Thread: Antoine Thompson's bad debts. Relevant?

Unregistered

Antoine Thompson's bad debts. Relevant?

This investigative article quickly follows Jim Heaney's piece exposing Casey's taxpayer-funding campaigning.

Do readers consider such personal misconduct relevant to worthiness for higher political office?

I have been repeatedly prosecuted for exposing such public information about City "leaders". I was ultimately forced to leave town, thanks to a massive cover-up housing crimes (& massive perjury) committed by Independence Party Chair & BMHA Commissioner Charlei Flynn.

Departed BMHA ED Sharon West, Charlie Flynn, West's friend Judge Jeanette Ogden, Masiello, HUD Manager Banko, DA Clark & his felony prosecutor Michael McHale orchestrated the cover-up.

None of it was mentioned as Flynn, deposed by his own Independence Party leadership, ran for Mayor on the IP line.
    The News was utterly silent about Flynn's much more serious crimes. And about the massive public corruption which supported him.

Why does the News care about misconduct of leaders now? Where were they when I needed them?

Dick Kern (safely in Mpls)

COPY:
    http://buffalonews.com/editorial/200...sp?PFVer=Story

Thompson's past includes debt trouble

By JAMES HEANEY News Staff Reporter
    1/29/2006

Creditors have taken legal action five times to recover debts owed by Antoine M. Thompson, a Common Council member and Mayor Byron W. Brown's choice to succeed him in the State Senate.
    The legal actions involved $5,757 in debt. Two involved unpaid credit card balances, another a debt he shared with Common Council Member Brian C. Davis for production of campaign commercials. The remainder involved legal fees and telephone bills.

Three of the bad debts have taken place since Thompson joined the Common Council in 2001.

Thompson acknowledged the payment problems and said all have been resolved. He questioned how they were relevant.

"These issues are in the past and are of a personal nature," he said. "I want to talk about what I've done as a Council member, what I'll do as a senator."

Thompson succeeded Brown as representative of the Masten District and wants to do the same in the Senate.

Earlier this month, Thompson said he might challenge Rep. Louise Slaughter, D-Fairport, in a September primary unless Democratic Party leaders nominated him to run in the Feb. 28 special election for the 60th Senate District.

Brown subsequently endorsed Thompson's Senate candidacy, but the party leaders Tuesday nominated Delaware Council Member Marc A. Coppola.

Thompson considered seeking a minor party line in the special election, but now says he intends to sit out that election and run in the September primary for the State Senate. All Senate and Assembly seats come up for election this fall. "People are afraid of me running and they're trying to take it into the gutter," Thompson said.

Thompson's debt problems date to his college years.

New York Telephone filed a judgment against him in 1989 for $768 in unpaid bills, according to public records. Thompson said the bills were incurred by a relative and that he paid the bills to keep the person out of trouble.

In 1991, Sears filed a judgment seeking $1,456.

"I was in college, I paid it off," he said.

Creditors have taken legal action three times since Thompson took public office.

In April 2001, Capital One Bank filed a judgment seeking $1,786. Thompson said it involved unpaid credit card bills and that he paid the debt soon after, although public records obtained by The Buffalo News do not reflect that.

In January 2002, Martin McGee sued Thompson, Davis and their campaign treasurers in Small Claims Court, claiming they failed to pay him for work producing television commercials for their campaigns. The court ruled in favor of McGee and ordered the four to equally divide the $2,700 bill, plus $15 in court fees.

The four failed to pay McGee within the 35 days the court ordered. Two months later, McGee obtained income execution orders against Thompson and Davis. These orders are typically used to garnishee wages. Court records show the bill was paid six months later, in September 2002.

Thompson and Davis said they were unsure if their wages were garnished.

Thompson called the matter "a messy situation." Davis said the arrangement with McGee was made by a third party.

The court, however, ruled the candidates and their treasurers were responsible for the debt.

Public records also show that an attorney for the mother of Thompson's child filed a judgment against Thompson in June 2003 for $1,078. Records show the judgment was satisfied in May 2004.

Thompson said the money went to cover legal expenses incurred when the woman petitioned Erie County Family Court seeking an increase in child support.

Neither the woman nor her attorney could be reached for comment.

e-mail: jheaney@buffnews.com

As much as this galls me to say, (I really dislike Antoine M. Thompson) you uncovered real corruption type stuff. That's a far cry from someone being late or even not paying there phone bill in 1989.

I am all for scrutiny of public officials but this seems kinda overboard. I really don't care that a politician was late paying his sears credit card or had legal problems with the guy that made his commercials.

Is there anyone alive living a middle class existence that hasn't had a problem with a bill they paid late at sometime or another?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

On the contrary. Some one should not be in a position of public trust if they have a history of money problems.
    In addition to that it shows a lack of understanding of budgeting, a skill that should be essential to a lawmaker who has to vote on budgets and expenditures.
    It is like putting a drunk driver in as a driver ed teacher.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Originally posted by citymouse
    On the contrary. Some one should not be in a position of public trust if they have a history of money problems.
    In addition to that it shows a lack of understanding of budgeting, a skill that should be essential to a lawmaker who has to vote on budgets and expenditures.
    It is like putting a drunk driver in as a driver ed teacher.
    so you have never been late paying a bill?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I am not running for public office.
    Aside from that, it looked like it was more than "one bill"
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    There's a difference of not paying a bill versus not being able to pay a bill you had not business incuring in the first place.

You should in general know how to budget what you have coming in. Plus you shouldn't commit to something unless you have the funds to cover the bill no matter what the out come.

My feelings exactly. In the case of a public figure it stops being a private matter when you hire him to legislate your budget, which you do by electing him.

Originally posted by citymouse
    I am not running for public office.
    So I guess in your estimation you would never make a good public official because you where late paying your phone bill back in 1998 or your sears card over 10 yrs ago?

No matter to me, as I stated I dislike him probably a lot more than anyone else on the board due to promises he made and never followed up on to an organization to which I am a member.

I just looked over those things and dont see anything that really seemed news worthy. I would guess at least half our public officials have had similar problems and most of the people I know have had hard times paying a phone bil or credit card before. If that alone disqulifies him for holding office than probably 80% of the american public isnt qualified.

I feel really wierd being on the side of someone I dislike so I will leave it at that.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So I guess in your estimation you would never make a good public official because you where late paying your phone bill back in 1998 or your sears card over 10 yrs ago?

But when is it considered cronic? An issue.

Is the issue being late or is the issue NOT paying the bill at all. Even an attempt.. something.

Bankruptcy

People file bankruptcy everyday. Would that necessarily stop them from getting your vote. Sometimes circumstances are out of peoples control, and if they want to keep existing , have to file bankruptcy. Look at how many private businesses fail, I've heard half that start ultimately fail. I don't think it is any revelation that a person had financial trouble in the past. Hopefully, he just couldn't afford it and if he did have the money he would have paid it. Struggling is one thing, a deadbeat is another.
    They hate us till they need us.

Originally posted by steven

If I decided to put my self in a position of public trust, where I was responsible for participating in creating a budget for a particular municipality, yes.
    It takes a lot of gall to ask to budget the peoples tax dollars when you default on your own personal household obligations.
    It becomes very relevant.

Unregistered

Re: Bankruptcy

Originally posted by PBAguy
    Hopefully, he just couldn't afford it and if he did have the money he would have paid it. Struggling is one thing, a deadbeat is another.
    NY telephone: $ 768 (1989)
    Sears Credit $1456 (1991)
    Capital One $1786 (2001)
    Child support $1078 (2003)

These were Judgements filed against him, not late payments.
    Add them up. They don't even amount to much. Looks to me like he blew them off.

Public records also show that an attorney for the mother of Thompson's child filed a judgment against Thompson in June 2003 for $1,078. Records show the judgment was satisfied in May 2004.

Thompson said the money went to cover legal expenses incurred when the woman petitioned Erie County Family Court seeking an increase in child support.
    He pays his own attorney, then blows off a court order to pay legal fees incurred by the mother of his child.

OBLIGATIONS. They don't appear to mean much to this man.

He lost my vote already.

Unregistered

Re: Re: Bankruptcy

You know, he's not showing his ability to accept personal responsiblity for his decisions here either.

Personal responsibility is not demonstated when one makes excuses for their misgivings.

Truth is, he has not shown to me that he is capable of handiling his finances. We all have bills to pay. We all have credit cards. We all may even miss a payment.
    But ... Who has Judgements on their credit report?

I understand that things happen. I understand that money gets tight. What I don't understand is how a man who seeks a seat on the NY State Senate can mismanage his personal finances, to the point where judgements were filed for failure to pay his creditors, then expect the voting public to believe he will be financially responsible to us.

How can you trust a guy th protect your interests when he dosen't pay up to support his own child?

Thread Information