Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basements flood - sewers back up - Town Leaders approve more

Basements flood - sewers back up - Town Leaders approve more

More homes - more subdivisions are pouring water into storm drains and sewage into over loaded systems.

Homes all around the Town and Village of Lancaster suffer wet basements and sewer issues. Many don't complain - most just clean up and hope it doesn't happen again to soon.

Aurora street area has problems around the middle school area - issues persist all up and down Broadway near Penora back up to Central Ave has sewer issues.

Last December a family off of Aurora had all their children's Christmas gifts wrapped and stored in their basement. This was to be a special Christmas sense they just moved into their first home in Lancaster. When they bought the house there was no mention of water or sewer problems - why would they worry ?

Well, basically Lancaster has had these unsettled issues for over 70 years - yet never has there been a sustained Town wide effort to end them. Sewer lines are collapsing due to age and over use - waterlines are breaking because most older areas weren't built for the amount of demand now placed on them.

Subdivision after subdivision has been added - time and time again residents ask for help or responsible planning. They just keep building -

Ellicott Creek runs over its bank yearly - yet in recent years they approved a major sewer line buried under it. So far they have recently connected Cross Creeks subdivision on Pleasant View into that pipe. They are now building more home in the Pavement/Pleasant View area.

Now, consider this - the pipeline built to handle all the new and future sewage - the pipeline that was buried in a "Federally Protected Wetland" along Ellicott Creek - that pipe ads that sewage into a sewage pumping station on Pleasant View west of Stony Road. So not only does that station have to handle pumping sewage out of the low lying area of North Stony Road - it now has to draw the sewage out from the Ellicott Creek bed area connected to Cross Creeks subdivision.

Sorry, I almost forgot the family in the Village of Lancaster - all their Christmas gifts and newly purchased furnishings in the basement were damaged - Merry Christmas - Congratulations on your new home and welcome to Lancaster !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Amherst, is turning into Cheektowaga, Lancaster is the front runner for the new Amherst.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

The lay of the land in WNY is readily evident. Get a typo map and be educated where to own a home if you do not want water. End of discussion - no?
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

That would be and has been the Lancaster's Town Councilmen's answer for years - "You should have done your home work before you bought your home"

Studying topo maps is not something an average future home buyer would do or even think about.

Neither is researching the age a sewer lines or water pressure issues -

Most people assume the local Town Engineer, Planning Board and others who approve these subdivisions had already done these studies. They just assume a responsible Local Government would not allow homes to be built on questionable land - like wetlands - flood plains or creek tributaries.

Take a drive through the new Marrano subdivision off Walden Ave across from the Tool Ranch - drive north on the nice new paved road - notice the building sites being offered for sale. Its easy to see theres a 5-6 foot drop at the outer perimeter. That's because that wetlands, land that contains a creek tributary has been quietly filled in over the last few years - just before the access road was open to the public.

Now should all prospective sales information include a "wetland or flood zone warning" ?

Will all prospective home buyers be made aware that where their property line ends - nothing can be built or altered for their use and a tributary runs through it.

Although this has happened to other home owners south of William street in the past - they didn't find out until after they purchased their homes. The Town Planners knew all along about the flood areas and still approved the project. They knew the aging water lines leading to this area was insufficient - they approved them anyway.

One developer even advertised some building lots as "Lancaster Lake Front Lots" - to this day I cant find that lake ! What he should have said was these lots are adjacent to a retention pond - part of the flood water control.

So who is responsible when over burdened sewers erupt - when water lines burst - basements crack due to "settling" - who's responsible when a new home buyer finds out flood insurance will cost an extra $2-300.00 a month on top of home owners insurance. $2000- $3000.00 a year extra.

Can a person sue the Town for not doing due diligence before approving these new homes ?

Can they sue the developers for not telling them ?

Can they sue the sales agent ?

People don't talk about the defects in their investments - their pride and resale values would be hurt.
    Last edited by 4248; February 22nd, 2014 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Studying topo maps is not something an average future home buyer would do or even think about.
    I beg to differ. I did, my mom taught me this many moons before deciding to buy a home. Only a dummy does not....
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

This will be my 30th year living in the town of Lancaster. When I first moved here in 1985, the town housing population was very moderate, and as time progressed the town as expected naturally grew. 1000s of new homes have been added since then. What never, ever, ever happened, for god only knows what reasons, is the infrastructure required to PROPERLY service the rapidly expanding town was virtually IGNORED!!! In my particular case, ever since I have lived here, I have had water pressure issues, and continue to do so to this day. Although much improved, the system, as 4248 points out is still in need of MAJOR improvements and over hauls. I have seen, and know where to find, a study done by the town, in the year 1973 by the firm of Kriebel, Rugg and Hall if my memory serves me correct. This study outlined in verity good detail, what should be performed as the town expanded east and south. Until the time Giza rode to the "rescue", (he couldn't ignore it any longer), nothing had ever been done. He then patted himself on the back for the new Penora pump station, which actually was one of the items listed in the 1973 study. 30 years of growth later, the idiots finally did something. Never mind I had spent several nights standing in front of the town reps explaining the problems YEARS before the pump station was built.
    The ignorance of this town in regard to proper infrastructure planning is glaringly evident, yet no one is accountable. Until we elect individuals who truly care, and not these nepotist, kiss ass, political hack useless people we have now, nothing will ever change

Could have dug a well and been done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Could have dug a well and been done with it.
    errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, what?
    cmon frank, use a little thought. I have county/town water. why in the hell would I spend money to dig a well?

Quote Originally Posted by 4achange View Post
    errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, what?
    cmon frank, use a little thought. I have county/town water. why in the hell would I spend money to dig a well?
    Well, if ya have the money, to save yourself the aggravation of not having the pressure you say you did not have enough of.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 4achange View Post
    This will be my 30th year living in the town of Lancaster. When I first moved here in 1985, the town housing population was very moderate, and as time progressed the town as expected naturally grew. 1000s of new homes have been added since then. What never, ever, ever happened, for god only knows what reasons, is the infrastructure required to PROPERLY service the rapidly expanding town was virtually IGNORED!!!

In my particular case, ever since I have lived here, I have had water pressure issues, and continue to do so to this day. Although much improved, the system, as 4248 points out is still in need of MAJOR improvements and over hauls. I have seen, and know where to find, a study done by the town, in the year 1973 by the firm of Kriebel, Rugg and Hall if my memory serves me correct. This study outlined in verity good detail, what should be performed as the town expanded east and south. Until the time Giza rode to the "rescue", (he couldn't ignore it any longer), nothing had ever been done. He then patted himself on the back for the new Penora pump station, which actually was one of the items listed in the 1973 study. 30 years of growth later, the idiots finally did something. Never mind I had spent several nights standing in front of the town reps explaining the problems YEARS before the pump station was built.

The ignorance of this town in regard to proper infrastructure planning is glaringly evident, yet no one is accountable. Until we elect individuals who truly care, and not these nepotist, kiss ass, political hack useless people we have now, nothing will ever change
    What never, ever, ever happened, for god only knows what reasons........

The reasons are screwed up priorities.

Political party "favors" on how the money was spent. The political groups enriched themselves (labor contracts) instead of spending our money on maintenance us property owners need done. Then you get the stupid excuse of "our hands are tied, the unions wouldn't allow that, and so forth" while the infrastructure falls apart. Well who tied our hands for the most. The Erie County Democratic have controlled our community on average for the last few decades. What political party has controlled Lancaster for the most part? Right? Look at Buffalo. I'm pretty sure elected officials registered in the Erie County Democratic party have. Same goes to the town with the highest property taxes in Erie County, Cheektowaga. How about West Seneca? Which political party has controlled that town? What about our other towns in Erie County? They are doing such a good job that families and businesses have left our community.

Midterms elections are coming up. Let the Erie County Democrats and each supporting town board member own what Cuomo has done and what President Obama has done with our health care. Let them state they don't support the agenda but that is relevant. It isn't what they say it is what they do that makes a difference. If they don't support the agenda they should leave that party and join another.

I'm pretty sure if Governor Cuomo or President Obama came to visit for some event you would see many of the faces we see on our town boards front and center trying to get face time.

I have been making a point on facebook of commenting letting people know which local political party supports the crap people are complaining about. Let them know which political party is at fault here. You should to.

Check this out -
    In the Town of Lancaster, agricultural lands and woodlands that have been rapidly urbanized without adequate drainage systems have led to flooding of Ellicott Creek downstream in the Town of Amherst. A storm of record occurred in March 1960. Other large storm events occurred in March 1916, January 1929, March 1936, June 1937, March 1940, March 1954, March 1956, January 1959 and March 1963. The flood of March 1960 was estimated to have a recurrence interval of 20 years. Low-lying areas along Scajaquada Creek have been subject to flooding, with large storm events occurring in August 1963, September 1967, August 1975 and September 1977.

Housing and highway developments have obscured original drainage patters, eliminating some of the natural watercourses and combining or altering others. Flood problems are due primarily to rapid runoff during intense rainstorms with resulting flows in excess of channel capacities. The flood of August 1963 was estimated to have a recurrence interval of 40 years.

Along Cayuga Creek, flooding occurs nearly annually. Most of the floods are cause by rapid thawing of snow cover and often accompanied by rainfall. Ice jams, vegetative growth and debris contribute to flooding by clogging bridge openings and culverts in the stream channel. Significant storm events occurred in June 1937, March 1942, March 1955, March 1956, January 1959, March 1972, June 1972, August 1975 and September 1979. The June 1937 flood was estimated to have a recurrence interval of 500 years.

Plum Bottom Creek and Plum Bottom Creek North Branch are tributaries to Cayuga Creek, joining Cayuga Creek just inside the western corporate limits of the Village of Lancaster. Plum Bottom Creek and Plum Bottom Creek North Branch flood nearly annually as well. Significant storm events have occurred in June 1937, March 1942, March 1955, March 1956, January 1959, March 1972, June 1972 and August 1975.

Slate Bottom Creek is a tributary to Cayuga Creek joining downstream west of Union and French Roads by the New York Central Railroad. Significant storm events occurred in June 1937, March 1942, March 1955, March 1956, January 1959, March 1972, June 1972 and August 1975. (FEMA, Town of Lancaster, 2001)

https://www.rampp-team.com/county_ma...is_tables1.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Check this out -
    In the Town of Lancaster, agricultural lands and woodlands that have been rapidly urbanized without adequate drainage systems have led to flooding of Ellicott Creek downstream in the Town of Amherst. A storm of record occurred in March 1960. Other large storm events occurred in March 1916, January 1929, March 1936, June 1937, March 1940, March 1954, March 1956, January 1959 and March 1963. The flood of March 1960 was estimated to have a recurrence interval of 20 years. Low-lying areas along Scajaquada Creek have been subject to flooding, with large storm events occurring in August 1963, September 1967, August 1975 and September 1977.

Housing and highway developments have obscured original drainage patters, eliminating some of the natural watercourses and combining or altering others. Flood problems are due primarily to rapid runoff during intense rainstorms with resulting flows in excess of channel capacities. The flood of August 1963 was estimated to have a recurrence interval of 40 years.

Along Cayuga Creek, flooding occurs nearly annually. Most of the floods are cause by rapid thawing of snow cover and often accompanied by rainfall. Ice jams, vegetative growth and debris contribute to flooding by clogging bridge openings and culverts in the stream channel. Significant storm events occurred in June 1937, March 1942, March 1955, March 1956, January 1959, March 1972, June 1972, August 1975 and September 1979. The June 1937 flood was estimated to have a recurrence interval of 500 years.

Plum Bottom Creek and Plum Bottom Creek North Branch are tributaries to Cayuga Creek, joining Cayuga Creek just inside the western corporate limits of the Village of Lancaster. Plum Bottom Creek and Plum Bottom Creek North Branch flood nearly annually as well. Significant storm events have occurred in June 1937, March 1942, March 1955, March 1956, January 1959, March 1972, June 1972 and August 1975.

Slate Bottom Creek is a tributary to Cayuga Creek joining downstream west of Union and French Roads by the New York Central Railroad. Significant storm events occurred in June 1937, March 1942, March 1955, March 1956, January 1959, March 1972, June 1972 and August 1975. (FEMA, Town of Lancaster, 2001)

https://www.rampp-team.com/county_ma...is_tables1.pdf
    This problem is systemic, historically townships have a governing body that does not have expertise in areas such as, drainage, infrastructure, dog pounds, ect., so one would have to assume that the *Army Corp of Engineers* would be a government arm experienced in these areas (except for the dog pound). A board member once said that all these people need to know--is how to read and write.

There was a plan to start putting people in positions (Zoning, Planning, ect.) who have the skills to run/develop. We now see the downside of the lack of experience in these areas. For example, and not to beat a dead horse, the dog pound should have an experienced person in place to run that kennel.

Gorja, what are you trying to get at with this data?

I believe - like I have personally stated for my 28 years plus living in Lancaster - Lancaster and surrounding areas have had a history of flood events. Events that have been documented - studied - restudied.

The proper agencies like Corps of engineers - EPA - and others have been routinely dismissed , mislead and side stepped by our local Planning Board - Planning Board Liaison Councilmember Stempniak - Building inspector and Town Councilmembers.

Like the fact that no study of Ellicott creek has been done concerning the extra 18 million gallons a year being pumped into the creek - even during flood stages. Supervisor B.Giza and Councilmember Stempniak often just stated, "It actually helps the creek from freezing" -

In reality - it increases the flooding down stream starting in Bowmansville and onto the Glen Park area -

All along town hall has received information and even turned down a plan for flood control because they didn't want to acknowledge the issue and Supervisor Giza had stated he would rather bull doze the houses on Stony road than pay to correct the flooding.

The factual issues is no matter what Town you look at - they routinely disregard documented issues. They alter the flow of creeks - fill wetlands that act like sponges - they fill tributary's and disregard natural water run off areas - all for the sake of money.

The developers have vary tight relationships with local politicians - they sponsor fund raisers for them - the developers, builders and related companies donate to the Party Committees, campaign funds - all in a effort to get rezones - building permits and favorable board rulings for their projects.

Look at any Town that has expanded in the last 15 years or more - you'll notice that's the areas receiving new sewer lines - new water lines all paid for with tax dollars. Almost always those new lines are plugged into aged - over loaded and unmaintained lines.

Politicians know what comes next - they act like hero's when they announce new water lines for those older areas - a new pumping station for those suffering low water pressure - it will now cost tax payers millions of home owner tax dollars to correct what they actually created by over loading these systems. - All in the name of progress !

Money is the game - not progress !

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Gorja, what are you trying to get at with this data?
    How many concrete jungles (urbanization) have been developed since this data came out? How many wetlands were filled in since that time? How many drainage issues were corrected between the time of the report and the election of Dan Amatura as Highway Superintendent/drainage officer?

The town knew about these situations and kept on doing what they were doing.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information