Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economics Lecture December 8th

Economics Lecture December 8th

Free Buffalo will test out its new economics program next week.

Dec. 8, Thursday, 7pm, at Free Buffalo, 1535 Hertel near Parkside.

Capacity is limited to about 40, so it's first come, first served.

The program is called, "Economics in Five Lessons," and consists of a thirty minute presentation by me, followed by thirty minutes of questions or comments from the audience.

This is an experimental program so candid discussion is encouraged.

If this experiment is a success, we will make the program available to any and all community, business and student groups. Frankly, we intend to saturate the WNY area with this program.

At the conclusion, written materials will be provided with suggested readings and numerous online materials.

I may need a note from the teacher.

The eighth is my birthday. When I told my missus I was going to your presentation, she accused me of sneaking off to meet someone.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Originally posted by biker
    I may need a note from the teacher.

The eighth is my birthday. When I told my missus I was going to your presentation, she accused me of sneaking off to meet someone.
    ahhhhh a fellow Sagittarius I knew there was something redeemable in you biker

I will make every effort to be there Jim, looking forward to it
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Here's the introduction--

The decline of the Western New York economy over the last 45 years is best explained by economics. Our organization, Free Buffalo, believes that only when the people of this area understand the basic economic principles and political dynamics that explain our decline, will they support the policy changes necessary to revive that economy. So we put together the following thirty minute presentation which is basically an introduction to economics as it pertains to politics. I will outline the five lessons of economics that we believe are most important for understanding our plight and how to get out of it. After my presentation, we will have a half hour for any questions or comments you might have. At the end of our program, you will each receive a study guide with a copy of my remarks, a list of the books I relied upon in developing my notes and some online resources for further study on the issues and concepts discussed. Here’s lesson No. 1:

Good intro, Jim.

So is that young lady with the placard going to introduce each section?

BTW-I hope Citymouse can come by. Although I disagree with his archaic economic model, it is one which has figured prominently in our area's history. He may have some perspectives that you might have overlooked.

Well, I wouldn't want to do any union-bashing--union-skewering, yes.

TimeOut Chair
    or www.dummies.com
    -----------------------
    If you think economics is a complicated discipline that’s reserved for theorists and the intellectual elite and has nothing to do with you, think again. Economics impacts every aspect of our lives, from what we eat, to how we dress, to where we live. Economics might be complicated, but it has everything to do with you.
    Economics For Dummies helps you see how your personal financial picture is influenced by the larger economic picture. When you understand how what happens on Wall Street affects Main Street and how policies emanating from the White House impact the finances in your house, you’ll be able to:
    Learn how government economic decisions affect you and your family
    Make better spending decisions and improve your personal finances
    Maximize your business profits
    Make wiser investments
    Written by Sean M. Flynn, PhD, Assistant Professor of Economics at Vassar College, Economics For Dummies covers all the basics of micro- and macroeconomic theory. The next time you need to understand an economic theory or calculation, whether it’s on the nightly news or on a spreadsheet at work, you’ll no longer be in the dark. Economics For Dummies covers all the history, principles, major theories, and terminology, including:
    How economics affect governments, international relations, business, and even environmental issues like global warming and endangered species
    How the government fights recessions and unemployment using monetary and fiscal policy
    How and why international trade is good for you even if you don’t appreciate French champagne, Irish crystal, or Swiss watches
    How the law of supply and demand can explain the prices of everything from comic books to open heart surgeries
    How the Federal Reserve controls the money supply, interest rates, and inflation
    Basic theories such as Keynesian economics, the Laffer Curve, and Adam Smith’s Invisible Hand
    Presenting complex theories in simple terms and helping you decode the jargon, understand the equations, and debunk the common misconceptions, Economics For Dummies could be a big boon to your personal economy!
    -------------------------

There is an M&T parking lot at Parkside and Hertel, about a block from Jim's office. It wraps behind and around the gas station right on the corner.

The branch is not open in the evening.

Reminder

December 8th, 2005

Economics program tonight at Free Buffalo, 1535 Hertel Ave. near Parkside, 7pm.

Trust me, this is not your father’s economics. It’ll be a hoot!

Plus cookies by La Dolce Vita.

I sure haven't forgotten it.

Although the press has. They've been full of stuff about this John Lennon guy (whoever he was).

They seemed to have overlooked your seminar and my birthday!

Not that I'm ticked about it or anything.

Happy birthday!

You know, I never sent out a press release on this because it's a pilot project at this point.

Is it true that "cute and fun" Natalie will be attending tonight's economic lecture?

didnt get to make as I had to run and pick up my kid at CO. how did it go?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Heck, we had such a wild time that it didn't let out till 8:20 PM.

But I'll let Mr. Ostrowski weigh in on the outcome.

Whenever he and the rowdies finish with the after-class beer blast.

After the scintillating lecture, four of us retired to the Wellington where we almost faced off against a table of political class-types. If would have been an even fight as there were eight of them.

Before that, I got some good tips on how to present the economics program to area audiences. Thanks to all who attended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information