Thread: Airport safety issue affects all Lancaster residents

Airport safety issue affects all Lancaster residents

We are asking all Lancaster residents to join SAC Wednesday, August 5th.

Lee to Host Meeting Between FAA Officials and Lancaster Residents
    Friday July 24, 2009

Potential Safety and Noise Pollution Concerns Near Buffalo-Lancaster Airport Have Been Under Review Since March

WASHINGTON – Congressman Chris Lee (NY-26) announced this evening that next month he will host a meeting between Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) officials and Lancaster residents to discuss potential safety and noise pollution concerns in the proximity of the Buffalo-Lancaster Airport.

Congressman Lee first brought concerns raised by Lancaster residents to FAA officials in late March. Since that time, the matter has been under review by the agency’s Rochester Flight Standards District Office (FSDO), which has jurisdiction over aviation activity in the Buffalo area.

The meeting, which will be open to the press, is set to be held at the Buffalo-Lancaster Airport on Wednesday, August 5 at 6:30 p.m.

“I pushed to make this meeting happen because I thought it was important for Lancaster residents to have their concerns addressed directly by the federal officials charged with protecting those living near our airports,” Congressman Lee said. “Of course, all Western New Yorkers are more sensitive to aviation safety issues in light of the Flight 3407 tragedy, which is why I hope this meeting will help determine what action items may be necessary to keep everyone safe.”

The Buffalo-Lancaster Airport is located 5.5 miles from the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport, which is served by several air carriers. This close proximity makes the airspace in the area more complex.

I'll be there. And let me tell you something, I will get every damn GA pilot/supporter to attend. I'll post flyers at every FBO within a 30 mile radius of Lancaster.

You want a battle? I'll give you war.

Quote Originally Posted by C172RG View Post
    I'll be there. And let me tell you something, I will get every damn GA pilot/supporter to attend. I'll post flyers at every FBO within a 30 mile radius of Lancaster.

A few questions

Do you or have you flown out of Lancaster Airport?

Have you ever observed flight operations out here?

What do consider safe operation in a touch and go/ practice environment as far as altitude and the flying directly over residences?

What kind of war are you talking about?

Sir/ is that a threat? If that is your plan, we will make sure the officers of Lancaster are present then.

You know nothing about the issues this town has and therefore have no right to threaten the people who live here.

I feel threatened and I think the police of Lancaster should know about it.

I will most definitly be at this meeting

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post

Friday July 24, 2009

Potential Safety and Noise Pollution Concerns Near Buffalo-Lancaster Airport Have Been Under Review Since March

WASHINGTON – Congressman Chris Lee (NY-26) announced this evening that next month he will host a meeting between Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) officials and Lancaster residents to discuss potential safety and noise pollution concerns in the proximity of the Buffalo-Lancaster Airport.

Congressman Lee first brought concerns raised by Lancaster residents to FAA officials in late March. Since that time, the matter has been under review by the agency’s Rochester Flight Standards District Office (FSDO), which has jurisdiction over aviation activity in the Buffalo area.

The meeting, which will be open to the press, is set to be held at the Buffalo-Lancaster Airport on Wednesday, August 5 at 6:30 p.m.

“I pushed to make this meeting happen because I thought it was important for Lancaster residents to have their concerns addressed directly by the federal officials charged with protecting those living near our airports,” Congressman Lee said. “Of course, all Western New Yorkers are more sensitive to aviation safety issues in light of the Flight 3407 tragedy, which is why I hope this meeting will help determine what action items may be necessary to keep everyone safe.”

The Buffalo-Lancaster Airport is located 5.5 miles from the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport, which is served by several air carriers. This close proximity makes the airspace in the area more complex.

Itch, when did this transpire? We will be there and I feel this person has taken a special attack against the people of Lancaster.

It wasn't a threat at all. No police need to be present. I live in Lancaster, I fly out of the airport, my plane is tied down at Lancaster. I observe the operations at Lancaster daily.

I do consider it safe practice for students to do touch and go's over Lancaster. If I didn't, I couldn't sign them off to solo.

And how do you know specifically they are 200-500 feet off the ground? You don't. Your guessing again and making up nonsense.

I think YOU feel threatened because your being challenged by someone with more intelligence then you.

It wasn't a threat at all. No police need to be present. I live in Lancaster, I fly out of the airport, my plane is tied down at Lancaster. I observe the operations at Lancaster daily.

I do consider it safe practice for students to do touch and go's over Lancaster. If I didn't, I couldn't sign them off to solo.

And how do you know specifically they are 200-500 feet off the ground? You don't. Your guessing again and making up nonsense.

I think YOU feel threatened because your being challenged by someone with more intelligence then you.
    ahhhhhhhhh, I live right underneath where you fly over, i can judge distance.
    Your pilots fly directly over my house sometimes so low you are truly a risk to public safety. If you are so sure you are flying safe,let an FAA inspector observe unannounced. Nobody is making anything up about low flying aircraft!

Actually a FAA inspector was here a month ago. I got ramp checked. He looked through all my documents, talked to the airport manager. It was quite a big to do.

And yes, if you live right next to the airport there will be low flying aircraft. It's common sense.

Actually a FAA inspector was here a month ago. I got ramp checked. He looked through all my documents, talked to the airport manager. It was quite a big to do.

And yes, if you live right next to the airport there will be low flying aircraft. It's common sense.
    so answer my question
    What is an acceptable altitude and why is it ok to fly directly over residential housing at altitudes less than FAA recommendations?

Its great the FAA passed your ground check and talked to the airport manager. Did they observe flight ops?

Yes they observed the flight ops.

An acceptable altitude to be at while doing touch and goes is 800-1000 feet above the ground. Nothing less than oh say 800AGL is okay, and even legal.

It's illegal to fly below a certain altitudes over residential areas and citys. I understand your concern about safety, what I'm trying to explain is that I've never witnessed a pilot flying the traffic pattern in a unsafe manner. And if I did, I would report them to the FAA.

Yes they observed the flight ops.

An acceptable altitude to be at while doing touch and goes is 800-1000 feet above the ground. Nothing less than oh say 800AGL is okay, and even legal.

It's illegal to fly below a certain altitudes over residential areas and citys. I understand your concern about safety, what I'm trying to explain is that I've never witnessed a pilot flying the traffic pattern in a unsafe manner. And if I did, I would report them to the FAA.
    I appreciate your response, you have stated precisely what I have been saying.
    Based on this, you should come over and sit at Westwood Rd right as you make a left off Pavement. Do this without telling any of your fellow pilots on a day when flight ops are heavy. You watch and observe and then you can tell me whether anyone is below 800 AGL. You can also watch as they fly directly over my house. Observe high power left turns coming directly over at low altitudes. Then lets talk.
    I do respect your right to fly. I more so respect my right to keep my family and my neighbors safe. Instead of a war, lets find a common solution.

That meeting took place a year ago. Had you really read the post you would have picked up on that.

I am at Wetwood Park quite frequently and I can assure you the planes are no 800 feet AGL. Apparently you work for the flight school. Many believe the flight school is the crux of the problem and even believe the operation is illegal.

You would have to post FBO's 30 miles away as very few pilots reside in Lancaster.

[QUOTE=C172RG;657258]It wasn't a threat at all. No police need to be present. I live in Lancaster, I fly out of the airport, my plane is tied down at Lancaster. I observe the operations at Lancaster daily.

I think YOU feel threatened because your being challenged by someone with more intelligence then you.[/QUOT

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post

Friday July 24, 2009

This is an old post from 2009....

Thread Information