Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Demise

Windows XP Demise

I've got XP, as does 30% of PC users around, support ends on April 8th, what's the best tactic to take? (My PC is 9 years old, only 40 gig HD, 2.28 process (Intel), get a mew desktop (MUST be a desktop)??
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't care for Windows 8 really.. I'm happy with windows 7. News machines are really not priced all that bad and definitely snappier than what you currently have. Drop an SSD drive into a new machine and it's fast...

Thanks Rez, I'll hit tigerdirect.com or take a ride to Bestbuy in the Galleria Mall...
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

Rez, I originally wanted to erase my entire PC hard drive, then install my Linux Ubuntu disc, but my wife's part time real estate website doesn't work with Linux? I tried Linux on my laptop, I really started liking it, but my wife again had problems, so I had to remove it...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Linux is fine for some people. I'm still selling machines here and there with windows 7 because some people just do not like 8. I don't. I like my start button with the programs listed etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Linux is fine for some people. I'm still selling machines here and there with windows 7 because some people just do not like 8. I don't. I like my start button with the programs listed etc.
    I already have toyed/played" with 8.1, yes it's not Win7, but after digging around, everything's there, definitely a learning curve, but I'm starting to want to catch up on computing again...

my mom had an xp machine that needed replacement. I bought her a refurbished hp7900 with win 7 pro on it from NewEgg for $120.

The grandkid's computer in my house had xp on it. I bought of copy of windows 8 pro for $89 from NewEgg for that computer.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    my mom had an xp machine that needed replacement. I bought her a refurbished hp7900 with win 7 pro on it from NewEgg for $120.

The grandkid's computer in my house had xp on it. I bought of copy of windows 8 pro for $89 from NewEgg for that computer.
    Thanks nogods, I'd completely forgot about NewEgg's site!

I don't care for Windows 8 really.. I'm happy with windows 7. News machines are really not priced all that bad and definitely snappier than what you currently have. Drop an SSD drive into a new machine and it's fast...
    +1... I really do not like Windows 8. Windows 7 is working rather nicely for me. I am using windows 8 on this lap top am using but I installed "Classic Start Menu" to make it behave more like Windows 7.

You can continue to use Windows XP... it should be rather mature security wise right now anyways.

newegg.com is an excellent place to buy from, I have used them for many years now.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Sacrificing a lot for a start button, huh?

Look, Win 7 is great but it's behind the times. The future is cloud storage, combined accounts and apps instead of full fledged programs. Not to mention updated drivers, better security and a modern GUI.
    As far as XP's demise. Worst OS ever. Not to mention the ugliest and least secure
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Sacrificing a lot for a start button, huh?

Look, Win 7 is great but it's behind the times. The future is cloud storage, combined accounts and apps instead of full fledged programs. Not to mention updated drivers, better security and a modern GUI.
    As far as XP's demise. Worst OS ever. Not to mention the ugliest and least secure
    The future...

Cloud storage is fine for those who want it or need. There are countless people who don't. In my opinion an app = program and a program = app. I don't know anyone who is having an issue with un-updated drivers and windows 7. Have you come across that?

What does modern GUI mean? you mean different. I have countless clients that use their computers as tools for one or two functions. There is absolutely no need for cloud anything or a "modern GUI" for the purpose of what they use their computers for.

I was close to commenting, but I'll just keep my Apple comments to myself =.

Hipkat....

If windows 8 is modern GUI we sure have moved backwards... wow -- a bunch of square boxes, so innovative. Cloud storage is a just a fancy name for online storage. I have been using that (totally free) for many years, but I would NEVER consider that a backup, just a convenient way to share and access files remotely when on the road for the "common man." I run three nas4free servers (well really 2 are freenas). I port forward the IP's and can access them remotely too. I have multiple layers of backup on Hard Disks in two different buildings, that is reliable backup. No operating system does that for you, only a plan, and one that you must stick with and use timely. So phooey on CLOUD this or that. Nothing new, only a good tool dummied down for the common man.

Your comment on XP perhaps shows your ability. XP was a fine operating system, I used it very reliably for many years on dozens of computers on my two different networks. It was Vista that was the dog.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I was close to commenting, but I'll just keep my Apple comments to myself =.
    Hmmm.... I wish I could be typing on my Macbook pro brick piece of junk right now.... do not get me going on that nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Hipkat....

If windows 8 is modern GUI we sure have moved backwards... wow -- a bunch of square boxes, so innovative. Cloud storage is a just a fancy name for online storage. I have been using that (totally free) for many years, but I would NEVER consider that a backup, just a convenient way to share and access files remotely when on the road for the "common man." I run three nas4free servers (well really 2 are freenas). I port forward the IP's and can access them remotely too. I have multiple layers of backup on Hard Disks in two different buildings, that is reliable backup. No operating system does that for you, only a plan, and one that you must stick with and use timely. So phooey on CLOUD this or that. Nothing new, only a good tool dummied down for the common man.

Your comment on XP perhaps shows your ability. XP was a fine operating system, I used it very reliably for many years on dozens of computers on my two different networks. It was Vista that was the dog.
    And that's great. I've always said that for people who use computers more for programming, etc should stick with Win7, nor did I ever say the cluod was for storage or backups. Obviously it's for accessing files remotely, which is what it's intended for. I have used online storage for years too; Dev-host, Mediafire, dropbox, etc.

As for XP, junk. Ugly. Bulky. Resource hog. good OS shouldn't need multiple AV and anti-adware programs running, nor should it freeze up the browser when left unattended and open for long periods of time. Win 7, unlike win 8 isn't able to sync desktop info/settings across multiple devices, for one thing so it's not just about the GUI and I just wonder how many of you who like the old start menu ever bothered to clean it up, or do you click on All Programs and have a menu bigger than the screen open, totally unorganized, full of shortcuts for text files, etc.

Horrible looking. THIS is what you miss??

I always organized my Start Menus into approx 8 folders, which I never saw anyone else ever do
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information