Thread: Special meeting on Buffalo-Lancaster Airport safety issues, Part I

Special meeting on Buffalo-Lancaster Airport safety issues, Part I

At Monday evening’s Lancaster Town Board meeting, Supervisor Robert Giza cautioned attendees speaking on Buffalo-Lancaster safety issues to keep their emotions in check. The 100 or so attendees did just that and a fruitful meeting took place, one where civility ruled while substantive information was shared and where a satisfactory outcome is possible.

More...

Quote Originally Posted by speakup View Post
    At Monday evening’s Lancaster Town Board meeting, Supervisor Robert Giza cautioned attendees speaking on Buffalo-Lancaster safety issues to keep their emotions in check. The 100 or so attendees did just that and a fruitful meeting took place, one where civility ruled while substantive information was shared and where a satisfactory outcome is possible.

More...
    I was taken back by how misinformed Mr. Geles seemed to be. He did not seem to have many answers, did he? As owner/manager of an airport, I would expect he would know more than he currently does.....
    From what I can tell, residents had more "facts" than he did. I guess there is something to be said for doing your homework....

This is not uncommon

This airport is one of many across the United States which was build in rural areas long before development has encroached on their flight paths and airport traffic areas. Despite that fact, people have built in these areas knowing full well that there would be noise and normal aviation activities taking place.

The FAA has jurisdiction here and not the town or village.

I think that zoning laws should restrict development in areas which could be problematic.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan View Post
    This airport is one of many across the United States which was build in rural areas long before development has encroached on their flight paths and airport traffic areas. Despite that fact, people have built in these areas knowing full well that there would be noise and normal aviation activities taking place.

The FAA has jurisdiction here and not the town or village.

I think that zoning laws should restrict development in areas which could be problematic.
    Airport here before most residents true enough.....All expansion plans, however, needs approval of residents (we checked FAA rulings on matter). Town never had a public meeting. Because there was never public approval, any further expansion should (WILL) be stopped.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    Airport here before most residents true enough.....All expansion plans, however, needs approval of residents (we checked FAA rulings on matter). Town never had a public meeting. Because there was never public approval, any further expansion should (WILL) be stopped.
    Aren't town board meetings considered "public meetings"?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    Aren't town board meetings considered "public meetings"?
    Yes.... they are "but" public notices are required "prior to" meeting.... not after as was the case here....

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    Yes.... they are "but" public notices are required "prior to" meeting.... not after as was the case here....
    I believe they can post a "public notice" in any rag paper, such as the Metro and be within the guidelines of the law. The law says, "notice must be given to the public and the news media."
    Notice of Meetings
    The law requires that notice of the time and place of all meetings be given prior to every meeting.
    If a meeting is scheduled at least a week in advance, notice must be given to the public and the news media not less than 72 hours prior to the meeting. Notice to the public must be accomplished by posting in one or more designated public locations.
    When a meeting is scheduled less than a week in advance, notice must be given to the public and the news media "to the extent practicable" at a reasonable time prior to the meeting. Again, notice to the public must be given by means of posting.
    If videoconferencing is used to conduct a meeting, the public notice for the meeting must inform the public that videoconferencing will be used, identify the locations for the meeting, and state that the public has the right to attend the meeting at any of the locations.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/coog/Right_to_know.html

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    I believe they can post a "public notice" in any rag paper, such as the Metro and be within the guidelines of the law. The law says, "notice must be given to the public and the news media."
    Yes they can but still must post public notice before they vote at town meeting. For whatever reason, this was not done correctly in regards to airport expansion. We have FAA documents proving same.....
    The FAA requires a set of documents noting meetings (must be three) along with public notice posting dates w/names of paper(s) listed etc.....

Thread Information