Thread: Community Block Grant $$$$

Community Block Grant $$$$

I just saw where the Town of Cheektowaga just received over a $1M grant to be included with their existingCommunity Block Grant money for this year (total over $1.3M). I read in the "Bee" last week, an article about the TOA Planning Dept. & that they are responsible for this Town's funds. Any idea if they come even close to this amount of $$$ to help renovate some of our Town's areas?

Why not call and ask them. It's got to be public record if it's federal funding.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Hate to say this but see if they are hiring some friends and family to help burn threw the grant.

I think you're on the wrong track with this one. This is probably the most accountable program in town.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I didn't know that. Why would this one be more accountable versus like the over time abuse we have seen with Mark O in the computer department etc?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I didn't know that. Why would this one be more accountable versus like the over time abuse we have seen with Mark O in the computer department etc?
    Because they get such a small amount (compared to other municipalities) it can be easily monitored by HUD.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Does any here believe that money like this or HUD has actually helped WNY other than people skimming salaries/bene's/health insurance from the proceeds? And well connected developers who live off this money?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Does any here believe that money like this or HUD has actually helped WNY other than people skimming salaries/bene's/health insurance from the proceeds? And well connected developers who live off this money?
    Some people believe is was all created to be a "jobs" program. I tend to believe them.

I think the CDBG program needs to be revamped, where the national objectives are changed depending on the community. The agenda that they are pushing does not resonate in WNY, affordable and quality housing exist. What we need is gentrification and availability of employment opportunities.

CDBG money must be spent on specific types of categories, such as for the poor or seniors. Money has been used to rehab houses for low income seniors or families, ro purchase vans for transportation for the elderly, etc. It is a good program. Amherst doesn't get a lot of money because we don't have a large low income population.

Thread Information