Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School districts

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I'm going on personal experience with over 50 home schooled children of various backgrounds. I suppose I could have done a statistical analysis with some, as only 30 are needed, but to what end? To show what I already know?
    With all due respect to you as an educator, statistics have nothing to do with the efficacy of homeschooling.
    I get that you're a person educated to educate, but that doesn't mean that you are exclusively qualified for the job. You are better qualified, but you lack what mom has; a great love for her child. For what mom lacks, there are plenty of resources and home school groups to provide for the child.
    My whole point was that home schooling is a very real and viable option for parents that are concerned for, and want to take an active part in, their child's education.
    The point of my rebuttal is that it is more of a myth, than proven fact, that children who are home schooled "lack social skills, structure, peer interaction, diversity in activities and exposure."
    However, if you want statistics, see below. You won't find social skills measured here.:
    http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp
    http://home-school.lovetoknow.com/St..._United_States
    http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2006/homeschool/
    With that said, I know plenty of people, adults and children, who went to public, private, and parochial schools who have no social skills what so ever.
    I never knew that going to a theater was an outdoor event. Even if it were, what is so wrong with learning from and with family?
    Wow, you just lost me there. You know nothing about me. I am a parent who has been involved on both levels. If you read my post, I stated ~~"in my opinion only"~~I did not force my opinion onto others.

Hey, if you prefer home schooling, go for it~~~I personally do not.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Wow, you just lost me there. You know nothing about me. I am a parent who has been involved on both levels. If you read my post, I stated ~~"in my opinion only"~~I did not force my opinion onto others.

Hey, if you prefer home schooling, go for it~~~I personally do not.
    I never said I prefer home schooling. I just said it was a viable option and the defended my stance.
    I didn't mean to lose you I just meant to clarify.
    You're right, I don't know you. When I read
    I know....but more admin and less students.....hmmm

Good thing about Lancaster, I am impressed~~really. I am from a family of educators, and the inside look is always different that what the public's perception is on things.
    a while back, I for some reason thought you were a teacher. Please accept my apologies.
    FTR ... I'm for whatever mode of education that suits the child. I have a soft spot for home schooling. Probably because it's an underdog alternative. It's dogged with all kinds of myths that home schooled kids are disadvantaged. I know a lot of home school educators and students. One such student has a full scholarship to UB and is maintaining a 4.0 GPA. This person is well liked and is socially appropriate. This person is indicative of the whole rather than the unsocialized outlier as purported by those with ought against home schooling.
    I'm sure there are parents that don't do a stellar job at homeschooling, but as discussed in previous threads, there are teachers getting paid to do not such a stellar job as well. Mediocrity transcends all modes of education.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I never said I prefer home schooling. I just said it was a viable option and the defended my stance.
    I didn't mean to lose you I just meant to clarify.
    You're right, I don't know you. When I read

a while back, I for some reason thought you were a teacher. Please accept my apologies.
    FTR ... I'm for whatever mode of education that suits the child. I have a soft spot for home schooling. Probably because it's an underdog alternative. It's dogged with all kinds of myths that home schooled kids are disadvantaged. I know a lot of home school educators and students. One such student has a full scholarship to UB and is maintaining a 4.0 GPA. This person is well liked and is socially appropriate. This person is indicative of the whole rather than the unsocialized outlier as purported by those with ought against home schooling.
    I'm sure there are parents that don't do a stellar job at homeschooling, but as discussed in previous threads, there are teachers getting paid to do not such a stellar job as well. Mediocrity transcends all modes of education.
    Apology accepted, however your posts are more aggressive than others and you sound on these posts as if you are the only opinion that should be considered.

It is individual perceptions...not in the mood to explain that. If you were following anything I have posted in the past, you would have perceived that I do not condone mediorcrity whether it be education, or any other profession.

Quite frankly, I am glad you have experienced a story that you can share. As I can share stories that are contrary.

Apology accepted, however your posts are more aggressive than others and you sound on these posts as if you are the only opinion that should be considered.

Eh ... I have a strong personality. For that, I will not apologize.
    To know me is to love me ... or not. It doesn't matter to me.
    And, why wouldn't I post as if my opinion should be considered? Isn't that why we post?

As far as content is concerned I am sure home schooling can be on par with public and private education. There are a few factors to consider.

1) The attention to the individual is far greater in home schooling than in society at large.

2) Learning to listen to arbitrary rules and authority figures is something that happens to a smaller extent.

3) Do kids really learn how to address and or cope with failure?

For what it is worth anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    As far as content is concerned I am sure home schooling can be on par with public and private education. There are a few factors to consider.

1) The attention to the individual is far greater in home schooling than in society at large.

2) Learning to listen to arbitrary rules and authority figures is something that happens to a smaller extent.

I think all those things depend on the parents. Also from what I understand, homeschool groups give the children opprotunity to learn how to function in a large group.

And as for learning to follow rules, I think that is better learned through sports than school. A kid can learn way more discipline from a good sensa (I am not sure how to spell this word at all) in martial arts then most teachers could teach.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

To add to your few points, I love reading what others think. Another person's full perspective is always nice. We may be myoptic when we are only thinking about ourselves and the experiences we have encountered.

But to add to your thoughts:
    1. You are right about this one. In a small group, children do better, they are less distracted and are inclined to focus more and stay on task.

2. This also is true, but depending on the rules~~children model behavior. If it is a learned behavior~~more than one or two children in the group/same age is beneficial. Rules are set by the facilitator.

3. I believe children need children to cope. They encounter certain situations as a group or in a small group that will allow/enable them to work through it and learn through that situation. Children who are homeschooled and are the only child learning from home miss out on allot.

There are benefits, however as there are con's to homeschooling.

Sure, the question is always do the benefits outweigh the detriments?

I'm a product of public schooling, and I feel I got a mediocre education. My parents are the ones who sat down with me when I struggled academically and provided the real education, but how much is the educational institution designed to give a single student anyhow? In theory if one follows the guidelines for homeschooling, they just follow NYS curriculum at home. Well what is the point of that??

I tossed the idea around a bit of homeschooling with my wife, and here's what we decided. As long as school wasn't damaging our children, then we could supplement their education. Same goes with private school. Parents who spend $15K to send their kid to a fancy private school each year. With three kids * 15K = 45K every year. Seems like I could buy a lot of piano lessons, or tennis lessons, etc. My point being that I could spend the money more judiciously and supplement their education more effectively than sending them to private school.

I'm a product of public schooling, and I feel I got a mediocre education. My parents are the ones who sat down with me when I struggled academically and provided the real education, but how much is the educational institution designed to give a single student anyhow? In theory if one follows the guidelines for homeschooling, they just follow NYS curriculum at home. Well what is the point of that??

I tossed the idea around a bit of homeschooling with my wife, and here's what we decided. As long as school wasn't damaging our children, then we could supplement their education. Same goes with private school. Parents who spend $15K to send their kid to a fancy private school each year. With three kids * 15K = 45K every year. Seems like I could buy a lot of piano lessons, or tennis lessons, etc. My point being that I could spend the money more judiciously and supplement their education more effectively than sending them to private school.

I sort of agree with you on private school. Although on the elementary level for catholic school it can run as low as 2 k.

I went to catholic school and I am not better educated than my public educated conterparts. My best friend went to waterfront and hutch, her high school work was tougher than what I had at mt. mercy in some subjects.

I know I wouldn't have done well in public school though. Public school wasn't
    structered enough for me and I probably would have dropped out or just never went to class. Most of the teachers in school around exam time had study groups going and the students that struggled could always count on teachers to help. There are benefits to catholic school, but there are downfalls too. Like the constant preaching is a bit much, having 5 year olds color pictures of jesus and using hell to get children to behave is only a short term fix to get them behave. Also you have to deal with a lot of self righteous religious douchebags, I would say most involved with catholic schools are not douchebags, but the ones that are douchebags it's very overpowering. Also they waste a lot of time at catholic schools on bs like going to mass every morning, or going to spend 3 hours a week learning the religious songs.

Memories of catholic school from 4- 8.. the whole school had to goto the church and sing religious songs once or twice a week, we'd spend an hour singing the same efing song over and over again. But i did love the may crownings.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

I like your stance on supplemental education. I believe a parent who cares about their child's education usually helps with their children's homework and any other difficulty they may experience. School can only provide so much, with the condensed classroom sizes, the limited resources and the other issues they have to deal with in regards to the social, economic & physical areas. The contents of the day is not all inclusive.

Private facilities may offer things that will meet that particular parents needs such as discipline, structure, etc....I think you are doing the right thing for your families needs.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    I sort of agree with you on private school. Although on the elementary level for catholic school it can run as low as 2 k.

I went to catholic school and I am not better educated than my public educated conterparts. My best friend went to waterfront and hutch, her high school work was tougher than what I had at mt. mercy in some subjects.

I know I wouldn't have done well in public school though. Public school wasn't
    structered enough for me and I probably would have dropped out or just never went to class. Most of the teachers in school around exam time had study groups going and the students that struggled could always count on teachers to help. There are benefits to catholic school, but there are downfalls too. Like the constant preaching is a bit much, having 5 year olds color pictures of jesus and using hell to get children to behave is only a short term fix to get them behave. Also you have to deal with a lot of self righteous religious douchebags, I would say most involved with catholic schools are not douchebags, but the ones that are douchebags it's very overpowering. Also they waste a lot of time at catholic schools on bs like going to mass every morning, or going to spend 3 hours a week learning the religious songs.
    Memories of catholic school from 4- 8.. the whole school had to goto the church and sing religious songs once or twice a week, we'd spend an hour singing the same efing song over and over again. But i did love the may crownings.

Douchebag? Wow have not heard that "slang" in many many years, I can't believe you are using that to describe anything.....let alone education or people in general....

Douchebag? Wow have not heard that "slang" in many many years, I can't believe you are using that to describe anything.....let alone education or people in general....
    Like I said, most aren't, but the ones that are are overpowering.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    Like I said, most aren't, but the ones that are are overpowering.
    Thank you for paraphrasing from "douchebag to overpowering."

Although on the elementary level for catholic school it can run as low as 2 k.
    It can run lower than that for a top 25 WNY private school. I pay $2500 per year for two kids (thru 8th grade).

I probably would have dropped out or just never went to class
    I stopped going to class halfway through my junior year after getting accepted to Canisius College. I'd show up for tests, but just enough to maintain a passing grade and eligibility during football season. Since then the school has enacted new rules requiring a student to be subjected to their non-education for 160 of 180 days in order to graduate. I missed 78 full days and 93 partial days in my senior year. Dropping out will make you smarter.

There are benefits to catholic school, but there are downfalls too. Like the constant preaching is a bit much, having 5 year olds color pictures of jesus and using hell to get children to behave is only a short term fix to get them behave.
    Doesn't happen at my kids school. Nice generalization.

Also they waste a lot of time at catholic schools on bs like going to mass every morning, or going to spend 3 hours a week learning the religious songs.
    An hour a week of religious education is what my kids endure. 10% of their report card covers "religious studies". A student could opt-out and still make the honor role.

Private facilities may offer things that will meet that particular parents needs such as discipline, structure, etc...
    Agree, but not in the same sense. Disciple and structure were well taken care of prior to entry into school. The great difference is the day-to-day emphasis on respecting others, manners, and the encouragement of individualism.

...supplemental education.
    This is a nice feature of the private system that is generally encouraged. I pull my kids out of school on days that a state test is given. We may do something fun such as a monster truck rally to expose them to non-elitist ideals, fix something around the house to determine their worth if I need to sell them into slavery, or build a database and website to sharpen critical thinking skills. It's amazing how quickly a child under the age of ten can transform object oriented and relational concepts into real-life skills. Of course none of that is actually taught in school, which is why it's important to provide non-mandated state educational activities.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    It can run lower than that for a top 25 WNY private school. I pay $2500 per year for two kids (thru 8th grade).
    You must be part of the parish then?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information