Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: I need your advice on this 1970 Pontiac GTO

Gold Member
    Nice! I say don't stick completely to stock. Build the engine some But then again it's not my money, but if it were me I'd build it. I don't think you should go crazy with superchargers or air scoops or anything like that, but it's a muscle car, build accordingly

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Wow they got sound for the different cams so you know what your motor may sound like. They don't have the one for the pontiac up though

Recordings

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Are there any men here that know anything about....

Are there any men here that know anything about shift kits and transmissions?

The automatic transmission got dropped off to be rebuilt. They are going to put a shift kit in and replace worn parts....

Exactly what does a shift kit do?

The valves in the tranny. Is it a performance shift kit? If it is, it will shift harder and faster. Major job.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Are there any men here that know anything about shift kits and transmissions?

The automatic transmission got dropped off to be rebuilt. They are going to put a shift kit in and replace worn parts....

Exactly what does a shift kit do?
    it replaces parts that normally wear out. just like replacing gaskets oil filters and plugs on the engine, in some cases they are performance parts that were not available when the car was made that make it shift smoother. or they might change the speed the car shifts at, city driving kits shifts at lower speeds . high performance kits shifts at higher speeds depending on your driving style you can change the shift pattern with a kit. there are many different kits most just replace what was on the car with new parts
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    The valves in the tranny. Is it a performance shift kit? If it is, it will shift harder and faster. Major job.
    Yep a performance shift kit I was told along with a new torque converter.

I want to make sure what they are putting in are name brand type stuff. I got screwed once on this car and don't want to buy something that isn't good.

They also know I want it to be completely streetable and a driver. We ain't going drag racing with it.

terry young in orchard park restores many cars you might want to check with him for leads on where to go. his shop is right in the village.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

I know it's supposedly "wrong" thing to do, but to me it is the right thing to do. I would wait a year or more and beat the idiot into a coma.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Yep a performance shift kit I was told along with a new torque converter.

I want to make sure what they are putting in are name brand type stuff. I got screwed once on this car and don't want to buy something that isn't good.

They also know I want it to be completely streetable and a driver. We ain't going drag racing with it.
    Trannie is all finished and will be picked up. I'll have a complete itemized list of what was done and the parts used.

I believe the engine is starting to be disassembled this week. I'm gonna try to pop over and get pictures.

It will be the comp cam kit but I have to order rockers arms..

Here's a product list they make for the 1970 Pontiac 400

I want pro magnum rocker arms but they don't seem to make these for the Pontiac.

I found Cams Magnum Steel Roller Tip Rockers which are more like this but I would rather find a set with bearings at the mount point.

They have COMP Cams Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms but then you have to use different valve covers for them to fit it seems. I'd rather not do that.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by forestfirefighter
    I know it's supposedly "wrong" thing to do, but to me it is the right thing to do. I would wait a year or more and beat the idiot into a coma.
    That thought crossed my mind when I saw the car rolling off the flat bed and I realized it was mine. Talk about your pulse going up

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We were BS'ing tonite about the top. Have to find someone who would be good at stitching a new top for it. Also still tossed up on color combo for body/interior/top.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Wow This is like a TOY STORE!

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Transmission is rebuilt with shift kit installed

There we go. One freshly rebuilt Pontiac 400 Transmission. They cleaned the outside some but it needs to be done better. The guys Northeaster Transmission on Bailey did it were excellent. Was done a lot quicker than I thought it would take.

Even got a new Tork Converter to go along with it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Edelbrock 2156 pontiac manifold

Well I thought Monday was going to be a dull day but another part came in!

Performer Ppontiac manifold for 326-455 C.I.D. V8's from 1965 - 79

Pontiac GTO parts sales

www.amesperf.com

Carb

Well I thought Monday was going to be a dull day but another part came in!

Performer Ppontiac manifold for 326-455 C.I.D. V8's from 1965 - 79

Pontiac GTO parts sales

www.amesperf.com

What carb are you going to use?
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information