Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ny state should be legalizing marijuana

Ny state should be legalizing marijuana

The stupid federal law against marijuana needs to go. It's less harmful than alcohol and it's suppose to be a state by state issue.
    If California legalized it(which probably isn't gonna happen because of the stupid feds) do you think ny should follow?
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

NYS would slap a 99% sales tax on it.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    The stupid federal law against marijuana needs to go. It's less harmful than alcohol and it's suppose to be a state by state issue.
    If California legalized it(which probably isn't gonna happen because of the stupid feds) do you think ny should follow?

Even though it may be a state to state issue, if the FED doesn't allow it, groups like the FBI and DEA could raid pot stores whenever they wanted. This is a huge problem with the legal pot shops in CA.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Even though it may be a state to state issue, if the FED doesn't allow it, groups like the FBI and DEA could raid pot stores whenever they wanted. This is a huge problem with the legal pot shops in CA.
    Yes. I know. They need to repeal the federal laws before any state can legalize it.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    How much money is law enforcement FBI, DEA, STATE, local police, border & customs, and the military. spending a year to fight drugs? How many years have this been going on?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
    How much money is law enforcement FBI, DEA, STATE, local police, border & customs, and the military. spending a year to fight drugs? How many years have this been going on?
    Exactly. By legalizing them they can tax it and bring in money instead of spending money.

The war on drugs has been lost.

I think we should legalize prostitution too. They would be able to pay taxes and pay for medical insurance. If something goes wrong we would be able to sue them..
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Quote Originally Posted by PickOranges View Post
    I think we should legalize prostitution too. They would be able to pay taxes and pay for medical insurance. If something goes wrong we would be able to sue them..
    I agree with you there

Quote Originally Posted by PickOranges View Post
    how true but then what do you do with all my k-9 friends that sniff drugs.
    Last edited by cheekman; August 27th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.

One major hurdle to relegalizing drugs has been touched in this thread the subject of $$$.

The war on drugs is a huge business in 2003 the feds spent 19 Billion on the war on drugs and states spend about double that amount. That is a lot of police, prison guards, construction workers to build the prisons, lawyers and prosecutors, and other jobs. Not to mention the erosion of the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 8th amendments to the US Constitution. Another perk that the drug warriors love is the seizure of suspected proceeds from drug sales they can take whatever they think is proceeds from drug sales and you have to prove you got the money from "legal" sources (who cares about the idea of innocent until proven guilty) or the government just takes the property and charges the property with a crime (ever see $34,000 defend itself in court and no this is not a joke).

Another hurdle is that the people who think that drugs should be legalized are forced to pay for propaganda that puts the message out there that drugs are bad mmmkay through the ONDCP. So if you are morally opposed to the drug war you are forced through taxation to fund it.
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

Quote Originally Posted by Slim.fsp View Post
    One major hurdle to relegalizing drugs has been touched in this thread the subject of $$$.

The war on drugs is a huge business in 2003 the feds spent 19 Billion on the war on drugs and states spend about double that amount. That is a lot of police, prison guards, construction workers to build the prisons, lawyers and prosecutors, and other jobs. Not to mention the erosion of the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 8th amendments to the US Constitution. Another perk that the drug warriors love is the seizure of suspected proceeds from drug sales they can take whatever they think is proceeds from drug sales and you have to prove you got the money from "legal" sources (who cares about the idea of innocent until proven guilty) or the government just takes the property and charges the property with a crime (ever see $34,000 defend itself in court and no this is not a joke).

Another hurdle is that the people who think that drugs should be legalized are forced to pay for propaganda that puts the message out there that drugs are bad mmmkay through the ONDCP. So if you are morally opposed to the drug war you are forced through taxation to fund it.
    spot on there Slim,, it is huge business, and an absolute failure as far as enforcement is concerned.

This is gonna sound kind of weird. No drug dealer wants drugs legalized. They like having their untaxed income, some even get social services.

We wouldn't have a mexican drug cartel if drugs were legal.

Legal weed a tenent of the modern Whig Party

If you were to visit www.modernwhig.org, you'd see that legalizing pot is part of the national modern whig platform, "regulated and heavily taxed by the government". A few of thas state committees have already decided NOT to inlclude that in their state plaforms ( Ohio and Florida) , we havent had a debate amongst ourselves here in NY yet, but I am torn....

Intuitively, Getting Uncle Sam involved in "regulating and heavily taxing" pot simply seems wrong. I dont think it will " cure our financial ills" as many espouse.

Second, a quick and dirty, field expedient test for being stoned would be required. I dont mean a urine test or a blood test, or a hair follicle test that would indicate I smoked weed 20+ years ago while at University, but a simple test to see if you've smoked weed int he last hour.

The legalization of pot, to my mind's eye, seems to be a personal responsibility issue. Meaning that it is symbolic of citizens gaining back some lost freedom, but at the same time, we have to prove to be responsible with these new found freedoms. I.e, I don't want my kids' bus driver "flying a bird" before she drives the bus in the morning! We'd have to treat it like hard whiskey, from an enforcement point of view.

And I just don't cotton to heavy regulation and taxation. This is like growing tomatoes in your backyard and selling them at the farmers market. The taxation comes when it is sold ( and I would like to see the local sales tax doubled on weed sales with local law enforcement getting part of the vig), and on your income tax when you declare the income on the weed you've grown. I can't see why we'd make it more overly complicated. Growers licenses, sure, for more commercial operations, but not much more "regulation".

Anyway, its not anywhere near close to a front burner issue with NY Whigs,( and if it where we'd be labled fringe nuts and discounted) but I am curious and look forward to the point where the state committee can actually have a policy debate about it. I'd like to ask a few more LEOs what they think.

One of the last LEOS I asked said, " Hey, I'm going to get an ounce for my retirement party!". I kid you not. Personally, I wouldn't mind being about to smoke a joint here and there, without fear of losing my job due to drug testing. Also would prfer to buy it from a local licensed grower , than the same dude that sells cocaine illegally.

BTW,. I have often thought that one main reason weed may be a "gateway" drug is simply its distribution. You have to go "underground" to buy weed, and its often the same circle that nastier harder drugs are sold in. Yet if I could buy a pouch from my neighbor, it would be an entirely different scenario and the "gateway" aspect, imho, would be over. Additionalyy, by making it legal, yet enforcing underage sales penalties ( like you lose your growers/distributors license FOR GOOD), I think we'd actually mitigate kids smoking weed. One thing I'll say from personal expereince, weed is not good for the unstructured mind, or for those youth and others that are trying to decide on a life path. A 48 yr old successful businessperson is one thing, a confused 16 yr old kid is quite another.

Lastly, I would be in favor of a "homegrown" provision, where you can grow it here on US soil, but we'll still cap your ass for trying to sneak it ( or anything else) across the border.

To reiterate, I view it as returning some freedoms back to the citizens, but we must ensure we also act responsibly with our new freedoms. So its part of a much bigger "master plan" of rolling back the encroachment of government ( which saves beuacoup $$$$ btw), and also of fostering greater personal responsibility amongst our citizens.

These are my opinions and mine alone, and not those of the NY Whig Party. Yet, I like to hear more of your thoughts on it.
    Last edited by FREEDOM ONE; July 3rd, 2009 at 07:40 AM.
    Gene Chaas
    Coordinator, NY Modern Whig Party
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org
    With the power of soul, anything is possible. - JMH

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by FREEDOM ONE View Post
    ....I'd like to ask a few more LEOs what they think.

One of the last LEOS I asked said, " Hey, I'm going to get an ounce for my retirement party!"....
    I get my weed from a LEO.

The drug war is a failure

Alcohol is the biggest drug problem in the US

I am for its legalization

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information