Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Property taxes are set to increase 30% this year

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    whens that new rug showing up Res? My dogs will need to pee.
    Hallway should be soon....Three people complimented your work so far. You need to drop off a few cards.

I'm not going far, just leaving Lancaster and building in Elma. A town that only spends what it has and has no debt.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Where is everyone going? I've got my eye on North Carolina, but inland, not near the ocean. Maybe Raleigh...I understand they hate Sabre fans. It'd be a kick in the ass to go to their games when the Sabes are in town.
    A red state.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I'm not going far, just leaving Lancaster and building in Elma. A town that only spends what it has and has no debt.
    And you wouldn't mind the taxes if you really saw something being done with the money versus just never ending labor contract increases.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    And you wouldn't mind the taxes if you really saw something being done with the money versus just never ending labor contract increases.

I'll have you know my taxes help a lot of people retire early spending their pensions in warmer climates.

financing debt is never a good use of tax money.

financing debt is never a good use of tax money.
    I don't follow you. How is paying taxes into a pension system financing debt? My creditors always tell me I'd better finance my debt or else.

Lancaster has $2.7 million in the budget for debt service, 8.5% of the total budget. Nearly 1 million in interest. Not the wisest use of tax money.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Just think if those millions were being used for repairs your town needs instead of for debt. 8.5% is a fair amount out of the budget.

Lancaster has $2.7 million in the budget for debt service, 8.5% of the total budget. Nearly 1 million in interest. Not the wisest use of tax money.
    Just think about how much money the US borrows to pay interest....

The US Should borrow a penny, the US has the power to coin money and set the value there of
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Just think if those millions were being used for repairs your town needs instead of for debt. 8.5% is a fair amount out of the budget.
    What if they borrowed the money to pay for the town's needs, capital repairs for example. Lotsa the time the cost of those repairs is so great that to fund in one tax year would create an incredible burden.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Some repairs if needed need to be repaired. if you have to borrow you really have no choice. It's when you borrow for items that are really not not needed while ignoring items that are needed.

Towns should budget scheduled maintenance. Basically set aside funds ear marked for specific things. I'm pretty sure there is a good idea how longs roads last based on traffic including bridges, sidewalks, sewers, infrastructure items including equipment towns use.

That is what I mean when I say things should be ran like a business. Running something like a business doesn't mean running it as if profit is to be made.

Some repairs if needed need to be repaired. if you have to borrow you really have no choice. It's when you borrow for items that are really not not needed while ignoring items that are needed.

Towns should budget scheduled maintenance. Basically set aside funds ear marked for specific things. I'm pretty sure there is a good idea how longs roads last based on traffic including bridges, sidewalks, sewers, infrastructure items including equipment towns use.

That is what I mean when I say things should be ran like a business. Running something like a business doesn't mean running it as if profit is to be made.
    But then people complain about surpluses and reserves. It really needs to be one or the other.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You need to explain why surpluses and reserves can save money in the long run. Most people would understand why a reserve was being saved if it was earmarked specifically for a purpose.

I bet even someone like FMD would say "You know that isn't a bad way to do that" if the practice was explained correctly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information