Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: School districts

You must be part of the parish then?
    Absolutely 100% NOT. If there is a more unproductive way to spend a Sunday morning, I haven't found it yet. It bores the living hell out of me, and I'm an atheist. Common decency suggests you shouldn't frequent places you don't belong.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    This is a nice feature of the private system that is generally encouraged. I pull my kids out of school on days that a state test is given. We may do something fun such as a monster truck rally to expose them to non-elitist ideals, fix something around the house to determine their worth if I need to sell them into slavery, or build a database and website to sharpen critical thinking skills. It's amazing how quickly a child under the age of ten can transform object oriented and relational concepts into real-life skills. Of course none of that is actually taught in school, which is why it's important to provide non-mandated state educational activities.
    I disagree with this statement, a lot of the real life skills are taught in the Technology Education classrooms, they are not just compuers and not just wood shop. They are a blend or both (in most schools) and often have learning clubs after school for more learning. This is mandated in Middle School and optional in HS.

Nickel, different interpretations. Geo also good insights. Everyone has a very personal relationship with education and their children. Always based on personal experiences.

I'm not sure Nick why you pull your children out on days when state testing is in progress. Would like to know further on that.

We all have different views on testing, I for one do not like them and feel it is a waste of time. Only thing good about them is to develop memory skills. Other than that, I am with the mindset of hands on learning.

Private institutes offer different goals. I believe worship in the mornings is ridiculous. Once a week perhaps but Catholic schools are ritualistic.

I disagree with this statement, a lot of the real life skills are taught in the Technology Education classrooms, they are not just compuers and not just wood shop. They are a blend or both (in most schools) and often have learning clubs after school for more learning. This is mandated in Middle School and optional in HS.
    Fair enough. I'm dealing with a first and fourth grader and the technology instruction is too dumbed-down to be useful. Thus, I need to teach it myself. My son can do basic Java programming and is working on some of the more advanced concepts now.

I'm not sure Nick why you pull your children out on days when state testing is in progress. Would like to know further on that.
    That's a simple one shortstuff: it's none of the state's GD business. Plus, as you mentioned, it's a huge waste of time.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Oh, that makes sense. I do believe districts have different levels of expectations regarding technology. Some are far advanced than other school districts.

Hey you have the rights to decide what is important to your child/family. So you believe techno is important to your family? I personally, can't stand the days of this advanced techno age. I miss the days of rotary phones and pay phones. I miss the days of an electric typerwriter, carbon paper, shorthand, dictaphones, calculators and abacus (frame w/ beads for counting arithematic).

Where kids learn by doing division the long way.

NickelCity, I've been doing some research and I'm interested in sending my kids to private school. Your school sounds reasonably priced with very little religious commitment, do you mind if you could post or PM me where they go?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    NickelCity, I've been doing some research and I'm interested in sending my kids to private school. Your school sounds reasonably priced with very little religious commitment, do you mind if you could post or PM me where they go?

Thanks
    Do you happen to know what waldorf cost? Their website makes it seem that they base tuition cost on income. Have you looked into the cost of waldorf?

I looked into their preschool, which is a parent child thing and it wasn't unreasonable.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    Do you happen to know what waldorf cost? Their website makes it seem that they base tuition cost on income. Have you looked into the cost of waldorf?

I looked into their preschool, which is a parent child thing and it wasn't unreasonable.
    I love Waldorf's learning philosophy!!!! Excellent choice.

If you are in the Niagara Co. region, check into DeSalles. Great private institute. Also in Erie Co. check into St. Leo's or St. Christophers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information