Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever So Slow!

People who complain about gas prices don't understand basic economics.

Suppose gas is $2.00 a gallon for a car that gets 20mpg and is driven 15K / year that's and annual gas cost of $1500.

Now suppose gas is a full dollar more expensive or 50% more expensive than $2/gallon, what does the fuel cost rise to? $2250. That's an extra $750 year. Now suppose you just drive less so instead of driving 15K/year you do 10K/year. What would your gas expense go down to? Oh right, $1500 / year. Now 15K is a lot of mile for this part of the country, so if it really bothers you, move somewhere else. My guess is that small drop in gas prices does little to offset high real estate interest.

Finally the differences are not a full 50% higher, they are more like 20% at the most, in which case these expenses are relatively small compared to real estate or other large ticket items.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    People who complain about gas prices don't understand basic economics.

Suppose gas is $2.00 a gallon for a car that gets 20mpg and is driven 15K / year that's and annual gas cost of $1500.

Now suppose gas is a full dollar more expensive or 50% more expensive than $2/gallon, what does the fuel cost rise to? $2250. That's an extra $750 year. Now suppose you just drive less so instead of driving 15K/year you do 10K/year. What would your gas expense go down to? Oh right, $1500 / year. Now 15K is a lot of mile for this part of the country, so if it really bothers you, move somewhere else. My guess is that small drop in gas prices does little to offset high real estate interest.

Finally the differences are not a full 50% higher, they are more like 20% at the most, in which case these expenses are relatively small compared to real estate or other large ticket items.
    Genoobie, you're right, people should move if they don't like it. And they have been for 50 years. That's why people on the radio here continue to speak about cities like San Antonio and Portland as if they're these tiny cow stations. They still view this place as it was 60 years ago. It's not just gas prices. I don't know that real estate interest is higher elsewhere than it is here. What is greater is the value of the property on which the interest is owed. We live in this bizarre community in which we celebrate about an economy in a generations long recession because it's made our houses cheap! Our houses are cheap because no one wants to come here and youth are moving away. And don't trot out that Buffalo News-type crap about people flocking back here. The numbers simply don't support it.

two stations in Amherst $3.66 wow cheaper than delta sonic.. Avg gas in wny is $3.62 haven't seen that at all..
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

prices all over the place coming down in some areas.. Transit and Genesee Mobil 3.62.. delta sonic came down a little 3.67.... Out in Hamburg and Blasdell last night gas still high in most places still over 3.72 a gal seen one station on south park past near martin road 3.65..

so are station owners keeping the prices high since Mobil and Sunoco stations are ranging in prices up to ten cents...

This is how bad this area is getting ripped off by the area gas stations.. was on the NF blvd last night a NOCO station near moore .. $3.78... BS

Neighboring states and prices look at the diesel prices compared to this area.... maybe our politicians can help with the problem of gas prices around here.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    This is how bad this area is getting ripped off by the area gas stations.. was on the NF blvd last night a NOCO station near moore .. $3.78... BS

Neighboring states and prices look at the diesel prices compared to this area.... maybe our politicians can help with the problem of gas prices around here.

It's because of the politicians that the gas prices are what they are here.

dannny, you got it Higgins could careless yet look into why they are so high I just checked erie county gas prices are close to the highest in the nation...

kwik fill on transit in Lancaster next to john and Mary's is $3.62 I haven't seen anything under $3.60 yet..

Filled up Mobil @ Genesee and Transit.. $3.60 cheapest I have seen. I wonder why the area politicians have done nothing about lowering the prices in this area?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ileftchktg View Post
    Filled up Mobil @ Genesee and Transit.. $3.60 cheapest I have seen. I wonder why the area politicians have done nothing about lowering the prices in this area?
    More worried about fund raising... keeping themselves on the government dole... etc..

so they blame again the transportation cost of gas to this area for the high prices.. BS.. that was just on the news so what are the politicians doing to fix the issue.. sweeping it under the rug.. you cannot have that big of price difference between stations in the area and blame it on the transportation fee.. you have a station in the city on broadway at $3.99.... wake up politicians ..

some area rochester gas prices some areas in rochester as close as fifty miles from us. look at the delta sonic price and compared to the there station on walden and on transit in cheek and amherst.

I hate to be the one to break this to you everyone but Brian Highins us a dope. If you wait for him to accomplish anything meaningful it will be a long wait indeed.
    Last edited by grump; August 31st, 2014 at 11:48 AM.

gas prices are stable in this area went down one cent in the last seven days.. filled up on the res today because I was out that way $3.26... they say chief white hawk pee pee's in the gas ..

Highest rip off station is in hamburg... Stop & Gas
    4100 St Francis Dr near Lake Shore $3.88

In the city a bunch of rip off stations here is one Exxon
    2183 Genesee St & Crossman Av $3.78

$3.08 at most stations and still going down. they might reach the pre labor day price of $3.01 soon. oh yah marlboro's are $4.17 and others are $3.77. but then I am in south Carolina now
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

I saw a map showing the amount of federal, state and local tax per gallon in each of the states. In NY it was .68/gallon putting us right near the top. I suppose the federal tax is uniform so I suppose most of the difference is due to the folks in Albany.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    I saw a map showing the amount of federal, state and local tax per gallon in each of the states. In NY it was .68/gallon putting us right near the top. I suppose the federal tax is uniform so I suppose most of the difference is due to the folks in Albany.
    G, but government wants more people to move back to ny. the politicians have done nothing about any kind of tax breaks or lowering taxes to live in this state.. unless you a big business person that needs a tax break so they can make more money... cry baby carl , new era, jacobs family, etc..

gas came down one cent yesterday at delta sonic on transit.. happy dance...

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information