Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
So what is your answer for WNY and NY?

We have to find a way to mobilize enough people to vote to overcome special interests and unions that "buy" politicians. That is not even considering the downstate dilemma.

Also I am quite perplexed as to how California (read liberal bastion) passed a budget closing a 26 billion debt in theory NOT RAISING TAXES?
What can that state teach NY?

your thoughts please
I talk about my answers for WNY and NY on my site every week. I'm not going to re-hash here everything I have come to stand for. But to nutshell it for you:

1. Abolition of Erie County Government. All we need is a clerk, a sheriff, a comptroller, and a professional county manager.

2. Unicameral, nonpartisan, part-time Albany legislature modeled after Nebraska's model. No party caucuses, $12,000/year in pay, short sessions, one house, any member can move a bill through the process, no "three men in a room" type scenario.

3. Transparency and accountability at all levels of government, with strict rules to enforce it.

4. Some modicum of autonomy for NYC with respect to certain programs such as Medicaid. If NYC wants the whole kit & caboodle, that's fine because it can pay for it. But NYC has to compete with other world-class cities. Places like WNY have to compete with less ritzy places like Cleveland, Toledo, Erie, etc. We should have the autonomy to do that effectively with lower taxes, fewer regulations.

5. 5 - 6% flat sales tax statewide. 0% tax on clothes up to $200.

6. Some form of public financing of elections to prevent unions, business, and other special interests from having undue influence over politicians.

7. Abolition of electoral fusion, which has become little more than a highest-bidder, pay-for-play den of unfairness and graft.