Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turf Soccer Fields at Westwood Park

Turf Soccer Fields at Westwood Park

I'm surprised I didn't see anything on here about this already. I signed my son up for soccer this spring and they're playing games at Walden Pond park instead of Westwood due to an installation of artificial turf at Westwood. We drove through Westwood yesterday and sure enough, there are dozens of massive rolls of turf waiting to be installed in the ripped up field. What's so wrong with playing soccer on grass? It's not nearly as bad as having an indoor baseball building, but this is getting pathetic. Kids aren't being allowed to handle a little dirt or mud while playing. Our older son had played a few seasons on the same field and there was no issue. Sure when it rained, like all fields made of dirt and grass, there would be some puddles or mud. But that's part of the game.

It allows a good drainage system to be put in. This way there are few rain outs. Not to mention you do not need to cut the turf once a week. Plus you get a perfect roll on the turf...

I do not think kids who play soccer these days care about mud so much... hahahahahaha This is America, TACKLE foot ball baby! 8-)
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Drainage there was already better than in my backyard. There's no such thing as a rain out in soccer. Only if there's lightning does a game get called, but this won't help that.

Oh good point yaksplat, but maybe by putting the turf in they are able to start the season earlier rather than waiting for the grass to grow. The maintenance is minimal probably. But you pose a good question though.

Drainage there is beyond terrible for the soccer fields (baseball is a different story.) I have plenty of pictures of my kids playing and it being a mud bath. The fields were ruined. Coaches used to use coffee cups to try and make puddles more shallow. The start of the season was just delayed because the fields were unplayable.
    If you don't like gay marriage blame straight people. They're the ones who keep having gay babies.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I'm surprised I didn't see anything on here about this already. I signed my son up for soccer this spring and they're playing games at Walden Pond park instead of Westwood due to an installation of artificial turf at Westwood. We drove through Westwood yesterday and sure enough, there are dozens of massive rolls of turf waiting to be installed in the ripped up field. What's so wrong with playing soccer on grass? It's not nearly as bad as having an indoor baseball building, but this is getting pathetic. Kids aren't being allowed to handle a little dirt or mud while playing. Our older son had played a few seasons on the same field and there was no issue. Sure when it rained, like all fields made of dirt and grass, there would be some puddles or mud. But that's part of the game.
    Back in the day when my son played, he'd be loaded with mud. it was all a part of the game and the kids loved it.

$434,160 to install the turf at Westwood Park. When they blow money from the Recreational fees they receive from new home building, people don't seem phased by it. That big chunk of change could have been used to improve something else in the town parks

Georgia L Schlager

Maybe that money could have gone for other purposes - but tax payers don't have a voice in what's done with that money !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

The people running this town have no concept on how to spend money wisely. They throw money around like it's coming from a bottomless well. In the meantime, my taxes have increased 62% in the 9 years that I've lived in Lancaster. For that extra $2600 per year, I receive nothing.

This is the main reason I'm leaving Lancaster and heading to Elma, a town that only spends what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Depew.to.you View Post
    Drainage there is beyond terrible for the soccer fields (baseball is a different story.) I have plenty of pictures of my kids playing and it being a mud bath. The fields were ruined. Coaches used to use coffee cups to try and make puddles more shallow. The start of the season was just delayed because the fields were unplayable.
    That was exactly why the turf was put in and the money that paid for it came out of the Recreation Filing Fees which is a fund set up to provide such amenitiees from new home construction; and as the funding of the soccur turf does not come out of the annual budget, it does not cost the average taxpayer. That is unless you want to take the position that every tax, every fee does ultimately come from the taxpayer's pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    The people running this town have no concept on how to spend money wisely. They throw money around like it's coming from a bottomless well. In the meantime, my taxes have increased 62% in the 9 years that I've lived in Lancaster. For that extra $2600 per year, I receive nothing.

This is the main reason I'm leaving Lancaster and heading to Elma, a town that only spends what they have.
    Taxes are high in Lancaster and there are department budgets that are out of control. But when you say 'town', you must be referring to school taxes as well. In the past two years, Republican Supervisor Dino Fudoli presented budgets that lowered taxes. Although his proposed budget were increased by the four Democratic Council members, there were no tax increases.

Prior to the last two years, there were 13 consecutivetown budget spending increases under 100% controlled Democratic Party controlled Town Boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    That was exactly why the turf was put in and the money that paid for it came out of the Recreation Filing Fees which is a fund set up to provide such amenities from new home construction; and as the funding of the soccer turf does not come out of the annual budget, it does not cost the average taxpayer. That is unless you want to take the position that every tax, every fee does ultimately come from the taxpayer's pocket.
    I am one of those people "take the position that every tax, every fee does ultimately come from the taxpayer's pocket" - now you can say the purchase and installation didn't cost tax payers because the money came from "Recreation Fee/taxes" what ever -

Now that its there we will pay for supervision, repairs and maintenance - TAX DOLLARS !

We (north end residents) also pay high taxes and receive "0" services - Many of us also pay $2400.00 a year in extra(forced) flood insurance.

The Town has done nothing to alleviate the flooding. "0" - nothing !

Maybe they could come down and improve our drainage and then we could actually use our yards - maybe they could clear Ellicott Creek and stop permitting over 18 Million gallons of extra water into the wetlands surrounding the creek so it could do as nature intended !

But that would only serve three voters - so instead lets have our Banker Councilman and his Recreational Party Leader kiss up to the "Newer Residents" in order to get votes.

As I remember only one family had "Town Provided drainage work" - those lucky people have a relative in Town Hall. That's what burns our buts!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

OK, just had that walk in the park. I thought yaksplat was referring to new land being groomed. I was floored with what I saw. The original turf on the soccer field area is torn up and turf is being installed. My grandson's & I have been on that field numerous times and I do not see why they needed to remove the original grassed areas which seemed fine when my grandkids played soccer.

I take real exception to the fact that now we are paying this amount when IMO it was not a necessity. I looked around the park and saw many things that could have benefitted from that recreation fund. Money that comes from homeowners whether you want to say it was a fee upon building a home of $1250.00 or a tax both costs come directly from the taxpayer/homeowner. The builder comes to the new home owner for that money-built into the cost of the home.

When was this presented to a town board meeting? Who decides that the field needed new turf?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Who decides that the field needed new turf?
    Ddi you read the thread here, info was disclosed. I think this a good investment for the kids.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Ddi you read the thread here, info was disclosed. I think this a good investment for the kids.
    1. When was this presented to the board?
    2. Who decides that the field needed new turf?

Frank,
    Was that information provided? Oh they want you over in the Buffalo thread.

Oh they want you over in the Buffalo thread.
    Please stop with this childish stuff: I bet I use that park more than most people who live in Lancaster. No one owns Lancaster, it is in Erie County and a part of Erie County, I live in Erie County. It is in NY State and a part of NY State, I live in NY State. It is in the US of A is a part of the US 0f A. I live in the US of A!

Frank,
    Was that information provided?
    Lee said this: "... and the money that paid for it came out of the Recreation Filing Fees which is a fund set up to provide such amenitiees from new home construction; and as the funding of the soccer turf does not come out of the annual budget, it does not cost the average taxpayer."

It does not need to, they already established a policy for that.

The Recreation Department. I assume there are good people running it in such a quality town as Lancaster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information