Thread: New Housing Court, I thought we had one

New Housing Court, I thought we had one

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...aster-20140407

The Town of Lancaster will soon be introducing its own Housing Court.

Town Justice Nicholas L. LoCicero, a Democratic appointment by the Town Board to the judicial post last December, presented his plan to the board Monday during its work session, and it seemed to go over well.

The new court is expected to start later this month and will be held every third Thursday of the month. The new court, which does not require approval by the Town Board, is believed to be the first time the town has had a formal Housing Court.

“I feel that keeping up the housing quality of the housing stock in the Town of Lancaster is very important, and the sooner we do this, the better it is for the town,” LoCicero said in a memo to the board dated Monday.

Is this indeed a new court; a formal court; a charge that former Town Justices were not doing their job in enforcing housing code violation; a new tough sheriff in town that is going to clean up a mess left by others; or just the formal opening of a campaign by Mr. LoCicero to get elected to a Town Justice seat he now holds by virtue of being appointed to fill a vacated Justice seat.

Mr. LoCicero declares that he will have more say in addressing housing code violations than he did when he was town prosecutor. He declares that this is a judicial matter and does not involve the legislative branch (town board). Yet he felt the need to appear at the town board work session and ask for their support. And, the town board Democrats were all aglow with his report and praised him for his innovation and toughness.

Fortunately, BN also gave mention in their report to the credentials of Jeremy Colby, LoCicero’s opponent in the coming election. How coincidental that LoCicero appeared at the town board work session the same day the Republican Party issued a press release on the candidate they formally endorsed last week to oppose LoCicero this coming November.

Press Release

Lancaster, NY – Lancaster Republican Committee Chairman Robert Matthews today announced that the Committee has endorsed Jeremy Colby for Town Justice.

“Jeremy Colby is one of the best and brightest individuals in the Town of Lancaster and I am proud to stand here today to announce the endorsement of Jeremy Colby for Lancaster Town Justice,” said Chairman Matthews. “Our community deserves a smart, accomplished individual to serve as our Town Justice and I’m confident that Jeremy will serve us well.”

Jeremy Colby is an Attorney at Law with an active law practice serving the community for over a decade. Colby’s areas of practice include Federal, municipal and complex litigation and has represented school districts and municipalities. Colby recently served as the Erie County Attorney, where he fought for taxpayers and promoted efficiency. Colby was also employed by the United States District Court for the Western District of New York for years as a confidential law clerk to Judge John T. Elfvin. Jeremy said that, “I look forward to earning the support of voters in the upcoming election.”

Housing Court: Because the landlord broke his own window, punched holes in his own screen, smeared grease over his own stove, scattered garbage over his own property, ran into his own garage door, and purposely broke the railing for his own stairs.

Lancaster is in trouble.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Very typical here in Lancaster. Past Dem elected officials and building department never carried through with the housing court in the past. Now, they make it look like this is some new discovery!
    Town Justice Nick Locicero is most likely campaigning. Just in case you are serious with your new venture Mr. Locicero, I have a house you can start with. I am sure you know it well. Time to do something about the abandoned house on BQR Airport property located on Pavement Road. The FAA ordered airport owners to demolish this house a few years ago yet it still stands while Jeff Simme just ignores the situation. Then again, Jeff Simme has always allowed the airport to do as they please.... makes one wonder why.

Jeremy Colby has all the right credentials to win the Justice seat, in addition to his credentials he is a person of integrity with respect towards the residents of Lancaster or any person he encounters. I am impressed with his mannerism, he is a fine young gentlemen. I wish him all the luck in his campaign race as Town Justice.

For decades the town has been stagnated by the "good ole' boys club" that lacked innovation and the right to enforce justice. With new blood in the court system that is not a party player system, I hope that *justice* will be served according to our town/county/state laws. I hope that permit violations are enforced properly and not shoved under the carpet as it had been in the past.

Nick LoCierero has served in various positions and is not well received by the people. His mannerism is abrupt, disrespectful and arrogant. He is an all time party player and he will do whatever he is told to do. He does not think as an independent thinker. What I walk away with is how he treats people and how he plays the game. It is time for Lancaster to reclaim their town and vote out all the old time players. We need to make a difference -- the people need to stand up and VOTE THEM OUT!!!!!

I also know of a series of houses I believe they are called row houses on Broadway. They are red brick buildings near Central Avenue, what a mess -- Sir I hope you can really address the violations. Action speaks louder than words.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    The Town of Lancaster will soon be introducing its own Housing Court.
    I honestly had not heard that were housing issues in the town. I have heard of issues in the village

Georgia L Schlager

why have one when you can have two?

kinda like how the US has a Congress, and that pesky little 'Super Congress'
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Thread Information