Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School districts

School districts

Just curious. I know what the news paper and statistics say about all the school districts. I'm just curious what actual parents have to say about them.

1) how is district with providing special ed services?

2) how are they with handling discipline?

I've heard clarence and springville are the best for special ed services is that true?
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Private vs Public School systems

Domestic, what are your thoughts on Cathlic Schools? Is the education better? Due to smaller classroom sizes, that is a huge factor, your thoughts?

What about Charter Schools?

Catholic schools don't nessacarily have smaller classes. My friend's daughter's class has 30 children and only one 1 st grade in the school. However, the school has been proactive about seeing the students that need extra help get it and the services like reading and math are provided by the school district. But they don't have the resources for a student with significant needs.

From what I am told it depends on the charter school and what the needs of the students are. I would love to see a charter school pop up that uses a waldorf method of education and has a focus on various special needs and behavioral issues. Have the teacher to student ratio be about 6:1:1 or up to 12:1:1 maybe and the teacher stays with the same class from K to atleast 4th grade but I think 8th grade is Ideal. I also think the classes should be integrated special ed and general ed.

I have found out for children with behavioral, social and learning disabilities their are private schools paid for by the school districts if the district can't compensate for what the student needs but the agency can. Like the summit school for children with autism, although buffalo now has a program for those children but I think that buffalo only deals with high functioning autistic students, not sure. folk, gateway and baker is for kids with behavioral needs. Then there is a private school called Gow, but the district won't pay for that parents do and it's expensive, they deal with dyslexia and i think maybe adhd. Gow is a boarding school.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    Catholic schools don't nessacarily have smaller classes. My friend's daughter's class has 30 children and only one 1 st grade in the school. However, the school has been proactive about seeing the students that need extra help get it and the services like reading and math are provided by the school district. But they don't have the resources for a student with significant needs.

From what I am told it depends on the charter school and what the needs of the students are. I would love to see a charter school pop up that uses a waldorf method of education and has a focus on various special needs and behavioral issues. Have the teacher to student ratio be about 6:1:1 or up to 12:1:1 maybe and the teacher stays with the same class from K to atleast 4th grade but I think 8th grade is Ideal. I also think the classes should be integrated special ed and general ed.

I have found out for children with behavioral, social and learning disabilities their are private schools paid for by the school districts if the district can't compensate for what the student needs but the agency can. Like the summit school for children with autism, although buffalo now has a program for those children but I think that buffalo only deals with high functioning autistic students, not sure. folk, gateway and baker is for kids with behavioral needs. Then there is a private school called Gow, but the district won't pay for that parents do and it's expensive, they deal with dyslexia and i think maybe adhd. Gow is a boarding school.

Love the Waldorf learning model. I actually saw a Waldorf school in Maine many years ago. I go so excited I couldn't stand myself. Having taught Montessori years back, I love this approach because young children need hands on learning in a self directed environment.

I am not familiar with the Gow private facility. Where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Love the Waldorf learning model. I actually saw a Waldorf school in Maine many years ago. I go so excited I couldn't stand myself. Having taught Montessori years back, I love this approach because young children need hands on learning in a self directed environment.

I am not familiar with the Gow private facility. Where is that?
    http://www.gow.org/?source=StudyUSA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gow_School

no school is perfect

all schools have drugs

every single school has ****ty teachers

most teachers turn their heads on bulling / any distrecit
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    no school is perfect

all schools have drugs

every single school has ****ty teachers

most teachers turn their heads on bulling / any distrecit
    You know what concerns me since the age of technology, bulling has gotten quite sadistic almost and is on the rampage. What should be done, does anyone have any ideas?

Every school has good and bad teachers like every business has good and bad employees. The changes should really come into play by eliminating tenure. Teachers need the same aggressive oversight they get prior to tenure as during and after. Once a teacher gets their tenure, observation is minimal and tenure protects bad teachers.

Just curious. I know what the news paper and statistics say about all the school districts. I'm just curious what actual parents have to say about them.

1) how is district with providing special ed services?

2) how are they with handling discipline?

I've heard clarence and springville are the best for special ed services is that true?
    I've heard the same thing about Clarence. But be careful: special ed has changed everywhere because of state aid problems.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001 View Post
    I've heard the same thing about Clarence. But be careful: special ed has changed everywhere because of state aid problems.
    ever heard of a special ed attorney? these kids have HUGE rights
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

That's true, and there are a lot of regulations to protect these kids. I just have some vague recollections about districts changing some things...

And believe me more often than not the attorneys and advocates are needed even when the child already has a bip and iep. You need the attorneys to get the school to follow the plans and not take away services.

CAugust, I'm a bit clueless with this statement, why does special ed need attorney's in reference to kids having huge rights??? Please explain....

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    CAugust, I'm a bit clueless with this statement, why does special ed need attorney's in reference to kids having huge rights??? Please explain....
    http://www.wrightslaw.com/

This site explains many of the special education rights children have. Basically a child by law is suppose to get a free appropriate education that educates them according to their needs. So if a child needs to speech in order to communicate with their teacher then the district is suppose to provide it.

Sometimes school districts won't provide services that a child may need or deny people services that there child needs. That is when you need an attorney or advocate.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/

This site explains many of the special education rights children have. Basically a child by law is suppose to get a free appropriate education that educates them according to their needs. So if a child needs to speech in order to communicate with their teacher then the district is suppose to provide it.

Sometimes school districts won't provide services that a child may need or deny people services that there child needs. That is when you need an attorney or advocate.
    Oh, now using the right word "advocate." That is a word I can relate to, and now understand and do agree with this. Once alternative learning facilities closed down due to lack of funding, they mainstreamed these "exceptional children" into regular schools. Inclusion programs became difficult due to lack of special ed facilitators. Now that educators need to be duo-certified most have some form of special ed training. With that comes harder assessement and children fall through the cracks. They need to qualify in two areas to receive services provided through the committee for special ed. Tough, I know a child who is borderline and does not qualify. This is where an "advocate" comes into play where the child that is borderline ~~the advocate will beable to detemine whether the child would benefit by receiving services.

Unfortunately with the economy, more services and educators will be cut from the program due to lack of funding.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information