Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm way happy with the 100% assessment or very very misleading

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I'm way happy with the 100% assessment or very very misleading

I'm way happy with the 100% assessment or very very misleading or just wrong.

So how can the math be SO far off or will this be approximately our new taxes to live in our home?

Shows a value of $4209 for 2013 but I'm pretty sure we paid just above $5400......how can the approximation be SO FAR off.

Now it show's approximate tax liability at 100% for 2014 to be approximately $3,890 which I would be very happy with.

Everyone i've talked to so far, about all of a dozen folks, have an approximate reduction in their tax estimate, who the heck is the poor guy that's getting an increase?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well if they approximate that our new property taxes will be $3890 I'll see a savings of $1510. I'm told we paid ~ $5400. I can easily live with that. ~$5400 - $3890 = ~$1510

I even pulled out the handy calculator to double check

minus

equals

$1510.

I'm pretty sure my numbers are correct. I used a Sharp EL-5500III Calculator.

These things are awesome. They use the standard CR-2032 Lithium Battery.

http://www.promsoft.com/calcs/manual...ion_Manual.pdf

Over the next 15 years I'll put that $1510 into my savings and you know how compound interest works.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx

At a 7% rate of return with an initial investment for $1500 putting $1500 in each year... at the end of 15 years that will turn into $40,420!!

Unhappy

I am not happy this new assessment didn't help me it place the value of my home at the same level when I bought my house at in 2005. It didn't give me any amount of increased in value in fact it drop in value a bit I will never understand their reasoning. I do know if I want to sell my home I will never get the price I want because of this 100 percent assessment. All a home buyer needs to do is look up my homes real value and low ball my offer and force me or people like me to accept a lower offer. In my book this is a big screw you by the town.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    I am not happy this new assessment didn't help me it place the value of my home at the same level when I bought my house at in 2005. It didn't give me any amount of increased in value in fact it drop in value a bit I will never understand their reasoning. I do know if I want to sell my home I will never get the price I want because of this 100 percent assessment. All a home buyer needs to do is look up my homes real value and low ball my offer and force me or people like me to accept a lower offer. In my book this is a big screw you by the town.
    Well then go to the review board and ask them to please up the value of your house so you can pay more taxes so someday when you sell you can tell potential homebuyers that you're house is worth x amount according to the town. Then they will say ok, here's my offer, I don't care what you're assessed at. Board off assessment review is in May.

RES, it doesn't show the whole picture. Don't forget to include sewer districts, fire, lighting, library etc, that's why your totals are way off. The letter we got yesterday just shows the county and tax lines, all the other stuff is extra.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    Everyone i've talked to so far, about all of a dozen folks, have an approximate reduction in their tax estimate, who the heck is the poor guy that's getting an increase?
    I was thinking about your comment. That poor guy was paying less for the very same "services" other people are paying more for. Maybe now it will be more fair how services are paid for. Isn't the term "fair share" one of the issues the democratic party strives for?

I was just informed we paid $5395 last year for property taxes. So $5395 - $3890 = $1505 savings! $125 a month.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    RES, it doesn't show the whole picture. Don't forget to include sewer districts, fire, lighting, library etc, that's why your totals are way off. The letter we got yesterday just shows the county and tax lines, all the other stuff is extra.
    Doesn't say that on the mailer.

Says town taxes, county and school. I'm pretty sure we only get one bill called school taxes and one bill called town taxes that includes county. We do not get separate bills for sewer, fire, lighting etc..

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Doesn't say that on the mailer.

Says town taxes, county and school. I'm pretty sure we only get one bill called school taxes and one bill called town taxes that includes county. We do not get separate bills for sewer, fire, lighting etc..
    Look at your tax bill - it includes lots of taxes other than town and county. The mailer just includes Town, County, and the school tax. it's very clear. No other taxes are included in the mailer.

r just be happy they didn't put that Walmart on walden or your house would be worth less..
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

All they had to do before this was divide the assessment by .62 to get the town's opinion of FMV.

This move to FMV is in name only - it doesn't sound to me like they did any re-valuation - they just converted the 62% of fmv assessments to 100% of FMV.

That's a step in the right direction, but if they don't re-evaluate every property in the town, then it isn't really a 100% assessment.

The big question will be whether the county accepts the new assessments as being 100% and eliminates the assessment ratio adjustment for town of cheektowaga properties (the assessment ratio adjustment is used to prevent towns from low balling assessments and thereby unfairly decrease their resident's county taxes because the county uses the assessed values determined by the towns.)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Look at your tax bill - it includes lots of taxes other than town and county. The mailer just includes Town, County, and the school tax. it's very clear. No other taxes are included in the mailer.
    I know that. I want to know why they didn't send a letter with the proper amount. There would be no reason to leave items out. A bill is a bill to live in the town unless it is a "fee" if that makes sense. If it is a fee the fee should be the same for everyone if the fee supplies the same service to each property owner.

Either way our town has been ran not so well by the party that has controlled out town for years. . We have some of the highest property taxes in the nation and we have nothing here special to justify what we pay. At least that is how I look at it. When you are driving around just look. Don't look through the rose colored glasses the Cheektowaga Democratic party wears when doing their election material. Just look.

I
    Either way our town has been ran not so well by the party that has controlled out town for years. . We have some of the highest property taxes in the nation and we have nothing here special to justify what we pay. At least that is how I look at it. When you are driving around just look. Don't look through the rose colored glasses the Cheektowaga Democratic party wears when doing their election material. Just look.
    The majority of voters don't agree with your opinion. It's not viewing things through rose colored glasses, it's viewing things through the voice of We the People as expressed by the voters. Exactly what our founding fathers had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The majority of voters don't agree with your opinion. It's not viewing things through rose colored glasses, it's viewing things through the voice of We the People as expressed by the voters. Exactly what our founding fathers had in mind.
    Sorry you are only partly right, most voters are lazy bums, too lazy to do the study needed to determine who they even would vote for. There is a huge majority of people who are the opposite of what the progressives in NY really stand for. The progressives are in a huge minority so in truth you are very wrong, only right as to those who did vote, but not all potential voters.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

we have nothing here special to justify what we pay
    What? That hovercraft ain't chopped liver 'ya know. 8-)
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information