Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Parking Ticket Story

Thumbs down My Parking Ticket Story

I had some business to attend to this afternoon at HSBC tower downtown. Rather than pay $6 for a spot in the parking garage, I pulled up to an available parking meter near Seneca and Main. I dutifully fed the meter with two quarters which allotted me 30 minutes to conduct my business and return to my car prior to the arrival of the Buffalo Parking Nazis.

As I exited the building, I could see the now familiar parking enforcement truck pulled up next to my Jeep. The cop was standing next to my door, dutifully armed with his weapon of parking terror. As I approached the car, I took a look at the meter and noticed that I still had SIX MINUTES before the meter expired. Below is the exact exchange I had with the cop:

BuffaloGeek: “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

Buffalo Parking Brownshirt: “Giving you a ticket, that’s what smartass.”

BG: < PAUSING > “Perhaps in your rabid desire to punish me for your lack of a contract, you failed to notice that there is still six minutes of time left in the meter.”

BPB: “Silence”

BG: Enters Jeep, preparing to leave

BPB: “Hey, where da hell do you think you’re going?”

BG: “Home, there is no reason to give me a ticket, plenty of time on the meter, ya know.”

BPB: “Stop giving me attitude or I’ll find a reason to give you a ticket. It’s not dat hard to do a thing like dat, ya know.”

BG: “Yeah, alright then.”

I then turned my key and left anyways. The cop looked pretty pissed, I assume I have now been added to the “Parking Watch List” and will be thrown into the hooskow as a “Parking Terrorist” at the earliest convenience of the City.

This comes roughly 20 hours after the police began driving down my North Buffalo street at 5:50PM and writing tickets for cars that did not observe the alternate parking rules, THAT BEGIN AT 6PM. I wonder if the police are as diligent about alternate parking scofflaws in Mayor Brown’s old grassroots stomping grounds on the East Side?

Buffalo, We’re Talkin’ Proud!

Chris, obviously your "rep power" is not high enough to get out of parking tickets.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Chris, you obviously don't remember that old song, "I Fought the Law, and the Law Won"!!! ROFLMAO!
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

This really should be reported. Both the act of ticketing cars that still have time on the meter, AND his attitude to you when you called him on it.

but then again, you probably don't want the Parking Nazi's to single you out. They obviously have a lot of time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Parkside
    I had some business to attend to this afternoon at HSBC tower downtown. Rather than pay $6 for a spot in the parking garage, I pulled up to an available parking meter near Seneca and Main. I dutifully fed the meter with two quarters which allotted me 30 minutes to conduct my business and return to my car prior to the arrival of the Buffalo Parking Nazis.

As I exited the building, I could see the now familiar parking enforcement truck pulled up next to my Jeep. The cop was standing next to my door, dutifully armed with his weapon of parking terror. As I approached the car, I took a look at the meter and noticed that I still had SIX MINUTES before the meter expired. Below is the exact exchange I had with the cop:

BuffaloGeek: “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

Buffalo Parking Brownshirt: “Giving you a ticket, that’s what smartass.”

BG: < PAUSING > “Perhaps in your rabid desire to punish me for your lack of a contract, you failed to notice that there is still six minutes of time left in the meter.”

BPB: “Silence”

BG: Enters Jeep, preparing to leave

BPB: “Hey, where da hell do you think you’re going?”

BG: “Home, there is no reason to give me a ticket, plenty of time on the meter, ya know.”

BPB: “Stop giving me attitude or I’ll find a reason to give you a ticket. It’s not dat hard to do a thing like dat, ya know.”

BG: “Yeah, alright then.”

I then turned my key and left anyways. The cop looked pretty pissed, I assume I have now been added to the “Parking Watch List” and will be thrown into the hooskow as a “Parking Terrorist” at the earliest convenience of the City.

This comes roughly 20 hours after the police began driving down my North Buffalo street at 5:50PM and writing tickets for cars that did not observe the alternate parking rules, THAT BEGIN AT 6PM. I wonder if the police are as diligent about alternate parking scofflaws in Mayor Brown’s old grassroots stomping grounds on the East Side?

Buffalo, We’re Talkin’ Proud!
    Wait. Do you mean the police don't have to prove you actually violated a parking law? I never thought of it that way before.

That's it for me. I live in the burbs -- have no reason I really must go to Buffalo. So I think I'll do my shopping, dining etc. elsewhere.

geesh! what a crazy place.

moonshine
    Anyone know where you can buy those boots they put on an illegally parked car? It sure would be swell to start attaching those to unattended cop-mobiles.

moonshine
    Chris, obviously your "rep power" is not high enough to get out of parking tickets.
    What the hell is rep power? I noticed I have a 3. Does that get me a free spaghetti dinner at any masons lodge?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    Chris, you obviously don't remember that old song, "I Fought the Law, and the Law Won"!!! ROFLMAO!
    Well, unless there is a ticket by mail system, I have no idea how I would be ticketed at this point in time. It's more the point of the matter.

My wife got a ticket today while she was parked outside the Statler. She checked her watch when she went in at 1103. She put in enough quarters to last for an hour. She checked her watch at 1055 and started to work her way back to the car...she was stopped by her boss as she was getting some further instructions on an errand she had to run...she finally got to her car at 1105...yup, you guessed it, she already had a ticket and there wasn't a cop in sight.

It would appear she was the victim of an over-agressive ticketer who wrote the ticket prior to the meter expiring or it was the fatest ticket writing/disappearing act in history.

Sure, the meter expired on her but, this hyper-agressive ticketing policy certainly leaves some room for interpretation o nthe motives of the officers.

The Mayor just needs to stand up and say "I am fully supportive of the ticketing blitz" or intervene with the cops. No more of this middle of the road bull****...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Parkside
    The Mayor just needs to stand up and say "I am fully supportive of the ticketing blitz" or intervene with the cops. No more of this middle of the road bull****...
    Mayor Brown is a lifelong career politician. He doesn't have the ability to make a decision that will satisfy one group and piss off the other group. He'll continue to make statements like "we need to look into this" ...until the problem just goes away on its own.

yeah the mayor needs more rep power to be effective.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    Mayor Brown is a lifelong career politician. He doesn't have the ability to make a decision that will satisfy one group and piss off the other group. He'll continue to make statements like "we need to look into this" ...until the problem just goes away on its own.
    A leader handles a problem, a legislator is weak and waits for it to go away. Byron is showing which type of politicain he is...

BMHA - Legislator
    Bass Pro - Legislator
    Parking Scandal - Legislator

Say what you will about Masiello being an ineffective moron but, he took the cops on last time they decided to declare war on the people in order to win a contract negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    yeah the mayor needs more rep power to be effective.
    Seriously, let it go...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Did you get the name of the police officer who was going to pop a ticket on your jeep before the meter was out?

I bet the guys from Channel 2 could interview him to see what his duties were before he started being a ticket machine

Chris,

I also live in North Buffalo and have noticed this same phenomenon every Monday and Thursday evening

I never know what to do. If I move my car around 530, they could technically ticket me for being on the OTHER side of the road before 6pm.

But then again, they will ticket me for being on the LEGAL side, even though it's not quite 6pm yet...

LOL

it's crazy.... I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this disgusting abuse
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Improvise if you want to park illegally. I'm sure there are pleny a ticket in it's boot for the day you are out. Why not just take it off another vehicle and put it on yours? Would that work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information