Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once again

Once again

Once again the Buffalo News ran an editorial talking about one thing and subtley addressing their agenda.
    The article pertained to binding arbitration and the NFTA police. In said article they insinuate that all the city of Buffalo Unions have binding arbitration because of the Taylor Law. This is an out and out lie and something the news is either ignorant of, which is doubtful because it has been repeatedly pointed out to them, or a myth they wish to perpetuate to whip up public sentiments against all city employees.
    I have to to go with the latter as to suggest the former would indicate they are extremly stupid and incapable of researching the facts when they write an article.
    But maybe I am wrong. Maybe this distortion of the facts is not intentional, just the fault of incompetence on the news editorial staff.
    The fact is this misleading distortion of the truth does not help an already tarnished attitude toward non-uniformed city workers.
    The real truth is only police and fire have the luxury of binding arbitration. The rest of us can't play that card and the history of the last fifteen years of negotiation show it.
    True, we have decent benefits when it comes to most of non-union private industry employees that do comperable work, but we do suffer on the pay scale end.
    We also work with substandard and unreliable equipment sometimes under the worst conditions. Couple that with the hostile additude of much of the citizenry we service ( thanks in part to the Buffalo News) our jobs are no cake walk.
    The news has to stop suggesting that plow jockeys and garbagmen are the elite of the workforce in western New York.
    If it wasn't becoming dangerous for the normal city worker when he is on the streetbecause of this sense of outrage the news tries to create, it would be laughable.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    Couple that with the hostile additude of much of the citizenry we service ( thanks in part to the Buffalo News) our jobs are no cake walk.
    I have never seen anyone even remotly rude to the garbage men or the plows guy, Unless either A. the garbage man spilled garbage or broke a garbage can or b the plow guy dumped snow in front of someones drive way.
    Niether of those has anything to do with anybodys atitude toward govt workers.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

My G Men are such Prima Donnas, I absolutely can't stand them.

Don't even get me started on the story of the time I tried throwing my trash can out.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Don't even get me started on the story of the time I tried throwing my trash can out.
    LOL. You can't throw a trash can out in Buffalo, especially a metal one!!! I had a really old beat up one that the bottom had rotted out of that I tried for weeks to get rid of. It kept being left, even when I put the sign on it that said something like "please dispose of this can". I knocked the rotted bottom out and had my downstairs tenant take a sledge hammer to it to flatten it, but they still wouldn't take it. Finally, I took it out to the farm in Gowanda where we used it for target practice!
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    I have never seen anyone even remotly rude to the garbage men or the plows guy, Unless either A. the garbage man spilled garbage or broke a garbage can or b the plow guy dumped snow in front of someones drive way.
    Niether of those has anything to do with anybodys atitude toward govt workers.
    Recently a woman was coming up fast behind a truck that was picking up garbage. She slid on the ice as she slammed on the brakes. She hit a tote knocking it into one of the G-men breaking her mirror in the process. She started screaming obcenities at the guy and demanded he pay for her mirror. She actually went to Broadway to see if she could file a claim for her mirror, blaming the crew for "not getting out of her way fast enough". She never asked if the guy was hurt or not.
    Incidents like this are not uncommon.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

Citmouse - Please give us an honest answer on this one:

Do GMen get a kick out of messing with people when they try to throw out their garbage cans? Be honest now....

Citmouse - Please give us an honest answer on this one:

Do GMen get a kick out of messing with people when they try to throw out their garbage cans? Be honest now....

Actually not. If your can is rusted out and you just lay it on it's side and step on it then leave it with your garbage than they will toss it. Otherwise how would they know you want them to toss it? I don't know about the note bussiness but I could see some guy's getting a rise out of that.
    By the way, they aren't supposed to touch cans in the city of Buffalo. The use of them is illegal and you can get a ticket for them. You are allowed by city ordinance to have what ever tote you pay for (properly closed and not overflowing) and two small items of trash. Any thing more can result in a summons, as well as not using the tote you have. That can get you a ticket too. Most of the time they are pretty easy about it and will take most everything you put out within reason. But they don't have too.

My G Men are such Prima Donnas, I absolutely can't stand them.

I finally had to break mine apart and put it in another one
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE=therising]My G Men are such Prima Donnas, I absolutely can't stand them.

QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. They may have a low opinion of you as well. You have to forgive them for being Prima Donnas. It is such a glamours occupation it's hard not to feel "Special".
    Are you saying they should know their place?

I say we put two Buffalo cops back in every vehicle, except instead of a patrol car, we put them in a garbage truck. If they want to ride up and down every city street at 5mph looking at registration and inspection stickers as well as citing everything parked along the curb then we should cross train them to collect the garbage while they're at it.

Are you saying they should know their place?
    Stop putting words in my mouth.
    Besides these are Suburban, private Gmen, not City.

Anyone who has ever seen the smirk on their face as they enjoy not pulling to the side to let cars go by will know what I'm talking about.

I have other issues with them, as well, which I won't go into here.

Their opinion of me? I have no idea.

Now wait a minute Mouse. Your opening rant was one-sided. In particular:
    Couple that with the hostile additude of much of the citizenry we service ( thanks in part to the Buffalo News) our jobs are no cake walk.
    Now didn't the boys report back at the Barns that those lovable Parksiders were giving out Christmas envelopes? I mean one for each guy on the crew and the driver?

For both the garbage crew and the recycling guys?

Come on. They do that all over, don't they?
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCtUrNaL
    I say we put two Buffalo cops back in every vehicle, except instead of a patrol car, we put them in a garbage truck. If they want to ride up and down every city street at 5mph looking at registration and inspection stickers as well as citing everything parked along the curb then we should cross train them to collect the garbage while they're at it.
    WAit a minutes... just give Gmen the ticket books...

We kill two birds with one rock.

I heard in some towns we pay them for 8 but they can't acutally leave up to 4 hours early.. BIG load of crap in my opinion... I could see cuting some slack but up to 4 hours means the routes are definately not long enough.

Why can't they tag cars as they go? So what if it adds an hour or so to the route. They usually leave early anyways right?

We can cut the cost of garbage removal for everyone. Plus lay off some "police traffic ticket enforcers" because we have the Gmen doing it anyhow.

GMen, armed with a ticket pad and air freshners

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    LOL. You can't throw a trash can out in Buffalo, especially a metal one!!! I had a really old beat up one that the bottom had rotted out of that I tried for weeks to get rid of. It kept being left, even when I put the sign on it that said something like "please dispose of this can". I knocked the rotted bottom out and had my downstairs tenant take a sledge hammer to it to flatten it, but they still wouldn't take it. Finally, I took it out to the farm in Gowanda where we used it for target practice!
    I had several good ones, left over from when they started the totes.
    Someone told me you got to put one container out a week other than the tote.

So I put some branches in one of my shiny silver cans.

The Gmen tossed the can in the back of the truck, which crushed it and they drove away.

After a good cry, I vowed to protect my other two.

I don't think anyone should link the cops with the Sanitation Dept.

Seriously.

The SD delivers good value for the money.

The PBA holds the City hostage.

The Cops pull any stunt they want and there's no one (or many) who can tell them to stop.

Even the Mayor is reduced to ad-libbing, "Oh yeah; that whole ticket thing was my idea. Improve the quality of life."

Cops don't live in the City and flaunt it.

The only difference between cops and perps is a badge, IMO. God only knows which has it.

Streets guys, in my experience, are hard-working City residents. Who I'm glad to have as neighbors.

Especially if they crowd out electeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information