Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of moving to WNY

Thinking of moving to WNY

Hi friends! My wife and two young kids and I currently live in Boston, MA. But we're thinking of moving to WNY cuz my wife and I are both from upstate NY, and we need to move cuz our kids need to go to school (we live in the city of Boston, where the public schools aren't so hot). Boston suburbs don't appeal to us cuz cost of living here is soooo expensive. We wouldn't be able to upgrade our housing. Also, Boston is a bit staid, conservative and uninspiring. Overrated city, IMO...

I'm originally from East Aurora so we're checking that out. But we know that people are fleeing Buffalo area and the region's been on the decline for 30-40 years... I left 25 years ago, after HS graduation. Anyway, I'll already have a job so I won't be looking for one. Our concerns are: is Buffalo a ghost town? Or is it vibrant? Is the exodus of young people and the economic/population decline really noticeable? We like artsy stuff -- funky boutiques, ethnic restaurants, indie movies and bands, unique bookstores and coffee houses, etc. I've been reading a bit about Buffalo's art scene on the 'Net... sounds promising.

So, should we move from Boston, MA to Buffalo? Thanks!

If you have a job you won't find a better place. Just don't get to passionate about the politics as most of us seem to do. Unemployment is a big problem, but if you don't have to worry about that you are all set. Culturally we are not
    Boston. There is a lively theatre circut and great resturants of all types.
    There are not too many elitist here, but there are some with pretensions. This is still the "city of no Illusions" however and most people are down to earth.

Is the exodus of young people and the economic/population decline really noticeable?

Absolutely. 25% of the entire population 18-30 in the last 10 years. It's great that you have a good job - you're going to need it to pay the taxes. All the smart young people are leaving, and you'll get stuck with the bill.

You should move here - we need your money!! All the kids wised up and moved away.

We like artsy stuff -- .....
    Coming from Boston, you'll be dissapointed. But to be fair, you could say Boston is a lot more exciting than the vast majority of places in the US by virtue of its size and history alone.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Boston already disappointed us. I moved here from the East Village of NYC and my wife moved here from Chicago. Boston was a letdown. Our next move is really for our kids. Will they kill us for raising them in East Aurora?

It depends on thier age. The schools are good and your close to ski country. Lots of hills and somewhat rural. You are 40 minutes out of downtown Buffalo. Activities like sports and community organizations abound. If you move in the village they could probably walk to stores etc., and you would be in a neigborhood. But if they are in thier teens and used to big city life than They may find the place too dull. Or they may enjoy it and adapt to the change of culture.

They are 5 years, and 8 months old. No city life instincts for them as yet! Also, East Aurora is only 20 minutes from downtown -- that's one of the reasons it's so appealing.

You drive faster then me!! I live in South Buffalo anyway, 10 minutes from downtown. At that age I am sure they would adjust just fine and I could not think of a better place for them to grow up.

Nor can I. Thanks citymouse! We may see you next spring/summer...

Originally posted by citymouse
    They may find the place too dull. Or they may enjoy it and adapt to the change of culture.
    They will enjoy where ever you put them, only if you provide them with the tools to enjoy. I moved back to "Buffalo" 7 years ago from Southern Cal. My oldest went to OP HS which she hated, kids are narrow minded and like the rest of WNY afraid of change. My youngest now a Senior started her schooling in OP then we moved into Buffalo. Buffalo public schools are not as bad as people say they are. My daughter has done well and continues to do well, thanks to her parents. WNY is a great place to raise kids, the key word is "parents" ...... People have left and people have come back (one out weighs the other)...Please come back and don't just sit around, get involved...And be sure to pay more than your fair share of tax.....See ya soon

PS My kids hate WNY

Hi there, moving back from Boston is a great idea, but not into Buffalo. I just moved out of Buffalo, 6months ago and would never go back. I still own my house in Lovejoy area, but rent it to my eldest son, the only one of my 5 children willing to live there.
    Since I bought my house there 21 years ago things have gone down steadly. Just drive down Bailey Ave. toward Main Street, Walden toward Grider or any place in the City Oh I'm sorry except North Buffalo and the City is a mess.
    If your looking for cheap housing and not so good school system then Buffalo, is your place.
    Me I moved way out in Lancaster and love it here. If it were me I would look outside of Buffalo and drive into the city for the artsy stuff. Good luck

Come on...where else but Buffalo can you buy a house for less then the price of a good boob job?

I could buy THIS ONE with the change in my sock drawer.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Wouldn't the paper work to transfer the home cost more than the $550

Originally posted by amamo
    Me I moved way out in Lancaster and love it here.
    You can run but you can't hide...Yet another non-hacker runs away.....Buffalo needs people who will stand up for their neighborhood's not another city worker taking our money outside the city....if you work for the city..

Lived in Buffalo for 21 years

For 21 years I supported Buffalo, and still support it by the taxes I pay on the house I own. What did I get for 21 years I have to pay over a 100.00 a years just to use there garbage can then I have to pay to have it picked up, I had the water meter put on my house and my water bill for three months is twice what I pay out here. Water pressure was awful, water the lawn and you can't shower, flush the toilet and your dish water slows to a trickle. The value of my house dropped so badly.
    I worked in Buffalo for many years until I went on Social Security,so I supported Buffalo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information