Thread: Katrina Disaster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Katrina Disaster

Michael Chertoff is now being beat up by Tim Russert on his show over the handling of the Katrina disaster.

Last week it was Congressional hearings featuring Brown and Chertoff.

Why have Nagin the Mayor and whatshername the governor pretty much gotten a pass by the press on the conduct of the gov in the aftermath?
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

I will answer that with a question.
    Can you say......
    Liberal Democrats?

What a shocker. LHardy turns it into partisan bashing.

Maybe it's because we don't vote for the city government of New Orleans or the state government of Louisiana?

People in Orange County, California can't complain about how Buffalo or Erie County are run. But they can complain - should they choose to - about how federal agencies are involved here.

See the difference?

Treachery made a monster out of me

Is it, rather, that cities, counties or states are now anachronistic political states and the national unit is the only one with relevance?

Originally posted by biker
    Is it, rather, that cities, counties or states are now anachronistic political states and the national unit is the only one with relevance?
    How do you figure that?

By the way, Chertoff is head of the nation's homeland security -- he shouldn't be asked tough questions?

I thought the most interesting part of the show was when Russert asked Chertoff about the Bush Administration wanting to give port control to an Arab company. I loved it when Chertoff assured the nation that there are many many safeguards -- but we can't know about them due to national security.

Yes, I feel much better now....

I didn't say he shouldn't be asked tough questions.

I asked why the Mayor or Governor were not.

biker;
    I'm certain you didn't expect anything less.
    These two have been given a pass from day one.
    My question would have to be if it where a Dem controlled Fed and a Republican state. Would the Republicans get a passs in the media?
    I do believe you are correct in the ever growing demand upon the Fed to handle all aspects of our lives. Leaving no seperation of state powers and authority.
    Someone forgot to teach that in government class with the last two generations.

I think both of them have been asked those questions in the past, although I don't know if it was on Meet the Press.

I suspect Chertoff was on Meet The Press because of the unflattering congressional report on the responce to Katrina. Both the mayor and gov got some stinging criticism too in that report, but Chertoff is of special interest to the public now because of the far-reaching importance of the agency he heads.

There is also the fact that the congressional committee that investigated the Katrina response was dominated by Republicans, and many had not nice things to say about The Administration. Interesting.....

Here are the other important questions about New Orleans and the inept government they have.

1- Has Louisiana ever experienced horrific hurricanes in the past?
    Ans. - Yes over 100 since the year 1722. Most of the hurricanes occurring in New Orleans.
    Do you think they should have known what to do by now?

2- Has the levy ever been breached in the past?
    Ans. - Yes
    I just read an article in Popular Science from 1923 talking of the funding for the levy and how they worried about the city below sea level. Even then, they felt it unsafe for a city below sea level. With a rich history of disasters, how can they not be prepared?

The State of Louisiana should not need anyone to tell it how to operate a disaster plan; unless of course the state failed to plan. That is very difficult to believe. They simply refused to act in the best interest of their people and the Louisiana Governments should be held responsible.

Originally posted by LHardy
    These two have been given a pass from day one.
    Kinda like the same pass the alcholic (you no that guy with the dui's) got on the "family values" thing during the election?

Sorry, couldnt help myself, carryon with your dem bashing.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    I suspect Chertoff was on Meet The Press because of the unflattering congressional report on the responce to Katrina.
    Is there ever a congressional hearing which is nothing other than a grand-standing opportunity for elective politicians, regalrdless of party?

I thought of an an analogy we could all relate to:

A Congressional inquiry is like having your conduct as a parent being "examined" by a committee composed of your teenage children and their friends.

With the power to jail you. And they get to write the report.

How many of you would like to go through that? How many of us would come out looking bad in that process?

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    There is also the fact that the congressional committee that investigated the Katrina response was dominated by Republicans, and many had not nice things to say about The Administration. Interesting.....
    See my comment above about the immaturity of Congressional "investigations."

Add on to this the inability of the Republicans to wage the type of unceasing partisan trench warfare which is necessary to effectively wield power in the legislative side of government.

Democrats realize this and are better at it. Newt Gingrich was an unusual Republican who realized this, savored the battle and usually won at it.

Congressional hearings are not about "finding the truth." They are about affixing blame-----to the other side. The Repubs don't realize this. The Dems could just sit back and watch the Repubs beat themselves up with this Katrina hearing.

The Mayor and the Governor realized quickly that the diaspora ofhundreds of thousands of of poor New Orleans residents throughout the country may have created a tectonic shift in party politics in Louisiana: the unthinkable may happen and Louisiana may become a Republican state.

Ray Nagin will be the first to fall from power as a result of this shift. He is becoming increasingly desparate to reconstitute his power base. Witness the fiasco of his "chocolate city" comments.

I've got a plan that may help him retain his job. He ought to push the boundaries of absentee ballots, but with a twist.

I suggest that former citizens be allowed to vote on absentee ballots, with the length of time for eligibility on a sliding scale based on race: the "Blacker" you are, the longer the period of eligibility.

For a state that gave us concepts like "octaroon", this should come naturally.

Thread Information