Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Certain songs - you can remember the first time you heard them

Certain songs - you can remember the first time you heard them

I was at the movies with a few friends - watching The Breakfast Club. I was 19.
    I was with my guy friends, but it was one of the rare times that I actually had a girlfriend, and, can remember thinking "I should be here with her, instead of a bunch of dudes."
    I can remember liking the movie a lot - of course, not realizing that it was actually a future classic that we were watching.
    So, this song comes on during the closing credits - and we didn't leave the theater because the song was so good. I had no idea who it was; for some reason, I thought it was David Bowie.

Becl - Loser

In my late 20's, driving home from work around 6, or 7:00. It must have been winter, cause I know it was dark.
    I was only about a minute from home and this song comes on the radio. The slide guitar, with the drum machines, and the nonsense lyrics was like nothing had heard before.
    Where I lived at the time, you often had to spend 10 minutes looking for parking - but that night, there was a spot right in front of the apartment. So, I listened to to the final 2/3 of the song while parked.
    The next day I went to Tower Records, and got the CD.

Beck-loser - For more funny movies, click here

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    I was with my guy friends, but it was one of the rare times that I actually had a girlfriend, and, can remember thinking "I should be here with her, instead of a bunch of dudes."
    I can remember liking the movie a lot - of course, not realizing that it was actually a future classic that we were watching.
    So, this song comes on during the closing credits - and we didn't leave the theater because the song was so good. I had no idea who it was; for some reason, I thought it was David Bowie.
    I loved this style of '80s music. Simple Minds, Psychedelic Furs, The Smiths, The Cure, The Cult, Talk Talk, Ultravox...

This is one of my fave all time movies & love the song also , it's on my MP3 player & also on CD so I can play it in the truck/car........
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

2 Songs come to mind......

The song "Thank-You" by Led Zeppelin.... I always told the girl I went out with in HS that song was going to be our wedding song. (I know, young dumb and...)

The song "Always something there to remind me". Can't remember who sang it off the top of my head.... I probably listened to that song 1000 times when we broke up.....

Quote Originally Posted by Enough View Post

The song "Always something there to remind me". Can't remember who sang it off the top of my head.... I probably listened to that song 1000 times when we broke up.....
    Failing memory caused me to Google this "just to be sure" but I should have trusted my first guess...

Naked Eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy View Post
    Failing memory caused me to Google this "just to be sure" but I should have trusted my first guess...

Naked Eyes.
    You're right!!!!!

It still sucks to hear that song after all these years!

I guess I can throw in the song "The Dance" by Garth Brooks....

My wife and I had been dating for a while but we danced to that song at a party and for some reason I always remember that moment..

Don't know why, but do...

Certain songs - you can remember the first time you heard them
    Sometimes for me, I remember the first time I heard the song, but other times I remember the first time the song meant something to me. Like that Beck song. I actually didn't really like it the first time I heard it (and don't really remember when that was) but a month or so after it came out and I was half-drunk in the back seat of a car with a bunch of friends and that song came on the radio and we all started singing it.. I loved the song ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy View Post
    I loved this style of '80s music. Simple Minds, Psychedelic Furs, The Smiths, The Cure, The Cult, Talk Talk, Ultravox...
    And I thought we were a dying breed.
    In my office I have Serious sp? radio,,, have it on First Wave,, man that brings back memories, but my buddhist philosophy keeps me from wishing for the simpler fun filled days of the past. My mortality becomes increasingly evident.

yeah love the music..and the times......

gotta love Morrissey as well. Spandau, ABC, TT. when I was a construction inspector my crew would call that stuff fa**ot music but I really liked it, despite my heterosexuality.

good thread rising!

Was a metal head during the sixties and seventies.
    Got into new wave and punk in the eighties.

I was a rep for A&M and Columbia records during my college days.
    This required travel all over the state as well as twice monthly trips to Company headquarters in NYC.

When traveling back to my pad on Conesus Lake.
    Trying to find the few FM stations I could receive as I made my way up Rte 17.
    There was one song you would hear over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEDNY View Post
    Was a metal head during the sixties and seventies.
    Got into new wave and punk in the eighties.

This required travel all over the state as well as twice monthly trips to Company headquarters in NYC.

When traveling back to my pad on Conesus Lake.
    Trying to find the few FM stations I could receive as I made my way up Rte 17.
    There was one song you would hear over and over.

You know I remember this song , the original version , which was slow & before Todd got "weird" looking.....I liked the original much better.........
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

Just thought I'd post this song for your Saturday morning digestion help.........I was in love with this gal , Pat Boone's daughter Debbie was a FOX , problem was they played this song SO MUCH , they just beat it into the ground where if you heard it , you just wanted to beat the hell out of someone standing near you............If they wouldn't have played it SO much , it would have been a classic..........

1985 - Living in San Antonio, TX, I heard a song come on the Radio that caught my attention, because it was so different. When I heard who it was, I immediately flashed to a 1/2 page story about up and coming bands in Circus magazine, where I had first seen this uniquely named group.

Metallica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEDNY View Post

Did you know Colin Hilbourne?
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Did you know Colin Hilbourne?
    Never heard of him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information