Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grand Island Welcome Center

Sounds like you have been full circle in Grand Island politics and business.....
    I could probably bring up many issues that would add fuel to the fire, but I'm not sure it would do much good. I prefer to remember some of the good things from being brought up there. Marty's Mobil, Sidway, party's @ Sandy Beach, dragracing down Alvin Rd. Ceil & Chuck's was at the S curve on East River - had a pool table we all learned on. Idle Hour was on East River near the bridge - still there? heard it burned down. How about the Edgewater - now there's a place from the past.
    Keep up the fight - the town needs people like you presenting a open view point of issues
    Last time I ate at Del & Herb's - Dave Haller was there - always a great time.

OK, Yes, the Idle hour burnt down.. You just had to jog my memory..

You probably grew up with some of the people I know and have been fighting politics here with on the island.. Simon, Lexo, Chambers, Hillock, Sharpe, Playfair, Weaver.. and others.

No need to bring up the past, things just vaen't changed, same problems different people fighting. Thing is they keep on doing their best to defeat me, they win in some and I win. Goes back and forth, they get frustrated because I don't go away as others have.

I am always fighting for the people Rights and have even fought for people that I don't get along with. When you fight for thr Rights of the people, it should be all, not just the ones you like.

We have Rights as citizens and residents and one of those is the Right to fight oppressive government.

http://www.rusthompson.com/aboutme.html

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpetbagger
    Marty's Mobil, Sidway, party's @ Sandy Beach, dragracing down Alvin Rd. Ceil & Chuck's was at the S curve on East River - had a pool table we all learned on. Idle Hour was on East River near the bridge - still there? heard it burned down. How about the Edgewater - now there's a place from the past. Last time I ate at Del & Herb's - Dave Haller was there - always a great time.
    Ceil & Chuck's was on the S curve? Well that's gotta be what we now call BA's. It's owned by Bill Aydelotte, and your pool table is still there
    Ok .. I know where Idle Hours is now and nope ... it closed down a number of years ago. Coulda been a fire, I don't know for sure.
    Ya got me on Edgewater ... where was that?

I think Edgewater is right beside BA's..

It is right down on the water behind the guardrail that Swanick put up.
    It looks like a house from the road.

Unregistered
    Turner's Port O' Call is right next to BA's.

OK, call me lost then... : )

Unregistered
    Rus ...

What do you think of the proposed contruction of patio homes on the property between Fareway Lane, Baseline, Fix Road, and the DeGlopper farm that John Stickl is intent on building?

As far as I have been able to understand this it appears the Law is on Stickl's side. He is trying to get the people in the area to be in agreement with his plan.

Reminds me of the Wilson Farms issue here on Stony Pt and Ransom. If the land is zoned for it, if the plan was approved in the past, it can be built.

Because of this, all the residents will be able to do is delay the inevitable.

With the Wilson Farms I told the developer to drop the gas issue and just build the store. They refused and had to go through months of hearings. In the end he won but it cost thousands in legal fees. The place is still not built.

I will look more into it for you and tell you how I think it will be ruled according to the Law. Problem is when the people aren't educated to the issues surrounding their property and they get pissed when they find out something is being built after they purchase it.

Before you buy a house or plot of land, go to town hall and look at the master plan and the map surrounding it. Some people would be very suprised to see what has been approved for development across the island. It just may sway your opinion one way or the other.

Jim Sharpe created the master plan and it was adopted 10+ years ago as Law, the town is still doing the zoning to comply with it. Politics is involved in everything that goes on here.

I'll let you know what I find out, but I see right now that it will happen.
    How many times have you heard me say, The Law is the Law, agree or disagree it's still the Law. If you don't like the Law then work to change it.

I think we will find out that is the way this subdivision will work out. John Stickl will change some things to attempt to make more people happy.

well one things for sure...... you guys on the island sure have all the pubs targeted !
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by RusThompson
    Problem is when the people aren't educated to the issues surrounding their property and they get pissed when they find out something is being built after they purchase it.

Before you buy a house or plot of land, go to town hall and look at the master plan and the map surrounding it. Some people would be very suprised to see what has been approved for development across the island. It just may sway your opinion one way or the other.
    That's not necessarily true. Land gets rezoned in many instances as proposals come in from developers.

I think we will find out that is the way this subdivision will work out. John Stickl will change some things to attempt to make more people happy.
    I don't know John personally but I do hope he builds residential homes as opposed to patio homes as individual residential homes will add more to the tax base than patio homes do .. well at least that's the case from what I've heard.

People buy homes in neighborhoods they expect will remain aesthetically pleasing and any development to be consistent to the neighborhood. It's a tough pill to swallow when after you lay out $200,000+ for a home and some developer with deep pockets comes in and changes what you found so appealing in the first place. I'm not saying this is what John is doing, but others have tried.

Take Simon and Hillock for example and their efforts to build on the property on the north side of Webb Road. They bought the property there and had it rezoned for patio homes but when the town wouldn't bend on a 195' buffer zone, they put the property up for sale. Who knows what will eventually be built there now?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by steven
    well one things for sure...... you guys on the island sure have all the pubs targeted !
    Yea .. we do seem to have a good number of watering holes on the Island. Not much else to do here

Unregistered
    Originally posted by Ragintaxpayer
    Turner's and BA's (the old Z's) are still open. I don't know how the smoking ban effected either one. And TC's is still going strong.
    Originally posted by RusThompson
    Turners and BA's allow the people to smoke, TC's doesn't but Chris like the ban.
    The funny thing about the ban is that they say you can't smoke but cannot force you to enforce it.
    If the smoking police come in they will fine you but all they can make you do is put up signs that say no smoking..
    Well Rus ...

Apparently the smoking police have invaded the Island.

I stopped by BA's last night and smoking is now prohibited. The "No Smoking" signs are up. The barmaid told me the Dept of Health came in two or three months ago to enforce the smoking ban. There were only a few patrons there .. and everyone stepped outside to smoke. The parking lot is littered with cigarette butts.
    I can only surmise that someone called in to the Dept of Health and complained due to the fact BA's is kinda out of the way and secluded here on the Island.

Turners, across the street, looks like it's been closed for the winter. Not sure though as it was a Tuesday night. Anyway, I suppose they'll have an edge on BA's when they open as they have the outside deck, unless the smoking ban is enforced on outdoor patios/decks as well?

Oh and btw, you were right. That guardrail in place in front of Turner's is hideous. I know there have been MVA's around the S curve, but did someone lose control of their vehicle and end up in Turner's doorway? Can't think of any other reason that guardrail is in place.
    It certainly restricts parking at Turner's and sorta obstructs one from even finding the place.

The Edgewater was on East River near a creek, had a couple of old sunken big steel boats out front. Was always the place to go after a few at the Idle Hour. A lot of the names your bringing up sure sound familar. Are any of the Long's or Kaiser's or Killian's or Trautman's left on the island? I knew a Jim Kaiser, neat guy, was always into old cars. I think he was working for the town in the water dept. Politics was always a hot button over there, George Burgstahler ring a bell - was Supervisor at one time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information