Thread: Cheektowaga residents complain to Board about vacant Union Road plaza

Cheektowaga residents complain to Board about vacant Union Road plaza

Patience is wearing thin for some Cheektowaga residents who live near a vacant, run-down Union Road plaza. About 10 neighbors of Garden Village Plaza took their concerns Monday night to the Town Board, which pledged that plans to develop the parcel owned by Benderson Development Co. are in the works.

“I just met with Benderson last week and they are looking to develop that parcel,” said Town Supervisor Mary F. Holtz. “I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I’ve been working on this for so long.”

One neighbor described the plaza as blighted by potholes, broken windows, rats and loitering children.

“We saw that plaza go from a vibrant plaza to nothing,” Martinique Drive resident Nancy Grzymala told the board. “We know that retail won’t last there, but we want something so we won’t have to look at those deplorable conditions every single day.”

Benderson acquired the 26.7-acre plaza, formerly home to various stores including a Vix drugstore, a Hills department store and an Ames store, in 2006 for just over $2 million.

Holtz said Benderson has submitted preliminary plans to the town and hopes to begin construction in spring 2015. She promised to set up a meeting between residents and the developer within a month so those plans could be reviewed.

“I definitely want them to meet with you,” she told the residents. “They do have plans. I can’t speak of them right now.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...plaza-20140616
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Just wait till benderson wnts to put up a 5+ story building, then youll hear the real bitching
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Maybe Benderson will put up a forest for the benefit of the neighbors.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Maybe Benderson will put up a forest for the benefit of the neighbors.
    I believe that is really controlled by our planning and zoning board. Proper selection and saving of green space. Who controls the make up of a planning board?

developers
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Thread Information