Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plan to make towns pay for road patrols moves ahead

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    Maybe not, Frenchy. There is a group pressing Albany now (someone help me with their name or website... I can't remember) to create 2 levels of regulations: 1 for NYC metro and 1 for the rest of the state. This would allow NYC to maintain is highly regulated and expensive environment, while allowing upstate to create more realistic regulations that would allow for economic growth.

To me this seemed like the perfect alternative to breaking NYS in two.
    Although I usually have a mantle of infallibility which il Papa can only dream of, I wasn't sure. So--n'est-ce pas.

Thanks for resolving it.

It's one of those things where you say to yourself, "Wait, you're kidding me, right. You mean to say the same regulations that apply to NYC apply to Elmira?"

Then you think how simplistic state folks tend to be and the correct answer suggests itself.

If you do find a link to the group, I'd be interested.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    Although I usually have a mantle of infallibility which il Papa can only dream of, I wasn't sure. So--n'est-ce pas.

Thanks for resolving it.

It's one of those things where you say to yourself, "Wait, you're kidding me, right. You mean to say the same regulations that apply to NYC apply to Elmira?"

Then you think how simplistic state folks tend to be and the correct answer suggests itself.

If you do find a link to the group, I'd be interested.
    I heard this, too. It might have been on the tv news.

I also think it's do-able in that there are already so many special regs that apply only to NYC and it's metro. The big one that I can think of is rent-control. This will take time, though.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

the towns already pay for it, through existing taxes
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

Grand Island is virtually a "green", wooded suburb, populated by 20,000 fairly well off citizens. It contains 2 State Parks, a beach & 18 hole golf course open to the public, as well as a private country club, and both public and private marinas. And you still want a county park?

You mean as opposed to the mean streets and slums of say, Orchard Park??

Quote Originally Posted by crlachepinochet
    That's it crlachepinochet. Thanks.

"Upstate can no longer afford the status quo. It needs a region-wide exemption from state policies that hurt the Upstate business climate and the authority to spend taxpayer money devoted to economic development on projects that will truly help our communities."

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewrona
    Grand Island is virtually a "green", wooded suburb, populated by 20,000 fairly well off citizens. It contains 2 State Parks, a beach & 18 hole golf course open to the public, as well as a private country club, and both public and private marinas. And you still want a county park?

Get real.
    You're right.

I can't decide where to park my yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore

You mean as opposed to the mean streets and slums of say, Orchard Park??
    OK you got me.

Grand Island have 2 State Parks, a public golf course, a private golf course, a public marina, a private marina, and an Amusement Park.

Orchard Park has a County park and a private golf course.

Yeah, Grand Island is defintely getting screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    You're right.

I can't decide where to park my yacht
    I feel sorry for you! Wish I had one.

might not happen

apparently the State delegation has told Giambra to back off from his plan to collect from municipalities. They threatened to not approve the 1st extra 1% sales tax which would send the county into unprecedented trouble. Paying for Road patrols is nothing compared to the problem that would cause. So this will be really interesting as it comes to a head. Time will tell.
    They hate us till they need us.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewrona
    Grand Island have 2 State Parks, a public golf course, a private golf course, a public marina, a private marina, and an Amusement Park.
    None of which are supported by county tax dollars.

The public golf course is located at Beaver Island State Park. State fees apply.

The public marina is located at Big Six Mile Creek Marina State Park. State fees apply.

Buckhorn State Park is a bird sanctuary, has no river access, is not easily accessible and has no amenities.

River Oaks Golf Club and Marina are privately owned.

The Buffalo Launch Club is privately owned.

Fantasy Island is privately owned.

Again, none of these are supported by county tax dollars.

Where do our county taxes go? Part of our county tax dollars pay for County Sheriff road patrols on Grand Island. Well, for now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PBAguy
    apparently the State delegation has told Giambra to back off from his plan to collect from municipalities. They threatened to not approve the 1st extra 1% sales tax which would send the county into unprecedented trouble. Paying for Road patrols is nothing compared to the problem that would cause. So this will be really interesting as it comes to a head. Time will tell.
    Anybody else but Giambra would realize that he overplayed his hand and his best move is to back off, but reality has never been King Joel's strong suit. A politician without a power base best be making plans for a future out of politics, but Giambra doesn't seem to "get it" that he's a persona non grata with both Republicans and Democrats not to mention the voters.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Good points ragin...

What bothers me most about asking towns w/o police departments to pay extra for sheriff department services is that it isn't clear those towns aren't paying their way via the county taxes they already pay.

Generally speaking, we're not talking high-crime areas here. And, really, how much in county spending do those towns require overall?

I think paying for patrols is just another way to get new revenue, and to exploit the feeling of those who live elsewhere that places like Grand Island and Clarence are ripping everyone else off.

Divide and conquer -- a highly effective to divert attention from real problems.

total
    Why should the guy in Cheektowaga or Tonawanda have to pay for his town police department thru town taxes and the sheriffs office through county taxes? Isn't that Cheektowaga/Tonawanda guy subsidizing police for Grand Island? I'm not trying to yank your chain just trying to put this in perspective:

If Satish just announced a new 10 cent sales tax in Amherst to pay for grand island police would you go along with it or be out raged? My guess is the average Amherst resident would have none of it, but basically that's how things are operating now. Everyone pays county taxes but some get a whole lot more for their money than others.

That hardly seems fair.

Just as a side note, I don't have the link anymore but I can tell you from the last time this discussion came up the sheriffs patrols answer more calls to grand island than anywhere else.

Oh and Ragin............ I will have that penny!
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by steven
    Just as a side note, I don't have the link anymore but I can tell you from the last time this discussion came up the sheriffs patrols answer more calls to grand island than anywhere else.

Oh and Ragin............ I will have that penny!
    Them are fighting words steven .. Did you conveniently loose that link?

You want my penny? fat chance

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information