Thread: What the heck! School Tax Revenue from Cell phone bills?

qu1nn

What the heck! School Tax Revenue from Cell phone bills?

Cell Phone Taxes
    I believe this is outrageous and needs to be stopped immediately.
    Everyone should start making a stink on this to verizon....

Copied From:
    http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=36739

Carolann Hyde of Batavia is looking at her cell phone bill and reading offf a long list of taxes on it she pays.

She's had it with the taxes and now she's even more outraged by another tax that just started appearing on her cell bill: a Batavia school tax.

Carolann Hyde, Batavia Resident; "I already pay my school taxes in escrow and now I'm getting charged another school tax. So it's like I'm getting charged twice."

Western New Yorkers who live in certain school districts are starting to see what's called a 3% consumer utility tax on their cell phone bills. School districts in cities with populations under 125,000 people can collect it. Towns and villages with those populations don't qualify under the law.

In Western New York the school districts getting the money are in Batavia, Lackawanna, and Niagara Falls. Verizon Wireless says the New York State Tax Department told them to start collecting in. Like tjhie customers, the company doesn't like it.

John O'Malley, Verizon Wireless; "Wireless customers in New York State are the highest taxed customers in the nation. You can pay 20-22% of your bill just for taxes and surcharges in the state."

Since the Taxation Department collects it for the schools, our quesion for the atate is...

Mike Igoe:"Where does the money go?"

Tom Bergin, New York state department of Taxation & Finance: "The school districts do what they want with it. Most of them put it in their general fund. That's up to the individual school districts."

Even with that explanation our viewer Carolann says; "I think it's a little outrageous."

there are a couple of consumer groups that are actively involved in the taxation on cell phones issue. To get in touch with them just click on the links.

So is this still going on or what?
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'm still waiting for the "temporary" sales tax to end.

Thread Information