Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Alan's Ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Regarding the prison system. The number that is common is 70% of inmates come from the NYC metro region. The 2009/10 cost is 2.6B. 70% of that cost would be 1.8B. Or just over 37% of the $5B that downstate gives to the system.

Additional to this, most of the prisons are located in Upstate..much like most of the resources. So if a split were to happen, not only would downstate have a huge bill for housing inmates, they would have an even bigger bill to construct the facilities to house them. I wonder if they have room on the Upper East Size for a downstate version of Attica?

... and upstate would lose tens of thousands of jobs in places that have few if any other viable employers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    Your assumption is that everybody in upstate is anti-union, anti-tax, anti-public education, anti-government, etc. Guess again.

That is not my assumption at all.

First off, "Upstate" is not nearly as pro-union, pro-tax, pro-public education, pro-government, ect as people like you seem to think.

Secondly, as I said before, Upstate would not become Texas. It would keep the same mindset but would change NOT ELIMINATE a lot of rules so they make sense for the region.

NOBODY is talking about doing a 180. Something I also said before. But using some common sense and saying "hey maybe we should modify some some so it does not kill us is NOT a stretch.

Your selective reading/posting is comical Linda. Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    ... and upstate would lose tens of thousands of jobs in places that have few if any other viable employers ...

See this point right here is a perfect illustration of how you think. Why save BILLIONS when THOUSANDS of jobs are on the line. Good paying UNION jobs. Jobs that people have a RIGHT to work. Too funny.

These facilities could be converted to Federal Prisions, which are in need by the way, and simply shift those wages/pensions and costs to the Federal budget.

But as usual, you missed the point. The point was to illustrate what cards Upstate has in comparison to Downstate. People like you only speak of A SINGLE card in the downstate hand, which is taxes. Not only does the value of this card change, went from an ACE to a 9 of clubs recently, but it is JUST.A.SINGLE.CARD.

The point was if Upstate and Downstate were to part, Upstate has SEVERAL cards that many people feel would make a better hand in the end.

Nice try grandma. I think Matlock is on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information