diesel Northstart. Electric. We have one of the largest batteries in the world in lewiston so electric should be the only way to go. No polution and if we were acutally charged fairly for electric it would be awesome.

All I'm saying is, if you're gonna do it, DO SOMETHING!!! If it's not perfect, we can fix it later.

Enough of the "study it to death" nonsense that has become WNY.

Mike's not thinking outside the box enough on this one. There's no reason that the new platforms would need to be in the place of the old platforms. Curtiss Street runs right underneath the Terminal. Light rail tracks could follow along Curtiss Street and let you off right underneath the concourse.

I'm going to ask again:::: why hasn't there been any actual studies done to determine the ridership of this wonderful rail system???

This is the same kind of bull manure that created the current subway to nowhere; people had to have a subway because Toronto had one. Proponents made all kind of wonderful claims about what it would do for the city. Well, the subway has really done a lot for Main Street, hasn't it? In fact, it's done so much that now the same people who had to have the subway now want to put cars back on Main Street in downtown ... to the tune of $50 million.

I've got a better idea. Use that $50 million to demolish the vacant houses and other buildings in the city that are fire hazards and havens for dopers, dog-fighters, and other ne'er-do-wells.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    I'm going to ask again:::: why hasn't there been any actual studies done to determine the ridership of this wonderful rail system???

This is the same kind of bull manure that created the current subway to nowhere.
    Thats not bull manure, Linda, thats from our union-politicians and our public authority.

So now the subway to nowhere is going to the airport, if sensible people get their way. Thats good.

Thats not bull manure, Linda, thats from our union-politicians and our public authority.

So now the subway to nowhere is going to the airport, if sensible people get their way. Thats good.
    You ignored my question. Why hasn't there been a scientific study of potential ridership done?
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    You ignored my question. Why hasn't there been a scientific study of potential ridership done?
    what, is that an order from farmland?

dont know

There's no reason to do a full-on study if there are no intentions of implementing such a route. Although I'd be surprised if the NFTA hasn't done some level of a study on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarEclipse
    There's no reason to do a full-on study if there are no intentions of implementing such a route. Although I'd be surprised if the NFTA hasn't done some level of a study on the issue.
    now that I think of it, modib had a link to an extensive study on the subject. Its out there somewhere.

some sort of study was done, with fed money
    http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...03/daily7.html
    Federal funding to back Metro Rail study
    Business First of Buffalo - February 3, 2003
    Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
    A $100,000 allocation from the federal government will be used to study long-term plans for the NFTA's Metro Rail.

Congressman Jack Quinn (R-Hamburg) announced the funding and was joined by officials from the NFTA and the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus.
    I'll look for more, but I found that after 1 simple google search
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information