Thread: Cell Phone Bans............

Cell Phone Bans............

from the Buffalo News

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...09/1029586.asp

John Darowz, the owner of X-Cel Produce, doesn't hold back his feelings on cell phones.

A handmade sign near the entrance to his Elmwood Avenue store and sandwich shop says it all: "No cell phones. Not allowed. OFF. Zero. Zip zilch nada. None. OFF. Out." Darowz doesn't own a cell phone, he has thrown people out of his store for talking on their phones, and he has kept the ban even though it has cost him some loyal customers. "I don't feel we need [a cell phone] continuously," he said. "It's people's use of them. They become obnoxious with them."

Excuse me. You friggin sell cabbage. It's not high art. Yes, I do need my phone 24/7. It's on vibrate, has caller ID, theres a pretty good chance it will "ring", and when it does I will glance at the display and more than likely call them back. But for this tool to make dumbazz statements like that, well, guess what, you don't have anything I need that badly. I can buy tomatos anywhere.

One more reason why Buffalo is and will always be a city of losers.

WELCOME TO BUFFALO!! PLEASE SET YOUR WATCHES BACK 20 YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore
    John Darowz, the owner of X-Cel Produce, doesn't hold back his feelings on cell phones.

A handmade sign near the entrance to his Elmwood Avenue store and sandwich shop says it all: "No cell phones. Not allowed. OFF]
    Been there.

That dude is like Seinfeld’s "Soup Nazi". "Cell Phone?!" "No Sandwich for you!"

You should see his store, he plasters his opinions and rules everywhere, handwritten on wrapping paper.

Some people who are on a cell phone can't hear the person they're talking to very well so they think they need to raise their voice to be heard by the other person which isn't the case.

People should talk on the cell phone as if they're giving out thier credit card number. You know, sneaky qiuet.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I see the need for cell phones but some people are just plan rude.

I remember a woman on a cell phone while at Tops. While in the checkout line she's complaining she can't hear the other person while getting louder herself. If it's that annoying to use a cell phone WAIT till you get home to gossip.

I don't know why everyone is so intolerant of another person on a cell phone. It's weird. I've stood next to people talking rather loudly into their cell phone. Doesn't bother me. It's just another extraneous noise that's relatively easy to block out...that is, if you're more interested in doing that then you are wanting to be annoyed.

I've notice a trend latley where people seem to be looking to be offended.

There are more offensive problems in the world then the person next to you on a cell phone talking a little to loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore
    [I]John Darowz, the owner of X-Cel Produce, doesn't hold back his feelings on cell phones.
    One more reason why Buffalo is and will always be a city of losers.
    Don't condemn an entire city because of one nitwit. Cranks such as Darowz can be found anywhere.

I find his manner abrasive, and even though his sandwiches are pretty good, I never get my lunch there. The dealbreaker for me was when he yelled at an employee in front of me. Nothing says "no class" like berating the help in front of customers over a tiny mistake. I haven't been in his store since.

Still, I'm not sure what all the outrage is about here. It's his store. Isn't he free to set his own rules? Just like I'm free to get my sandwiches from Chris' New York Deli.

Treachery made a monster out of me

Exactly--follow his rules or get the heck out. In my opinion no cell phone should have any ringer other than vibrate. I am soooooooooo sick of listening to those annoying tones (I am guilty myself of having various ring tones).
    "The horror........The horror..........."

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas II
    Exactly--follow his rules or get the heck out. In my opinion no cell phone should have any ringer other than vibrate. I am soooooooooo sick of listening to those annoying tones (I am guilty myself of having various ring tones).
    Has anyone heard a cell phone ring that actually sounds like a real phone? The rings that try to sound like real rings sound very phony to me. They're always the first ones that I look for when I'm setting my ring, but I'm constantly disappointed. People are annoyed by the cell ringtones, but old fashioned phones don't seem to bother people as much... of course, land line phones don't ring in a restaurant, a store, etc. I think I would even pay a premium for a real bell in my cell!

^ I'm a poet and I didn't even knoet!
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by crlachepinochet
    I think I would even pay a premium for a real bell in my cell!
    It could be done; there are old pocket watches with chimes inside, even some which could play a tune !

I used to not care much about people on cell phones, other than them talking on them in movies and other places where talking in general is supposed to not happen.
    Then a few weeks ago I was behind a lady on her cell phone while she was ordering at Mighty Taco. She ended up with the wrong stuff on her food because when asked by the clerk she just nodded her head and wasn't paying attention to what she was asked.
    I hope the clerk didn't get in trouble for the order being wrong

But generally speaking, how is someone on a cell phone different from them talking to someone at their table? This is why, generally speaking at least, I don't understand the hatred of cell phones in public (other than the before mentioned example of at a movie where I get mad at non-cell phone talkers too)
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

The amazing value of a cell phone was brought home to me yesterday at the DMV window when the Clerk looked at my proof of insurance and stated that I needed an insurance card dated that very day. I whipped out my cell phone (don't say it Ragin' ) and called my insurance agent from the DMV window who, within seconds, was able to fax the new Insurance card directly to the DMV clerk. Without the cell phone, I'd still be there.......
    "The horror........The horror..........."

Thread Information