Thread: Astonishment as district says she faked her own - our community has to clean house...

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Astonishment as district says she faked her own - our community has to clean house...

Buffalo School District accuses parent of faking her own signature as forgery case twists anew

In a plot twist that seems straight from a made-for-TV movie, the parent who accused Buffalo school officials of forging her signature on key documents has now been accused by the district of using “disguised writing” to fake her own forgery.

Given that, any doubt cast on Harvey Austin School Principal Brigette Gillespie, who submitted the documents, “was totally removed,” district officials said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...-anew-20140324

In a March 17 letter to Jones’ attorney, district general counsel Rashondra M. Martin wrote, “Our handwritten expert concluded that the documents were authored by Ms. Jones utilizing a method known as disguised writing.”

“Disguised writing,” the letter continued, “is a deliberate attempt to alter one’s handwriting to prevent recognition.”

I'm curious.. anyone know who the "hand writing expert" is?

Some reading

“If I signed it, I signed it, but I didn’t,” she said. “They’re saying I’m disguising my handwriting when I was in the hospital having surgery.”
    I wonder how long they were in the hospital. Only takes but a moment to sign something.

So the expert was hired by the BPS, paid by the BPS and concluded that BPS was in the right? Go figure. Man that school district is an absolute mess. From the two admins who did not have the proper credentials to this....it's just complete dysfunction.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I feel for the kids.

Statement of fact, " that school district is an absolute mess." As a resident and parent the reason we are in such a mess is that the money we are spending is not our money but is a welfare check from the suburbs.
    Gov Cuomo and your local legislators every year appropriate about a $800 million dollars to let the BPS Board of Education spend the money and run the schools. When I read the papers I see school districts, cutting
    programs (teachers), closing schools, searching for efficiencies and attempting to stretch the tax dollar. Here we do not have to because it is not our money thanks to legislators like Schimminger, Ryan , Peoples, Kearns and Kennedy. Buffalo is treated like a spoiled child not as one that needs to learn to be responsible. Why won't some of our legislators ask the BPS Board of Education and the high administrators to act responsibly
    and professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockholm View Post
    Statement of fact, " that school district is an absolute mess." As a resident and parent the reason we are in such a mess is that the money we are spending is not our money but is a welfare check from the suburbs.
    Gov Cuomo and your local legislators every year appropriate about a $800 million dollars to let the BPS Board of Education spend the money and run the schools. When I read the papers I see school districts, cutting
    programs (teachers), closing schools, searching for efficiencies and attempting to stretch the tax dollar. Here we do not have to because it is not our money thanks to legislators like Schimminger, Ryan , Peoples, Kearns and Kennedy. Buffalo is treated like a spoiled child not as one that needs to learn to be responsible. Why won't some of our legislators ask the BPS Board of Education and the high administrators to act responsibly
    and professionally.
    Right, so the 350 teaching positions that are going to be eliminated in BPS are not cuts?

Also, as far as BPS paying someone to find in favor of BPS, this is an age old practice. Arthur Andersen? Companies (including charter schools) are permitted to hire 3rd party auditors. Tell me there's no conflict of interest there... Two wrongs don't make a right, but your outrage over one when the other practice has been allowed for decades is disingenuous.

If I read your comment correctly you are saying that it is possible that 350 positions will be eliminated sometime in the future. We will wait and see but I have a couple of observations. First laying off teachers when
    enrollment drops is to be expected. It happened in the mid 70's when there were not as many children enrolled. I had friends with tenure time of 6-8 years in Niagara Falls who lost their jobs for several years. Yes
    eventually
    most of them returned but they could see the future coming. The BPS had 45-47k students when they started the reconstruction program on the schools that cost NYS $1.4 billion. I think that during the construction the
    student population dropped to under 35k. I won't bother to list all the entities who had financial oversight of this project but not one that I can recall ever addressed the issue of system capacity and enrollment
    figures, not even the financial oversight bureaucrats at the Buffalo Fiscal Stability Board. The ironic part of that is that the BFSA had both the construction plans, costs and the enrollment figures. The only adjustment
    that I
    remember is the contractor asking for more money because materials had rapidly inflated. Bail out the contractor but not the individual teachers but that is not part of this story.

The Buffalo Say Yes group has two studies on its website on by School House Partners and the other by the infamous Cross and Joftus. School house lays out the case for underutilized schools and classroom
    enrollments that are very small. I don't think they were referring to special ed classes. More people should read these only because they demonstrate the ineptness of the oversight has been a long term
    problem.

I hope you can remember when Orchard Park had the community blowup over their school boards' plan to build a $90 (?) million school about 10-12 years ago. Residents were concerned what it would do to their
    taxes and if it was really needed. Here in Buffalo those two issues were never discussed because it isn't our money it is a welfare check from the suburbs. The Cross and Joftus study I believe addresses the issue
    of the inequitable distribution of resources (money) in this system and that there may be at least a three tiers of schools in this system. Maybe you would explain to a family that has one child at the "Mansion on
    the Hill" (City Honors) but the second child is assigned through the "School Choice Program" to Bennett or Lafayette, how their education is equal. It is the Board of Education and the upper administrators of this service
    who have demoralized parents who care. The result is according to the NYS Education Department statistics both white and minority families are leaving for suburban schools. Teacher positions are in jeopardy
    because many families care about the education. Those 350 positions were thrown under the bus by the leadership in the BOE.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Who caught this on www.wivb.com channel 4 ?

School group wants U.S. Attorney to investigate forged signature

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — A Buffalo parent accused of forging her own signature on a school document wants the U.S. Attorney’s Office to look into her case.

Timeka Jones and the District Parent Coordinating Council President Samuel Radford met with U.S. Attorney William Hochul, Jr. Monday afternoon. They want his office to consider a series of charges, including obstruction of justice.

http://wivb.com/2014/04/14/parent-gr...ed-signatures/

So I wonder who faked the signatures....

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So I wonder who faked the signatures....
    The Principal was behind it. Unbelievable! Lying about parent involvement.
    Jones tells the Buffalo News that when she confronted Principal Brigette Gillespie about the forgeries, Gillespie initially denied any wrongdoing. According to Jones, it was only after she pointed out she couldn’t have signed one of the documents on the day in question because she was in the hospital for surgery that Principal Gillespie admitted, “We signed your name.”

As the charges of wrongdoing became public and worked their way up the school district’s chain of command, Jones claims administrators tried to pressure her into stating “she had given the principal permission to sign her name to a school improvement plan document but had forgotten,” the News reports.
    https://eagnews.org/new-york-mom-cla...-over-forgery/

Thread Information