Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parents Sue School After Son's Suicide

Lightbulb Parents Sue School After Son's Suicide

Quote:CBS News :It's heartbreaking for any parent to learn that their child is being bullied at school. But for one family in Ohio, the taunting turned tragic when their 17-year-old son committed suicide. Now the parents are suing the school, claiming it is responsible for his death.

================================================== =

I guess these parents have a "good case" - shouldn't the school have saved this boy?

The parents aren't responsible - or are they ?

Is the SRO responsible?

What about the teachers and guidance councilors ?

Who should be responsible ?

I dont believe they are - but !

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Unregistered
    Eric Mohat hid from his family and friends that he was constantly being tormented by bullies. His parents, Jan and Bill Mohat, believe it was a single comment in math class in March of 2007 that finally prompted Eric to take his life.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4925059.shtml
    In the article, the parents claim the school was aware of the bullying, yet Eric hid the fact that he was being bullied from his parents and friends.

Sounds like a frivolous suit to me.

Does this story have a local twist?

I'm not criticizing, just wondering why it's in the "Lancaster" thread?

Well its hard to say if the school did in fact play a part; I know a lot of times teachers look the other way - or do what these teachers did, move the bullies and do not report it. If you have to move a child because of bullying, then I think it should be reported - its as bad if not worse than a punch in the face, which would have been reported. NOW IM NOT SAYING ALL TEACHERS TURN THE OTHER WAY - please undertsand this.

If they knew there was a problem and did not report it - then they did a diservice to this young person who was struggling with being a teen as all of them do, and this added to his sad death.

I dont want to hear about all that anti-bullying preaching in schools - a lot kids from middle school to high school are just plain mean - its bred in them - its a part of growing up. Some of these kids are vicous, and no program is going to stop them from making comments to others.
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

What does one do when it's the teacher that's the bully? Where is the recourse?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

It's so sad that Eric ended his life. I'm not a big lawsuit person, but I think some criminal charges should be pressed against the bullies.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

I can not think of anything sadder than child taking his or her own life.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    I can not think of anything sadder than child taking his or her own life.
    I can't either. I feel so bad for the parents. They are left with a lot of "what ifs" and "only ifs".
    I feel bad for the child. What a heavy burden of hopelessness and helplessness to stop all the bullying.

Sobering.
    Makes sense what his parents said that the Norway system to stop bullying that the school adopted doesn't work in our culture. Makes sense.

Also makes sense that the "tough guys," the jock clique and the other "cool kids" picked on Eric among others and of course, felt no pain upon learning of the poor kid's death.

From what I remember about high school (Bennett), its nearly impossible to ignore bullies if you're not popular and I bet that most of the faculty took the jock's side. Human nature.
    Yes. A lot of assumptions but its the nature of our species and especially OUR culture ot prey upon the weak and helpless. Because its "fun" and "easy."

I'm assuming that what was in that short interview are the facts and that the school for obvious rea$on$ will admit NO guilt at this stage.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

???????????????????

Quote Mesue:What does one do when it's the teacher that's the bully? Where is the recourse?

Teachers are over burdened - admin is afraid of Lawsuits - students have no rights according to school officials.

We are criminalizing children because we cant or don't have the time to help them. Everyone looks for someone to blame.

• What does one do if the teacher is one of the bullies?
    • Is Admin obligated to report that to the SRO or proper authorities?
    Do parents have to be notified if teachers or Admin suspect or are told of these type actions?

-

Define teacher bullying. Does this mean a teacher is actually physically or mentally abusing a child? Or, is a teacher being strict and demanding discipline and attention so the class could get an education like that’s what they are there for?

Define student rights. Does it mean that students can act up any way they want in class? Dress up any way they want? If not they run to mommy and daddy and yell they are being abused.

Define parent responsibility in today’s world. Is it to protect their children at all costs because that’s their job and the easier path than doling out discipline and/or tough love.

Hey, I may bitch about the spending practices of the school district and what teachers earn and get in benefits, but I also understand what many of them go through with the kids of today. The police are brought in today at great expense because the school district is afraid of lawsuits and bad publicity when they attempt to use discipline or suspend students.

It’s today’s world. In my day we would not pull the crap they do today because we would get our asses kicked by the school and then by our parents. That was then, today is today; just saying…

Hey, what if the SRO officer is a bully? Or, if the SRO officer is pals with the bullies or hards and looks the other way when the crap is hitting the fan?

Talking My questions are !

• What does one do if the teacher is one of the bullies? Is there a procedure for students to file complaints?
    • Is Admin obligated to report that to the SRO or proper authorities? Self explanatory!
    Do parents have to be notified if teachers or Admin suspect or are told of these type actions?

Not seeing much of a answer on these questions. As far as student rights - I received a answer from LHS Admin on that one, "We can pull them out of class and question them for any reason, at any time, without telling their parents why and we don't have to tell parents the outcome of anything we investigate. Call the School Board or your lawyer - there is nothing you can do about it." Thats their answer to the above questions.

Now please don't dance around and ask for names and such - this is a conversation - not a legal inquest. There is no slander or malice here. I agree and approve of the old ways - you didn't have Cops,Cameras and all these lawsuits back then either.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    • What does one do if the teacher is one of the bullies? Is there a procedure for students to file complaints?
    • Is Admin obligated to report that to the SRO or proper authorities? Self explanatory!

Not seeing much of a answer on these questions. As far as student rights - I received a answer from LHS Admin on that one, "We can pull them out of class and question them for any reason, at any time, without telling their parents why and we don't have to tell parents the outcome of anything we investigate. Call the School Board or your lawyer - there is nothing you can do about it." Thats their answer to the above questions.
    Hey 4248,

Even in my day, eons ago, I had a teacher in high school that couldn't teach for crap and blamed us students for being dumb. As a group we went to the priciples office to complain. He spoke to the teacher. The next day the teacher entered the room, took off his collar (a priest teacher in a private school) and challenged us to a fight and to kick our asses should we ever do that again. We sucked it up and moved on.

And isn't the key word "investigate" a situation? When there is no outcome, no punishment administered, why the sensitive position on the school having to notify the parents? And if the student was found not guilty of anything, but merely questioned, how were his rights violated.

I got punished numerous times in school with various means of punishment administered depending on the sverity of my acting up. They were deserved and I was lucky the school didn't tell my parents because they would have kicked my ass in as well.

It pisses me off no end to think that we are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a school police state because parents won't let the schools do their jobs without fear of lawsuits and having to deal with touchy/feely kids with unmerited rights and with parents who shirk their parental duties. And lets look at a few rare instances of abnormal events and blame the school system for everything wrong.

Kids will be kids and get into trouble. They should be disciplined and/or punished. It's time parents stopped wiping they're asses every time they get in a jam.

"Unmerited Rights"

First, you nor I speak for the schools or parents, agreed - we are just conversing.

And isn't the key word "investigate" a situation? When there is no outcome, no punishment administered, why the sensitive position on the school having to notify the parents? And if the student was found not guilty of anything, but merely questioned, how were his rights violated.

I guess then you are saying, in your opinion - That if a student is accused of being a bully or a teacher is accused by a student - no one at the school has to inform the SRO or the parents of students questioned or involved! ?

Is there any system to document the reasons associated with the "Investigation"- whether found guilty or innocent - shouldn't there be a paper trail ? !
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It pisses me off no end to think that we are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a school police state because parents won't let the schools do their jobs without fear of lawsuits and having to deal with touchy/feely kids with unmerited rights and with parents who shirk their parental duties. And lets look at a few rare instances of abnormal events and blame the school system for everything wrong.

Again, we agree for the most part - but please explain "Unmerited rights" for kids(students) ? ! What "Rights" are deemed "unmerited" because of ones age ? !

Kids will be kids and get into trouble. They should be disciplined and/or punished. It's time parents stopped wiping they're asses every time they get in a jam.[/quote]

I Agree 100% - with your last sentence - I think !

4248: You are absolutely correct when you state we do not speak for the schools. We are sharing opinions.

I do believe that the school does not have to reveal what took place at an investigation type meeting where there is no basis for action. If bullying is involved, well yes the parent of the child being bullied should be notified to prevent the tragedy first mentioned in this thread from happening. However, how do you know the SRO officer was not notified to keep an eye out for further bullying events? Is he expected to shadow the accused or victim all day? How do you know there is no paper trail by the school?

If a child reports bullying to the school and the school has no evidence to indicate its taking place, are they to take the complainants report at face value and reprimand the accused? Or should they be allowed to perform an investigation, take the stories, and warn both kids that they better be telling the truth or that the bullying should stop (if indeed it was present). Why should they have to contact the parents for a “maybe” incident?

As to “unmerited” rights, I believe children have two rights when speaking on school rights, namely, the right of opportunity to get an education and to get that education in a safe environment, free from physical abuse.

Students do not have a right to maltreat teachers, to express themselves inappropriately (dress, language substance abuse) or disrupt others from getting an education. They have no constitutional right to expect my respect for their acting inappropriately because they have been pampered and have had their self-esteem inflated undeservedly by parents who will defend them without cause.

The schools are shirking their responsibilities because of today’s self-serving, litigious society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information