Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School districts

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post

Unfortunately with the economy, more services and educators will be cut from the program due to lack of funding.
    means NOTHING

IF you are smart enough to get a GOOD educational attorney, then its a no brainer.

THEY are required to provide a child the education they deserve.

If you can prove that they belong at another school (even outside of the district) that can provide the services the child needs and has right to) they HAVE To pay the tuition to that school. It has nothing to do with cuts, they would have to cut a class or language or activity to afford it - this comes first
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    means NOTHING

IF you are smart enough to get a GOOD educational attorney, then its a no brainer.

THEY are required to provide a child the education they deserve.

If you can prove that they belong at another school (even outside of the district) that can provide the services the child needs and has right to) they HAVE To pay the tuition to that school. It has nothing to do with cuts, they would have to cut a class or language or activity to afford it - this comes first
    August, this sounds like something you are familiar with. Does this reflect an experience of some kind?

Children need the parent as the first string overseer of the child. They are the best advocate. Reasonably, there are exceptions to the rule. The school system only listens to the loudest voice. Using that voice can prevent an attorney who takes the families money needlessly. Of course there are extreme situations but for the most part, the parent is the primary advocate.

August, this sounds like something you are familiar with. Does this reflect an experience of some kind?

Children need the parent as the first string overseer of the child. They are the best advocate. Reasonably, there are exceptions to the rule. The school system only listens to the loudest voice. Using that voice can prevent an attorney who takes the families money needlessly. Of course there are extreme situations but for the most part, the parent is the primary advocate.
    i am extremely familiar with this.

Parents are NOT educated normally to what an iep students rights are.

Can they research it? sure .. you got an extra 10 hours a day to read and research etc ..

I have gotten everything I have asked for in most cases
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    i am extremely familiar with this.

Parents are NOT educated normally to what an iep students rights are.

Can they research it? sure .. you got an extra 10 hours a day to read and research etc ..

I have gotten everything I have asked for in most cases
    It sounds like you were the perfect advocate then. You used your voice for being a concerned parent. In which I respect alot. Keep speaking for our children and especially for yours.

Good Luck..

The services has to be something the district doesn't offer. usually they won't send them somewhere else then.

All new teachers take classes in special ed/special ed training.

There is a new iniative in NYS called RTI. (right to intervention) NYS answer to elminating so many special ed students or prolonging the process.. Don't get me wrong it has some good and some bad.

Also they made it harder to receive services in NYS for things like AIS, that happened in the past week. This is due to the new testing changes. More children are now able to receive services, so NYS now changed that so they are not able to receive services.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_wny View Post
    The services has to be something the district doesn't offer. usually they won't send them somewhere else then.

There is a new iniative in NYS called RTI. (right to intervention) NYS answer to elminating so many special ed students or prolonging the process.. Don't get me wrong it has some good and some bad.

Also they made it harder to receive services in NYS for things like AIS, that happened in the past week. This is due to the new testing changes. More children are now able to receive services, so NYS now changed that so they are not able to receive services.
    Interesting, I was not aware of this NYS initiative~~RTI. It is imperative that teachers have that certification because they at times need to intervene. Administration although there are more of them, are now not willing to take on the continued responsibility of addressing these issues. Instead they are requiring this ( I am assuming..) yet they expect the teachers to fix the problem as well as intervention.

I feel, wholeheartedly, that alternative education should resume. Many reasons that were stated. When you have inclusion programs where education is modified according to the demographics of the behaviors, the students that want to learn are subsequently left behind now rather than the other way around.

I feel, wholeheartedly, that alternative education should resume. Many reasons that were stated. When you have inclusion programs where education is modified according to the demographics of the behaviors, the students that want to learn are subsequently left behind now rather than the other way around.
    I couldn't agree more, except for the thinking kids with bad behaviors don't want to learn. That isn't always the case, especially with the younger children. I am talking about under 8. That's another reason you have to be careful with all inclusive programs, all inclusive is just Mcdonaldized education if you ask me. They say it's to help the kids fit in, but what's worse, for the kid to be the bad kid in the normal kids class or for the kid to be normal in the class with kids with other behaviors similar to them.

You have to be careful how behavioral problems are handled. For example, an over affectionate and immature 5 year old could be considered a behavior problem, then the kids in the class think the kid is weird because he/she is trying to hugg the teacher and other kids. Eventually affection can turn to to aggression. It happens more than you would believe. I just read an article about it like a month ago, i wonder if I can find it.

I think when the kids are younger they need to seperate the kids more and try all inclusive as they get older.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by geo_wny View Post

Funny you should mention this. I recently heard that schools aren't required to give help for dyslexia and Dyscalculia. Is that true?
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    I couldn't agree more, except for the thinking kids with bad behaviors don't want to learn. That isn't always the case, especially with the younger children. I am talking about under 8. That's another reason you have to be careful with all inclusive programs, all inclusive is just Mcdonaldized education if you ask me. They say it's to help the kids fit in, but what's worse, for the kid to be the bad kid in the normal kids class or for the kid to be normal in the class with kids with other behaviors similar to them.

You have to be careful how behavioral problems are handled. For example, an over affectionate and immature 5 year old could be considered a behavior problem, then the kids in the class think the kid is weird because he/she is trying to hugg the teacher and other kids. Eventually affection can turn to to aggression. It happens more than you would believe. I just read an article about it like a month ago, i wonder if I can find it.

I think when the kids are younger they need to seperate the kids more and try all inclusive as they get older.

Well, intervention should begin at a preschool level. That is my belief, however you are right about behaviorial adjustments that don't fall into the "norm." I'm not sure if I can concur on your statement that children who are in elementary who show affection are considered behaviorial and classified by their "peers" as weird. I think in our society today, affection is off limits and educators are afraid of what that "affection" may be perceived. Therefore, they put the onus on the parents to "stop" their child because educators are apprehensive about touchy feely stuff.

There's always home-schooling if you're so inclined. Who would know the child best but the parent? There are a lot of really good resources and curriculum out there to home-school with.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    There's always home-schooling if you're so inclined. Who would know the child best but the parent? There are a lot of really good resources and curriculum out there to home-school with.
    Well, I'm not a real fan of "home education", because the child tends to lack social skills, structure, peer interaction, diversity in activites and exposure.

I still believe the educator should have an "education degree" when facilitating learning. I have seen family members home school without any degree. Although there are resources to do home schooling, I think it is not enough to bring well rounded educational experiences to the child. This is my opinion only.

Well, intervention should begin at a preschool level. That is my belief, however you are right about behaviorial adjustments that don't fall into the "norm." I'm not sure if I can concur on your statement that children who are in elementary who show affection are considered behaviorial and classified by their "peers" as weird. I think in our society today, affection is off limits and educators are afraid of what that "affection" may be perceived. Therefore, they put the onus on the parents to "stop" their child because educators are apprehensive about touchy feely stuff.
    There has actually been children suspended for kissing peers. I am not sure about around here, but in other places.

I agree that teaching children physical boundaries are important but it should be handled appropriatley. I think the best way to handle it is rather than treating it like a discipline problem and sending the kid to the principals office over it, tell the child you can kiss your family but you can't kiss your friends, etc.

Well, I'm not a real fan of "home education", because the child tends to lack social skills, structure, peer interaction, diversity in activites and exposure.
    I hear that a lot and have yet to actually see it. I've know a lot of home schooled kids, from a variety of backgrounds i.e. secular and religious - not necessarily Christian, and have yet to see any one home schooled child behave socially inappropriate and/or with an inability to interact with others. I actually found the opposite to be true. A trip to the theater, philharmonic and museum visits all count as part of homeschooling. Most parents take full advantage of this. There's math, English and history as well as music appreciation in a trip to the BPO alone. With this said I would venture to say that home schooled children are exposed to more activities than the average public school educated child.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    There has actually been children suspended for kissing peers. I am not sure about around here, but in other places.

I agree that teaching children physical boundaries are important but it should be handled appropriatley. I think the best way to handle it is rather than treating it like a discipline problem and sending the kid to the principals office over it, tell the child you can kiss your family but you can't kiss your friends, etc.
    Well that is truly something when children are suspended for kissing. Personal space is actually learned at a preschool level. Continued boundry descrepancies as they enter into elementary school might elude to other area's of concern.

My point in why educator's are duel certified is because principle's know longer want to deal with the inappropriate child. They want the facilitator's to handle the situation.

As for home schooling, mesue all situations have it's pro's and con's. You really have to statistically know what is beneficial and works as opposed to what doesn't. I do not know the statistics on what you are proclaiming but I feel that {personally} I don't think home schooling is as beneficial as education in a facility with their peers.

What you talk about regarding outdoor activities encompasses as a "family" unit, not a classroom unit ~~ there is a major difference.

As for home schooling, mesue all situations have it's pro's and con's. You really have to statistically know what is beneficial and works as opposed to what doesn't. I do not know the statistics on what you are proclaiming but I feel that {personally} I don't think home schooling is as beneficial as education in a facility with their peers.

What you talk about regarding outdoor activities encompasses as a "family" unit, not a classroom unit ~~ there is a major difference.
    I'm going on personal experience with over 50 home schooled children of various backgrounds. I suppose I could have done a statistical analysis with some, as only 30 are needed, but to what end? To show what I already know?
    With all due respect to you as an educator, statistics have nothing to do with the efficacy of homeschooling.
    I get that you're a person educated to educate, but that doesn't mean that you are exclusively qualified for the job. You are better qualified, but you lack what mom has; a great love for her child. For what mom lacks, there are plenty of resources and home school groups to provide for the child.
    My whole point was that home schooling is a very real and viable option for parents that are concerned for, and want to take an active part in, their child's education.
    The point of my rebuttal is that it is more of a myth, than proven fact, that children who are home schooled "lack social skills, structure, peer interaction, diversity in activities and exposure."
    However, if you want statistics, see below. You won't find social skills measured here.:
    http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp
    http://home-school.lovetoknow.com/St..._United_States
    http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2006/homeschool/
    With that said, I know plenty of people, adults and children, who went to public, private, and parochial schools who have no social skills what so ever.
    I never knew that going to a theater was an outdoor event. Even if it were, what is so wrong with learning from and with family?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information