Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: I need your advice on this 1970 Pontiac GTO

Excellent

Those binders look sweet! Great investment.

Any reason why you didn't go with a numerically higher gear ratio on your rear end?
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by LaNdReW
    Those binders look sweet! Great investment.

Any reason why you didn't go with a numerically higher gear ratio on your rear end?
    Well I'm taking the advice of the guys doing the work and thats what they got.

Remember what Napa Auto Parts at 2399 Wehrle Dr, Williansville, 632-8000 built?

Rebuilt Pontiac 400 Engine

A little tork monster. That's why we got the posi.

A higher gear ratio will improve gas mileage but you lose acceleration. You also have a higher top speed with higher gear ratios. So with all that said they got 3.55's. That's about all I know I know the gears can be changed if needed.

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Well I'm taking the advice of the guys doing the work and thats what they got.

Remember what Napa Auto Parts at 2399 Wehrle Dr, Williansville, 632-8000 built?

A little tork monster. That's why we got the posi.

A higher gear ratio will improve gas mileage but you lose acceleration. You also have a higher top speed with higher gear ratios. So with all that said they got 3.55's. That's about all I know I know the gears can be changed if needed.
    Torque is where its at on the street. I had 3:73's in my built for torque small block, it was great. With a posi and sticky tires, holeshots were great... cruising on the expressway at 80mph and the engine was screaming! 3.55 to 7.73 to 4.11 at 60mph the rpms get higher from left to right. Ill defer to the experts.

BTW, Looks like you got alot of carb there.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Barry Grant 650..... has cool glass ports on the side to adjust the floats. One of the guys who knows the guy at napa who did the motor work picked it. He's worked with them before. That can be changed too if things don't run well Everything is adjustable... THere are all different brands of carbs.. I don't know what makes one better than another. This one just looks cool.

I'm not a car person... I'm being consulted by friends leaving most of my trust with the guy doing the body.... The frame looks so cool it's not even all assembled yet..

The guy who rebuilt the rear end along with Ken from areo picked the eaton posi/gear ratio out. I looked at summit racing and there are diffent brands of posi's. I don't know the difference do you? They worked with the eaton posi so that why they picked it.

I wouldn't have a clue to what a proper gear ratio would be anyways. I completely understand what the gearing does but have no idea what a car would drive like with 3 different rear gear ratios. I bet the car is gonna be quick wether there was 2.73 or 3.28 or 3.55 or 4.11.. know what i mean? If it completely sucks on gas or is a beast at 70 miles per hour we'll just numerically lower the ratio. I think the eaton posi stated 3.28 is the lowest they recommend.

We almost ordered the exhaust but an hour later they changed thier mind. THey are seeing what the proper magnaflow/headers would be versus a kit from a company called pypes with doug headers... Once again I don't really know the difference in brands... Ken does want ceramic coated headers. Everyone so far said ceramic coated is the way to go.

We could just use the stock exhaust headers that were on the engine but why Gone this far might as well get something cool..

Unregistered
    Are you planning on drag racing, showing (ie: car shows), or using it for pleasure cruising?

Unregistered
    Here's a website that may help you decide on the gears:

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/...ios/index.html

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    Are you planning on drag racing, showing (ie: car shows), or using it for pleasure cruising?
    Just a driver. Not really drag racing... I live about 5 minutes from the office so gas mileage isn't a top issue. I have a toyota XB Scion that gets awesome miles per gallon.

got wood....nice....

Ahh I can hear it now, that high pitch whine to the rear, of a set of 4:11 gears cruising down Sheridan then power down shifting and blowing off that POS next to you that has no idea what you have under the hood. Sorry flash back to the 70's.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner69
    Ahh I can hear it now, that high pitch whine to the rear, of a set of 4:11 gears cruising down Sheridan then power down shifting and blowing off that POS next to you that has no idea what you have under the hood. Sorry flash back to the 70's.
    So you think the new remade GTO's are quicker than the orginal ones? I never drove one of the new GTO's pontiac's have.

I was talking about cruising Sheridan in the 70's, but as far as the new GTO's go a friend of mine down here in Florida had one that put 575 hp to the rear wheels and it flew. The ride is much more comfortable and the car handles like a bear. He won the dyno challenge at Bradenton at a big GTO weekend they had up there a year or so ago. He has since sold the car, is was bright red with black int. and dark tint windows one bad looking ride.

I'm obviously in the wrong business, and I'm jealous as hell, cause I can't afford to spend money on toys like this.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    So you think the new remade GTO's are quicker than the orginal ones? I never drove one of the new GTO's pontiac's have.
    No Doubt they are... 400hp, real suspension, real brakes..BUT

They just aren't as cool!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Does anyone actually remember what we started out with?

1970 pontiac GTO

1970 pontiac GTO

The after pictures are way better ....

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by LaNdReW
    No Doubt they are... 400hp, real suspension, real brakes..BUT

They just aren't as cool!
    Quickness is not all about horse power though.

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information