Thread: MetTel - Metropolitan Telecommunications

Tony Fracasso - Admin

MetTel - Metropolitan Telecommunications

So what recourse does one have when phone company provider sells you a false bill of goods.

MetTel - Metropolitan Telecommunications
    PO Box 1056
    New York, NY 10268

We were using One Communications as our last provider which we were happy with but 17% adds up. It helps offset the constant property tax increases and fees NYS imposes on us by force.

MetTel came into our office and showed us how they are going to save us on our phone service costs. Their final savings were going to be at least 17%. It started at 37% but when we made sure we matched up the same service to service their final paper work shows a savings of 17%.

They compared their cost directly to One Communications.

Now that we are using them for a few months the bills are either the same or higher than what we were paying.

We called and sent all the paper work over but the cost is the cost. We requested to leave their service seeing we were sold a false bill of goods but to get out of the 24 month contract they said it would cost $3000 dollars.

Is this common business practice of companies?

Is this the way to conduct business?

Shouldn't businesses stick behind what they say? Or do people believe once you get the signature it makes no difference to what was said before hand?

Sue them for false advertising and/or deceptive acts and practices under the NYS General Business Law, wboth of which allow the judge to award atorney's fees if you win.

Or file a complaint with the Attorney General. Dennis Rosen was the lead assistant AG in Buffalo who handles consumer complaints. I think he is still with the AG's office.

And be sure to file a complaint with the BBB - if they don't at least answer the complaint they get an F rating

Thumbs up

Do you have written contract that show that you will save (make sure you read the small print).
    Does it say, "prices are subject to change"?

Did you contact an attorney for a contract review before you signed the contract?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I really believe we were sold a bill of goods.

I'm going to scan in what we were given as "saving" comparisons so everyone can see.

I think you need to do an analysis of why the anticipated savings aren't there. Are the rate(s) promised not the rate(s) being used to calculate your bills? If so, is there an explanation? Is there some usage threshhold that kicks in a lower rate that you haven't hit yet? If so, was that threshhold ignored by the salesperson? Did the salesperson not include various federal, state, and local taxes when "calculating" your savings? I think that if you have answers to questions like this -- the "why"s of the disparity between what you were promised and what you've got -- then you'll be able to judge what to do next.

Certainly, I think contacting the state AG and the BBB as nogods suggested are good moves. If there are enough complaints and the SAG can find evidence of deception, then they will go after this outfit -- and the chances are that you'll either be able to leave without penalty or, if it takes a while to get a settlement, get a refund.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They took our old bills to compare and made a savings chart. We are basically saving nothing at all and spending more. They don't want to hear it

Thumbs up Lessons Learned

Broken promises? What lessons have you learned? Share, please.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    No lesson learned in this case. They just cost more and didn't deliver what they said they would.

Thumbs up

Did they say it or write it?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Wrote it.. i'll scan in what they gave us tomorrow

Thumbs up

... tomorrow....you've said it before.

Remember popular, "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow!"? I was taking ESL for adults classes, but remember the election campaign slang.

In the business I had owned I

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Sue them for false advertising and/or deceptive acts and practices under the NYS General Business Law, wboth of which allow the judge to award atorney's fees if you win.

Or file a complaint with the Attorney General. Dennis Rosen was the lead assistant AG in Buffalo who handles consumer complaints. I think he is still with the AG's office.

And be sure to file a complaint with the BBB - if they don't at least answer the complaint they get an F rating
    had the same situation but with Verizon. Back then it was relatively a new service. They literally raped my company. I then called the BBB, and the Attorney General. The AG has what's called a consumer hotline. Both worked great, got the job done. I ended up with Choice One for businesses with multiple lines. Was very reasonable.

Thread Information